Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app using too much data? Post details here

Android app using too much data? Post details here

2013-01-09: This topic is now being continued in the new bugs section.

2012-12-06: Our engineers feel that they've gotten closer to identifying the issue. Not to get too technical, it may have something to do with some code that's buried deep in the app. The investigation continues while they try to pinpoint the issue so they can fix it without affecting other parts of the code.

2012-10-03: I just want to quickly update you and let you know we are aware of this bug, we haven't forgotten; and we're looking into it.

Resuming this, the original, thread.

As this issue looks like it's ongoing, but not for every Android user, I want to make sure we gather all the information we can.

(The previous thread is missing information we could use to help find a possible issue).

If you feel that your Android Spotify app is using too much data, either over WiFi or 3G, please copy/paste this template in a new reply and give us all the information you can.

Device model

E.g. Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, etc.

Device’s Operating System

E.g. 2.2 Froyo, 2.3.4 Gingerbread, 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, etc.

Is your device rooted?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

My mobile Spotify version

E.g. 0.8.4.

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4.

My mobile provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

Using too much data over 3G?

Yes/No

Using too much data over WiFi?

Yes/No

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

(Not necessary, per se, but good for us to know nonetheless)

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

How much data is being used by the Spotify app?

Please use any of the numerous tools and options available to give us an indication of how much data is being used AND over what period(eg. x MB/hour or y MB over the last 3 days)

There's an example in the original post by licenced.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

If so, please paste them here.

Community Ergo Sum
142 Replies

Re: Rotation...maybe this will help you (free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.rotationlocker&hl=en

Device model

Samsung Galaxy S2

4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (XWLPY)

Is your device rooted?

No

No

Vodafone Germany

Yes

I don't know

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

No

My username

37,20 MB in the last 8 days over3G, although I just used spotify once and I listened only to downloaded playlists.

No

Ok, so I'm back from my holiday. Still no fix. Still stock answers from the forum staff. 7 months after the problem was reported. Spotify still appearing to have the work experience kid on Android development duty.

I'm out. Subscription cancelled.

I'm also thinking about cancelling more and more. Here in The Netherlands there is an alternative: Deezer, though I'm not sure whether this will be an improvement over Spotify. 

Trying Grooveshark at the moment. It's cheaper but the music quality isn't great and the interface is probably worse than Spotify's old one! Deezer and for me Rdio look like good alternatives - I could very easily switch back to Spotify if Android development and bugfixing would be given higher priority... 🙂

Spotify on my mobile phone is also consuming hugely exorbitant amounts of data. I thougt that downloading all of my playlists to my phone and avoiding streaming music of 3G/4G would help, but it didn't. From November 7-27, Spotify has used 2.42 GB of data. 2.38 GB were from background data. What is Spotify doing in the background? This is really frustrating, as I am on a capped data plan. I get 4 GB per month, and more than half of it has basically gone down the drain because of Spotify.

Device model

Motorola Droid Razr (Original) 

Android 4.0.4

Is your device rooted?

No

No

0.5.4.73 (0.7.1.5797.gbec773d4)

0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Verizon Wireless, United States (Georgia)

Yes (Well, 4G to be specific)

Irrelevant

Yes

My username

jesuspulido90

About 2.5-3 GB per month, virtually no streaming over mobile data

I hope you guys can get this figured out. I love Spotify more than any other music service. I would hate to have to cancel my Premium subscription.

Device model

Sony Ericsson Experia Arc S

Is your device rooted?

no

no

0.5.2.87 (0.8.3.636 gf43da5f3)

0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Mobistar Belgium

Yes

probably

My username

joeldegraaf

10MB but my 3G was OFF and it still consumed data via 3G

and even though I switched to 'off-line modus' it consumed data while connected to 3G

so you cannot switch the data consumption off?

today i bought spotify premium from telekom, now all traffic by spotiy will not count to my data plan so i dont have the problem any more, but thats not a good solution for the problem. The battery draining by downloading not necessary data will stay.

ahhh bum. I just found out why my phone bill went thrugh the roof. Thnx Spotify...

booo

I think Spotify should reimburse us for the overages that they have caused those of us with data caps. It's kind of false advertising to say that you can download playlists for "offline" use when Spotify is still consuming huge amounts of data.

This was reported back in March/April time.

It is now December. 

Hurry up! I want to give you money... 

My subscription is cancelled, not giving you guys any money until this issue is fixed. I would very glad start using the app again, but the silence is once again deafening and more than a little insulting as someone who's paid £120 over the course of a year for the service.

Anyone out there? With more information than the normal condescending "we're working on it...?"

This was posted on page 1 of this thread yesterday:

"2012-12-06: Our engineers feel that they've gotten closer to identifying the issue. Not to get too technical, it may have something to do with some code that's buried deep in the app. The investigation continues while they try to pinpoint the issue so they can fix it without affecting other parts of the code."

I just want to add my comments to this report. I travel regularly between the UK and Australia and Spotify on my mobile HTC is my favourite travel comanion. I have been a suncriber to this service almost since it was first introduced but the regular re-synchronisation of my downloaded playlist several times a month is now a major financial cost. For example, in a 2 hour stop over in Singapore, I switched on my HTC mobile to check emails and messages as you do and it started to re-sync my Spotify playlist. Several weeks later my mobile bill arrived and I was charged AUD $632.00 for the privilage. Whilst this is the most I have been charged, it is quite normal to be charged sevel hundred dollars/pounds to have Spotify on my phone given that it is responsible for maxing out my data usage not once but several times per month. 

Ouch!

Device model HTC One

Device’s Operating System Android

Is your device rooted?  “No”

Are you using a custom ROM, No

My mobile provider and country EE/Orange

Using too much data over 3G? Yes

Using too much data over WiFi? Yes

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?  Yes

How much data is being used by the Spotify app? 265MB/4 days

Device model
Motorola Razr HD

Is your device rooted?
No

No

E.g. 0.8.4.

E.g. 0.5.4.73

Telstra Australia

Yes

N/A (haven't checked as I don't care)

(Not necessary, per se, but good for us to know nonetheless)
No

My username
To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

Please use any of the numerous tools and options available to give us an indication of how much data is being used AND over what period(eg. x MB/hour or y MB over the last 3 days)
300MB from 1-19th December

If so, please paste them here.

You need to fix this already. I'm tired of having to turn off my 3G to keep Spotify from eating up my data plan.

Device model
HTC One S

Is your device rooted?
No.

No

Djuice/Telenor, Norway

Yes.

Probably not.

My username
owesen

At least 200 mb pr. month. And then I have 3G turned off most of the time, just to prevent Spotify from using 3G.

*** THIS ISSUE HAS CAUSED ME TO GO OVER MY DATA PLAN, AND THUS COST ME MONEY ***

*** WILL THERE BE REIMBUIRSEMENT FOR THIS??? ***

Device model

Galaxy Nexus

Is your device rooted?

No

No

n/a

Verizon, US

Yes, consuming too much mobile data, whether 4g or 3g

I'm not sure of the data usage while connected to wifi

No

My username

tpnello

On my first usage cycle, Spotify consumed 200mb vs the next highest consuming app, Chrome, at 80mb.

During my most recent usage cycle Spotify consumed 371mb vs my next highest consuming app, Chrome, at 112mb.

Screenshot_2013-01-04-10-13-10.png

Guys,

It has been said many times, but there is a "solution" which will just block Spotify's excess data usage when it is running in the background (eg. phone locked, browsing other apps). It will not actually fix the problem, the programmers shoudl do that, but they don't really seem eager to do that.

Go to System settings > Data usage. Set a Mobile data limit there. Then in the list below the graph click Spotify scroll down and select Limit background data usage.

Spotify will then only be able to access the internet when the app is either activated (displayed on screen) or when you're on WiFi.

Suggested posts