Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

migrate existing premium account into a family plan as a sub-account?

Solved!

migrate existing premium account into a family plan as a sub-account?

Hi,

I already pay for a 2nd premium account for my daughter. I'd like to switch to a +1 family account to save a few bucks. 

Before closing my daughter's dedicated account, will she/I be able to automatically migrate all her playlists, etc over to the family account?

thanks,

Chris

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You don't need to close the account. You need to:
- Cancel both of your current Premium subscriptions.
- Once both of your accounts have dropped to Spotify Free (once you have used all of your Premium days), go to the family subscription page and sign up.
- Invite your daughters account to your family subscription.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'd like to follow up and say that the upgrade workflow from multiple premium accounts to a single family plan is now much easier, and there is no longer any need to cancel accounts or drop premium benefits before creating and/or adding people to a family plan.

I'm declaring this issue fully resolved.

View solution in original post

43 Replies
Marked as solution

- Once both of your accounts have dropped to Spotify Free (once you have used all of your Premium days), go to the family subscription page and sign up.

Peter

@Peter wrote:

You need to cancel each account and wait for it to drop to free?  You can't just upgrade to a family plan and have it charge 14.99 the next month?  If so.... terrible execution and will confuse people.

Yes, all accounts need to be on Spotify free to create or join the family plan.

Peter

@Peter wrote:
Yes, all accounts need to be on Spotify free to create or join the family plan.

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to upgrade to family without first downgrading my primary account. Now I'm just waiting for my daughter's premium days to run out before she can accept the invitation.

Can someone please explain the logic behind only allowing "free" accounts to be "upgraded" into a family plan?!?  Is it simply done this way to make it intentionally obtuse in the hopes that people will avoid combining their existing premium accounts?  If so, than that's a super evil reason to do things.  However, if it's "just too hard" then that says a lot about the engineering muscle they (don't) have at Spotify.  (might I point out that it took almost 18 months to enable the ability to delete a radio station).

@Dromedary - I would assume it is down to having only one subscription plan per account.

The admin account that pays for the family plan can upgrade directly, since any remaining premium time on that account can be converted to days on the new plan (before the first family plan bill) which is one plan on that account.

If you could invite a premium account to your family plan, that account would have two active subscriptions, the normal premium and the family plan.

Peter

While you wait for your daughter's premium days to run out are you being charged for full family plan or only when she joins?  I am trying to figure out how to migrate two kids to my account.

Good question. I think I was charged for the family plan in the meantime, but since the difference was less than $5, it didn't warrant any time/effort for investigation.

By downgrading to "free" don't I then lose my playlists?

@mrichter 

Downgrading to free does not delete your playlists. You will still have your playlists. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is all rather complicated. When I downgrade to free...I believe I lose all my fuctionality and playlists on my Sonos system. It happened to me already once before. And then, my daughter is close to the end of her "free" premium subscription via her mobile service provider. Not sure how to cancel that etc. This is all really difficult to manage - I would really hope that Spotify makes these things a bit easier from their end - gosh - in the end I WANT to pay for all users, and not just have my daughter use my own account. Seems that being honest is difficult at times.

Hopefully this will help others. 

I just did this: cancelled my £9.99 premium which had renewed about 2 days ago. Then re-subscribed as family plan. It didn't charge me the £14.99 as my account was still in premium for this month but allowed me to immediately invite the family member. It is now showing that I'll be charged next month for the first time at £14.99 which is the same date my previous premium account ran out.

So essentially it's very easy to do and you also seem to get a months (or however long until your next charging date) free of the family plan the way it works currently. 

Perhaps spotify could make this a little easier to upgrade an existing account but the way it currently works if by design or not can get you a free month, so well worth doing. 

HTH

This was surprisngly easier than what people said earlier.

1. While logged in on the browser, I went to spotify.com/family

2. Clicked Upgrade

3. Took me straight to the payment page for adding subaccounts

* I am a premium user in US

Cancelling the subscription and subscribing again with a different number of family members WORKS and YOU ARE NOT CHARGED AGAIN. When reinstaiting the subscription at a different monthly price, instead of charging more or giving credit for the difference, they change the end date of the billing cycle to reflect the prorated amount already paid. All the playlists and preferences are preserved. 

---------

The problem is that Spotify does not make these things clear and does not offer additional instructions on the relevant pages. If they added the few sentences I wrote in the first paragraph everyone would understand and they would probably save themselves a lot of customer support work.

I am having the same problem, but my account is already a free account and it still won't let me migrate to my husbands family plan. What should I do?

I found the answers on this page to be extrememly helpful:

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-family

Granted, my wife and I both have "Spotify.com-created" accounts, and aren't dealing with a third party, so I don't think upgrading will be very difficult for us.

For me and my spouse the upgrade process was pretty simple:

1) I signed to Spotify Family with my existing Premium account at spotify.com/family.

2) I sent an invite to her via Family plan management to the email address that's connected to her Spotify account.

3) She cancelled her existing Premium subscription and accepted the family plan invite.

4) Starting next month (after the Premium subsription's time ran out) we've been on the Family plan.

That's pretty much it. Hopes this helps someone!

Marked as solution

I'd like to follow up and say that the upgrade workflow from multiple premium accounts to a single family plan is now much easier, and there is no longer any need to cancel accounts or drop premium benefits before creating and/or adding people to a family plan.

I'm declaring this issue fully resolved.

Sorry, to clarify, I have upgraded to family as offered in a Spotify email. I have inv5item my partner who has accepted. However, she already has premium account. On her account it now shows she is linked to my family account. However what I am unsure of is how does she cancel her Premium or does she even need to? Thanks

Suggested posts