Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing randomly

Music stops playing randomly

Spotify just randomly stops playing (like every 5-10 minutes online). I've read that memory should be cleared or it might be connection problem. I don't think so, as it is happening on different wifi networks (mobile network as well). I'm using galaxy s3 which is brand new, for sure there is enough space. I'm not facing problems with other audio applications, as radio for example.

Is there a fix for that? I'm really enjoying spotify, but with this bug it's impossible to use...

17 Replies

What OS version? Is this happening with streamed music or music available on the android device?

Android 4.1.2.

It occurs when listening on stream. I started using spotify so I don't have too many tracks offline, anyway with those few I didn't notice any problems.

I have the same issue! The audio will just go out but the music still plays, but sometimes it just keeps starting the song from the beginning with no audio. I've tried everything, from switching WiFi networks to using a task killer and restarting Spotify. 

Model: Nexus 4

Android Version: 4.2.2

Spotify Version: 0.6.5.183

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

@Piotr323 wrote:

Android 4.1.2.

It occurs when listening on stream. I started using spotify so I don't have too many tracks offline, anyway with those few I didn't notice any problems.

Hey. If this happens only when streaming then it sounds like communication issues rather than a problem with spotify. Are you streaming over wifi or 3G/4G? Do you still get dropouts when you switch to a lower quality setting? My ISP (Vectra) is terrible and sometimes I have to switch over to 4G when streaming which always fixes dropouts in the music.

Have you tried a clean reinstal

@Merik wrote:

I have the same issue! The audio will just go out but the music still plays, but sometimes it just keeps starting the song from the beginning with no audio. I've tried everything, from switching WiFi networks to using a task killer and restarting Spotify. 

Model: Nexus 4

Android Version: 4.2.2

Spotify Version: 0.6.5.183

l, Merik?

I've tried using WiFi and my data. Although, I just switched to Spotify Premium and I haven't had any issues since...go figure! I'll post again if the issue arises. Thanks for your help though!

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Good luck 🙂

Afrer few phone restarts music is playing stable from stream. On the same Wifi or mobile network.

Bumping my post. It's been happening again... a lot actually. It's not just my phone either, my mother who also has the same phone, same network, and Spotify subscription notices the same problem. We can have full bars with a data connection and Spotify will refuse to keep a steady connection. I'll have to restart Spotify completely just to get it to work correctly. It's also been displaying the no internet connection message at the bottom of the screen... when on WiFi and/or mobile data.

I have the same issue, Spotify just stops playing after 5-10 minutes.

I do not have yet a premium subscription. I just play Spotify in random mode over wifi on my Samsung Galaxy. There is definitively no problem with my wifi or phone.

Any solution? Please help.

Thanks, Christian

If it happens when streaming, make sure that wifi optimisationis off and keep wifi on during sleep is enabled - both in the android wifi advanced settings.

This happens to me too. I'm running Android 4.1.2 on Xperia V with Spotify premium and latest software of everything. It happens on both wifi and mobile network, and both when I'm using the phone and when screen is "inactive". Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens twice or thrice, and sometimes up to 20 times in a row before I can actually listen to the music normally. It doesn't matter if I play offline playlists or stream. To clarify, it doesn't just refuse to play the next song, the app is actually closing itself down completely. I have to relaunch the app to start playing again. 

Besides this problem, the Spotify icon in the notification bar has disappeared. I can live with that, I guess, but it is quite annoying. Also, sometimes the little bar displaying the current song disappears. This however is easily solved by force stopping Spotify and relaunching. 

I'm only using the proper app, no widget or third party apps, and I have cleared data and cache, uninstalled and deleted the com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder and reinstalled - twice. Hasn't helped so far.

These issues makes me feel that I can hardly make use of my premium account anymore - both annoying and saddening, since I've grown to love Spotify over the last few years. I'd be extremely grateful for any help.

Same for me

When a song ends the next song starts playing (progress bar and everything) but you don't hear anything, sometimes forwarding to the next song or going back to the previous song causes that song to play silent as well, Sometimes it happens after 1 song in a certain playlist, sometimes after 3, 10, whatever, seems random, and always only when I´m over 3G or 4GLTE

Running over Android 4.3 (Samsung Galaxy S4. T-mobile)

I have a very similar problem on my Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2). I think it stops playing any time it tries to go to commercial.

The problem is the app.  Pandora (boooooo), works fine.  I've scoured the forums and have tried all the suggestions.  And you have too, right?  But, nothing works.  It's not our phones.  It's not our network connections.  It's not third party apps or battery saving stops.  It's the Android app.  Someone prove me wrong. I've chased every rabbit trail.  I crossed paths with some of you all along the way.  Every possibility has been explored.  The last remaining possibilty is that the app is broken.  Thoughts?   

I experience this on wifi as well.  So, let's check some boxes; Wifi, 3G, and 4GLTE.  Check, check and check.  I believe the problem is the app itself.  Pandora works fine under the same circumstances.  It's gotta be the app.  That's good news...I think.  It means it can be fixed.  Now, I just hope they get busy on a solution.  Pandora is my fix for this but I miss Spotify.

Hey guys 🙂 

I have opened this as a bug for the Spotify teams to investigate. If you could all add the requested details to this bugs tracker it would be most appreciated. 

Just so we can keep all of the data in one place, I am going to lock this topic for now. A huge thank you to you all for taking the time to report this! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts