Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My music keeps stopping

My music keeps stopping

Hello, does anyone know why every song quits playing after about two minutes or so? It's so annoying, especially when I'm working and have to stop just to press play to start the song again. Can someone help me with this problem? I've already uninstalled it twice and nothing.
37 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What device is this occuring on?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

**correction..i meant working out.

Hello! Thank you! 🙂 My cell phone

And what platform is it on android, iOS?

Peter

Peter

Android

That is strange, are you streaming over 3G/4G or WiFi? 

Does this happen with offline synced playlists or just when streaming? 

I am also going to move this into the android section 😉 

Peter

Peter

I'm experiencing the exact same thing after the last update that came this week (I think?). Songs play ok for a couple of minutes, then the sound disappears but the progressbar keeps moving until the song ends. After that it will not continue to play the next song in the playlist. If I manually play the next song, it will play OK for a couple of mins until the sound disappears agin.

Note nothing has changed with my phone other than the update that I installed this week. It worked fine prior to this. I'm using an HTC Desire S with android 2.3.5. As at stands now this app is broken and completely unusable for me.

Hi, I'd also like to mention I'm experiencing what sounds like the EXACT same issue on my HTC Incredible 4G LTE.  Recent update, songs will play and will usually just stop somewhere midway in the song, sometimes I will get to the second or third song, but always it stops somewhere in the middle and I've not gotten past the third song since this started happening. (First noticed it on wednesday, Feb 13).

@tmenard wrote:

Hi, I'd also like to mention I'm experiencing what sounds like the EXACT same issue on my HTC Incredible 4G LTE.  Recent update, songs will play and will usually just stop somewhere midway in the song, sometimes I will get to the second or third song, but always it stops somewhere in the middle and I've not gotten past the third song since this started happening. (First noticed it on wednesday, Feb 13).

Does this happen on WiFi and on 4G? 

As it currently stands, the Spotify application does not support 4G networks to my knowledge. 

Peter

Peter

It was actually only confirmed on 4G, I haven't put it on wifi yet.  However, these are all supposed to be downloaded songs, I'm not even streaming, so that shouldn't matter, should it?  I've been using spotify for about 4  months or so and haven't had this issue until now, and I have a few hundred songs downloaded on my device, although another issue I've noticed recently is that the application is trying to re-download all of the songs, which may be unrelated, but I don't understand why it is doing that.  That being said, I have successfully listened to my songs continuously for over an hour while on offline mode, so it seems like it is a recent quirk or issue.

I'm having the same issue. Samsung Galaxy Nexus and using Android 4.2.2

When playing downloaded songs in Spotify I find that every other song or so will just stop playing. No reason for it and as soon as I hit play it carries on as though nothing happens. Sometimes this can happen 2 or 3 times per song??

I've tried re-installing Spotify (a pain in the arse I might add when you have a lot of stuff downloaded to your phone and have to re-do it all!) and that made no difference at all!!

This coupled with the issue of too much data being used when I have the background data use un-restricted is giving me serious issues with the whole platform!!

I have my phone with Orange/EE in the UK and as a result I get free mobile Deezer to use. As much as I prefer Spotify the fact I have NONE of these issues with that platform is making me think about cancelling this totally and using the money to pay for the desktop version of that...

Sad times when they're more interested in releasing an update to include 'language' options rather than address any of these basic usability problems!!

I am having a similar issue. I am using HTC Inspire 4g on Android 4.2.2.  The volume while playing on wifi or 4g goes up and down and up and down and a lot of sounds are very staticy. Bass sound in particular in hip hop music.  Sounds like a blown speaker.  

To clarify, the hardware is working fine because ALL other music programs work 100%. YouTube, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, etc.. so it is definitely a problem with Spotify and Android 4.2.2.  All was well on 4.2.1.

@plopdawg wrote:

I am having a similar issue. I am using HTC Inspire 4g on Android 4.2.2.  The volume while playing on wifi or 4g goes up and down and up and down and a lot of sounds are very staticy. Bass sound in particular in hip hop music.  Sounds like a blown speaker.  

To clarify, the hardware is working fine because ALL other music programs work 100%. YouTube, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, etc.. so it is definitely a problem with Spotify and Android 4.2.2.  All was well on 4.2.1.

I would suggest you follow all of the steps outlined in the android troubleshooting guide as normally removing the Spotify files and a clean reinstall fixes those playback issues. 

You might also be interested to know that Spotify don't officially support 4G yet, so there might be additional issues stemming from that. 

Peter

Peter

Thanks hammeh.  I have been tinkering with it alot yesterday to narrow down the issue.  Based on the other replies to this I believe this is a 4.2.2 compatability issue.  I clean flashed 4.2.2 and still broken.  I clean flashed to the lastest build with 4.2.1 and everything is normal.  Other users on different devices are reporting the same issue when they upgrade to 4.2.2 and not on 4.2.1.  Also, I am not truley on 4g with the Inspire, it is the HSPA+ network.  Regardless, does not work on wi-fi or hspa+.  

Conclusion: Don't upgrade to 4.2.2 until Spotify releases an update for it if you use Spotify regularly. 

I have a galaxy note 5 and I am running into the same problems as mentioned above. Songs will just stop mid-song. Can it be fixed?

Hi, this isn't just related to Android 4.4.2. I'm on Android 5.1 and I'm having the same issue.

BTW, it's funny how clueless Spotify is about this issue. All we've been given are vage troubleshooting options like reinstalling the app.

Galaxy note 5
Spotify 4.1.0.868 premium
Same plus a bunch of other glitches things

i have the same issue with the song always stop. i've tried to logout my acount and login it again,and as of now i have played 10 songs and still not yet stop, i think my problem was solved. but ill update you guys if this problem back.

I am having this issue of the app crashing but normally under these issues.

The app is running while the phone is locked, the app normally crashes

I find that it is normally on bigger running time say a 6-12 minute song.

Normally crashes while on I have no signal it will occasionally crash with 4G or connected to WiFi but not as much as no signal.

I have tried alternative headphones and also just running music on speaker but still with the above issues.

I tried a clean install yesterday and I am getting less crashes but this could also be down to me removing other apps.

I also tried closing other apps to see if this was any different but still the same as above.

I have a Galaxy S6 running on Android 5.1.1.

Suggested posts