Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get internal and external sd card to show up on the spotify software.

How to get internal and external sd card to show up on the spotify software.

Only my internal sd card shows up on spotify. How do I get my internal and external sd card to show up. 

22 Replies

Hey!

Welcome to the Community.

1. Open Spotify in your mobile
  2. Go to “More”, “Settings” and select “Clear saved data”
  3. Press More and then Log Out
  4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location
  5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card

Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager.

Hope that helps!

Recently, i get the error message 'SD card connected as read only' when i startup Spotify.

Never happened before, but apparently without changing anything this happens now everytime i start up spotify. Anyone knows how it can be solved (and how it possibly started?).

Hope to hear you!

do you know a file manager for an HTC Wildfire?

@lamianne wrote:

do you know a file manager for an HTC Wildfire?

You could plug it into your computer and browse over USB. Alternatively download one from the market - e.g. Astro, ES or Linda

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Hi,

I've followed the steps on this site to get my external sd working on my Galaxy S2:

http://www.julian-young.com/2011/04/21/finding-the-spotify-external-sd-location/

And I'm having this exact issue: 

Note:  For those that keep getting logged out and/or losing the SD Card setting. It seems there is a hidden xml file in the dbdata folder (which we can’t get access to unless your phone has root access) called spotify_preferences.xml

I don't have access to the root folder...

I did not however clear saved data as described in this post. Will this do anything to fix my problems?

I saw a comment in this post about getting both internal and extarnal sd to show up, don't I have to choose between the two? So when I set the sd location to external it only saves data there and don't know the internal one exists? 

Hi everybody. New to the forums.

When I first installed the new Spotify beta I was able to enter the path to my SD ext card. However, after downloading a couple of hundred songs, I could see that the music wasn't being stored there but on the internal memory. So I have followed direction on this forum to enter the path again. The problem is that when I get to the login screen and click on the Properties menu (is that the name for the hard button furthest to the left that is supposed to bring up the dialog to set the SD path?), nothing happens. My phone (Droid Razr Maxx) vibrates, but the dialog doesn't come up.

I have root access and there is no spotify_preferences.xml file. I have tried clearing my cachse, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and rebooting again, but I still can't get that dialog to open. It's scary because I haven't been able to find anyone else with that problem on the web so far. Any ideas?

The beta doesn't have this option. Best bet is to uninstall and install the Spotify app from the Google Play Store, and use that to enter the location. Ensure it's working before updating to the beta app.
----------------

Will try. Thank you!

I want to use the external and internal together at the same time. I have 8 gb on internal and 5gb on external. So I wanna use both.

Hi. That's not currently possible I'm afraid. Potentially good idea though so maybe post it to the ideas forum
----------------

Hello,

I recently just purchased a 32g SD card for my Samgsung Captivate Glide in hopes that I could store all my Spotify offline files on it, instead of my 3g of internal memory (I need that memory for basic functions of the phone) - However none of the steps in this thread worked on my phone. I'm given zero options as to where the stream-files are saved and am very frustrated.  Any help?

Most applications allow me to move apps from 'Phone' to SD Card, however this is not an option in the Applications Settings.

It is currently not possible to change the location where your offline files get stored.

A horrible omission from a music app, I shall say.

I'm speechless.  The external SD card was very expensive and it's sole purpose was to store a large amount of music for my trip to Israel, where I will be without access to pretty much everything. Also, for the two long flights.  Wow.  

Is there any sort of 'hack' if I root my cellphone? Or something of that nature?  This is really bumming me out as I listen a lot of music...

hi, was wondering if you could help.

Everytime I use Spotify to troubleshoot for such problems as above, the instructions do not match up with my spotify UI on my android Galaxy S2.

For instance when you say

• Open Spotify in your mobile
  • Go to “More”, “Settings” and select “Clear saved data”
  • Press More and then Log Out

when I go to settings, I do not have the option to "clear saved data" It's simply not there.

Also offline playlists does also not exist on my playlists and I do not have the option to sync offline.

Any help would be appreciated.

The instructions still have not been updated to the latest release. There is no clear cache option in the settings any more - you need to do this instead from.the android system setting under the Apps section
----------------

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Hi!

I have uploaded a video on youtube showing the workaround for this case.

I also noticed that when formatting the SD card the folder path for the External SD Card gets lost.

So then you have to do the steps again!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQ1HVYVzLw&list=UUaGwtRsRnn2bZPsnlKQfZWg&index=3&feature=plcp

When I tried to download the file I got the windows can not download file message

Appreciate the help, hope a working link pops up sooner than later 🙂 Every time Spotify updates, I cross my fingers that it will allow SD storage.

I can't help but think they removed this for a reason from the mobile app. Maybe they didn't want us having 32g of music on our phones from them? 😛

Suggested posts