Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Save to SD Card

Solved!

Save to SD Card

As a newbie who has just purchased a Samsung S3 mini I do not know how to download music to my memory card in order to listen to music offline.

Could you advise which app download from the app store as currently I am "working blind" - my phone is syncing on my pc but I cannot see what is actually happening on the phone .

I am thinking of switching from O2 to Giff Gaff to gain unlimited streaming.  It is an o2 subsidiary.  Good or bad idea do you think?  I thought this might solve the hassle of constantly downloading.  When they say "unlimited internet" do they mean "unlimited data allowance" - and would this also lead to the drop out problem if I stream in my car as opposed to downloading to an SD card.

I am hoping if I manage this I can do the same with Google Play and leave Itunes forever.

Any opinions?  Cheers.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just having a read at the release notes from when SD card storage was reintroduced. They say:

Please note: if you were using the Spotify app already and you want to change the location where your playlists are stored, you need to exit the Spotify app, go into your device's Settings, Apps, Spotify, then tap Clear data and Clear cache.

So make sure you are running the most up to date version of the app and then give it a go?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@robbiespence wrote:

How do I move songs from phone memory to SD card?

I signed up to Spotify Premium in January 2015. I got a 32 GB SD card in February. I’ve been downloading music to listen to offline and have just found that my Samsung S3 mini phone memory (built-in memory) is full and none of my downloaded music has gone to the SD card. Pretty frustrating. I’ve looked up the community advice. Uninstall and Reinstall Spotify – done, but makes no difference. Now I see an option to delete all from Spotify except the app itself. Have I really got to take this option and start again downloading everything with a new destination (ie SD card) or is there a SIMPLE way to just MOVE my songs from phone memory to SD card?

Some people have had luck with Apps2SD apps on the Play Store. You could always try manually moving the \Android\data\com.spotify.music\ folder from your phone memory to the sd memory then reboot!

It may then detect the new location and continue using it; else it may become corrupt and you will then have to perform a clean install; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

58 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

The Spotify application will decide automatically the best place to store your offline content (well, in theory - it doesn't always appear to work!), so if you have more space free on your SD card than on internal storage then it should save on the SD card. 

As for GG, I am not sure about the data usage, but "unlimited" data rarely actually exists, especially in the UK! 

Peter

Peter

Dear Peter

Thanks for welcoming me to the community.

I have managed to locate my Spotify on my phone memory - but not a method for transferring it on to my SD card having made the wrong choice - I do recall being asked where I wanted to save it.  I am now stuck - unless I can locate the app I had on my former phone which enabled me to move files about.   I will try an android community forum as I did last time to try and solve this problem though I am ok at the moment.

Just out of interest, is it possible to have as many versions of Spotify as I like - i.e. can I store 4gb of music offline - and then re-start with another sd card - I have aread on the forum that in fact you have to buy music if you want to keep it forever.

Thanks for the warning re "unlimited" data usage.  I will investiage before I switch to Giff Gaff.

See you soon.

Sue

Hey there!

Spotify will choose best available place to store content in first install. So if you want to change it from builtin memory, just re-install app and it will automatically choose then best place. If you have Micro-SD that is lower tham builtin in memory, just fullfill your builtin memory with some videos etc. (you can delete those videos then after successfull install of Spotify to external memory).

I recommend Unlimited data plan for Spotify. I use in Finland Saunalahti's plan in Elisa network with 2 Mbps speed in my smartphone. I have need to pay monthly 9,90 € and I get 100 minutes of calls to all Finnish networks and 25 sms/mms to all networks worldwide and also Unlimited 2 Mbps / 0.5 Mbps 3G internet. This with 9,90 € in month. I use 5-15 GB in month of data in my smartphone and never got any warning about too much data etc.

I use also Saunalahti's 4G plan up to 100 Mbps in Dual Carrier / LTE network (in some areas only 3G or 2G available) with Unlimited data plan with data transfer about 100 GB in month (14,90 € / month for year offer) then I change slower 4G speed (50 Mbps). Never received any warnings about my big data usage with Huawei E392 (100-300 GB in month). I use it as my main connection!

