Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing spotify through car speakers using android smartphone

Solved!

Playing spotify through car speakers using android smartphone

Hi guys

Can anyone help me out with this..

Ive recently bought a new car and I am trying to play spotify through the car speakers using my htc android smartphone.

Ive got a premium spotify account and use it on my mobile already.

The car doesnt have an AUX input (as far as I can see) so I cant connect it that way.

There is a USB port in the car and its bluetooth compatible however when i try to connect the phone via USB the spotify app wont run on my phone.

Would I be able to connect the phone to the USB port in the car using a jack to usb cable? Would that work? I dont want to waste money on one of the cables if it wouldnt.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there. 

I've not heard of a jack-to-USB converter cable before so not sure about that. What's the purpose of the USB port in the car though? Is it intended to allow you to plug in an external music source - maybe a USB stick containing MP3s? If that's the case then it wouldn't work with the Spotify app on the phone anyway as the song files are not stored as MP3 and will only play through the app itself.

I play songs through my car speakers from the Spotify app using a jack to radio signal converter, and then tune the radio to that frequency - something like this (although cheaper, similar things are availabe) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-UniversalPlus-FM-Transmitter-Charger-Car-NEW-/380420727...

Dave

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there. 

I've not heard of a jack-to-USB converter cable before so not sure about that. What's the purpose of the USB port in the car though? Is it intended to allow you to plug in an external music source - maybe a USB stick containing MP3s? If that's the case then it wouldn't work with the Spotify app on the phone anyway as the song files are not stored as MP3 and will only play through the app itself.

I play songs through my car speakers from the Spotify app using a jack to radio signal converter, and then tune the radio to that frequency - something like this (although cheaper, similar things are availabe) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Auto-UniversalPlus-FM-Transmitter-Charger-Car-NEW-/380420727...

Dave

----------------

You know what mate I think that would do the trick!

In my old car I used an i-trip transmitter from my ipod nano and played it through the radio.

I never realised there was an adaptor like this though.

Yeah the usb only plays mp3s off my phone.

Thanks very much. You're a legend.

No problem! Like I said there are cheaper versions - I just found one, also an iTrip, for a tenner - older model I think. The thing I have at the moment is a knock-off - cheap and tacky and probably won't last long, but only cost a fiver I think

----------------

I just ordered an itrip universal off amazon there. Smiley Very Happy

One other question: does it drain the battery of your mobile pretty badly?

I read in the product description something about a USB connection aswell which means you can charge will listening? Is that correct?

It will drain the battery at the same rate as if you were listening to music through your headphones. The photo of the item on the ebay auction I linked to show that the itrip has a usb passthrough though so you can charge your phone from the same lighter socket that the itrip is plugged into
----------------

Suggested posts