Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PSA] Clean install is not always clean enough

[PSA] Clean install is not always clean enough

There isn't a bug tracker, so I need to post here.  Hopefully "clean install" instructions will be amended so no other users will have to go through this.  The report that follows should have never happened.

== Begin Report ==

Brief description of the issue:

Corrupted Cache/DB junk can persist on between reinstalls of app causing sluggish or broken behavior.  "Delete Cache and Saved Data" is not thorough enough.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Install Spotify
  2. Use spotify for some years, upgrading OS and Spotify app as expected.
  3. Spotify app inexplicably gets stuck in loading cycles, with issues persisting across clean reinstalls and in-app setting wipes.

What steps you’ve tried already:

Tried reinstalling app.   Tried reinstalling old app versions.  Tried the Delete Cache and Saved Data.  Tried Log Out From All Sessions.  Restarting app many times would restore interactivity briefly after app startup.  Playback would work as expected but searching would soon stall on both WiFi and 3G/LTE connections.  

Your device and operating system (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4, 5.1.1)

Blackberry Z10 and Blackberry Passport.

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

All releases from late 2013 to Present.

Workaround/Resolution

Wipe Android/data/com.spotify.music folder from SD card.  When I checked, I had files in here dating back to early 2014 that the "Delete Cache and Saved Data" button obviously ignores.  App now runs fine after months of terrible behavior.

== End Report == 

Part of the reason I never reported this before is the community kneejerk reaction will inevitably be "oh this is a problem because you use BlackBerry and we don't support their unofficial fork".  No the reality is, a clean install isn't clean and a button in the Spotify app that should remove SD data, doesn't remove SD data.

I have read through troubleshooting steps now and disagree that SD card removal should be first priority, removing this cache should be first priority (especially on devices that one cannot remove the SD card on)

1 Reply

Suggested posts