Thanks HP I will do this and look at unlimited data plans.

@Hirvaker wrote:

Spotify is not choosing the best place to store my music! I have an empty 32GB SD card in my phone whereas internal storage is a mere 8GB. How can I get Spotify to sync tracks to my SD card? 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have you only just installed the application for the first time, or have you been using Spotify for a while? 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

Just having a read at the release notes from when SD card storage was reintroduced. They say:

Please note: if you were using the Spotify app already and you want to change the location where your playlists are stored, you need to exit the Spotify app, go into your device's Settings, Apps, Spotify, then tap Clear data and Clear cache.

So make sure you are running the most up to date version of the app and then give it a go?

Peter

Peter

No worries, enjoy!

Peter

Peter

Peter, where are these buttons you refer to in your signature? "Resolved" and "Me Too"?  I want to click the Me Too button!  I am trying your solution - clear data and redownload - but dont know yet if it is solving the problem. What idiot imagined we wouldn't want to store things on SD cards, and what uber-idiot made it impossible to choose? I love Spotify's basic premise and the music I get is great, but their wretched front-end software is about to make me quit my Premium account.

@etrose wrote:

Peter, where are these buttons you refer to in your signature? "Resolved" and "Me Too"?  I want to click the Me Too button!  I am trying your solution - clear data and redownload - but dont know yet if it is solving the problem. What idiot imagined we wouldn't want to store things on SD cards, and what uber-idiot made it impossible to choose? I love Spotify's basic premise and the music I get is great, but their wretched front-end software is about to make me quit my Premium account.

The "Accept as solution" button should be on my post in the bottom right corner of the post. The "Me Too" option will only show on the first post in a topic, since you "Me Too" - I'm having the same issue, rather than "Me Too" - Trying this solution if you know what I mean. I don't design the community software haha!

Peter

Peter

It was as simple as clearing the cache and it is now storing on my SD card.

What was strange was that I had only 200 MB on internal storage (google play music is being deleted now) and I only had 25GB on my SD card.

Don't know what kind of math is used to determine, but mine really should have been a no-brainer.

Glad this post worked in less than a few minutes, so no big loss.

Thanks!

I'm having a similar problem, but on my Windows 8 phone. Spotify is just staying on the phone memory instead of going to SD card, I have tried uninstalling and re installing but nothing has changed. (I know this is android area, but there is no Windows Phone area, you'd think Spotify would set one up but nooooo)

The windows phone 8 area is here and you'll find several discussions concerning the fact that Microsoft will not allow third party apps to write to the external SD card.

I have the same problem with my mobile phone with android, and I'm thinking to quit the Premium suscription. I have another problem with that: the momory of the phone is filled with the offline lists, and even if I unistall spotify, the memory stay filled and I have to reboot my phone.

@juan_o Just follow the steps in this post to have spotify use your external SD card. The cache can be cleared from spotify/settings or from the android application settings at any time but, hopefully you won't need to do this once you get the app to store its cache on your external SD 🙂

Thanks a lot  you Joe, the link takes me to another link 'clean installation', but thos other link takes me to https://support.spotify.com/es/,

Anyway, my problem is not to install Spotify in SD card (as I don't have an SD card), but to install it in the internal memory. The phone have two storages, Internal Storage (4 Gigas), and the Phone memory (1.5 gigas). And Spotify is installed at the phone memory. And as I say, even unistalling it, some files stay in the phone: form the memory 1.5 gigas, only are avalaible 257 Mb, but the phone only reports  619 Mb with data. And that happens after installing and uninstalling Spotify. Till now, to clean that, I have to reboot the phone. I have tested that twice and the problem comes with spotify.

My phonei  is Sony Xperia L.

Hello,

Problem solve with phone cache cleaning.

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">// function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; // </script>

Suggested posts