Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Saving to internal memory and SD Card

Solved!

Saving to internal memory and SD Card

I got Moto G 4g (android 4.4) 8gb of internal memory and 32gb in the SD one. I can't understand why but my spotify when it downloads my music, during the download I see the storage gets busy in both of memory slots. It seems that it's saving music twice (in internal memory and in sd card). Is that normal?

Have tried all of the fixes time and time again really need some help

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you try without the SD card in. Does it open OK? It may be that you SD card has a corrupt sector.

If it works without the SD card in then backup the data from the SD Card an format it in a PC & run chkdsk /f

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Android Troubleshooting:

Not being rude but did you read my question ?
I have used this guide inclusive of other forums and suggestions but still have no fix. When I download music to use offline it downloads to BOTH my SD card AND my internal memory

I did read your question, and as stated most issues are resolved by following that guide.

I am aware you state you've tried all fixes; but how do I know if you've read that particular guide? You need to explain what you've tried so that we don't go over old ground. I'm trying to help you troubleshoot and hopefully fix your problem, being discourteous is not really the right approach is it?

So what have you tried? Can you explain why you state that the music is going to both internal & SD memory? Have you used a disk anaysis tool (such as the tool is ES File Explorer) to help identify the volumes/folders with the most memory and can see that Spotify on both volumes is large? Or in fact have you just looked at the App Settings within Android and seen that it states "SD Card data" & "Data" with the same usage? I've noticed this and whilst the values match (or are close) whe in fact you interrogate the internal memory (by using the mentioned method) you see that there is no data on the internal memory and this value is an accumulation of the total.

Please check and let me know, I suggest you try to be a bit more passive as after all this is a community and we are all just users trying to help each other... I assume this is why you came? Looking for help and answers... If you wish to be padantic and obfuscous with your responses then the only one who will lose out is yourself.

Android Troubleshooting:

Sorry just spent half of my night on this to avail.

Just looked at it through app settings via android how do I interrogate the internal memory to check this ? Not quite sure what you mean by using the method above

Thanks

That's OK.

Do you have ES Explorer nistalled? If not, grab it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

It's a really good file manager app, and has some additional tools such as the disk analyst tool (which is what we'll use).

If you install and open ES and open the menu (swipe from the left of the screen)  and then under the tools header there's an option call "SD Card Analyst". This is a really useful too to show you how much much data is being used and where it is. You can change whether it's looking at your internal memory or SD card at the top.

Have a look... Spotify data is normally stored in "\Android\data\" and is a folder "com.spotify.mobile".

If this folder existts in your internal memory then that's where your cache is. Also check the SD card. If you can find it in both locations then there's an issue and you should uninstall the app, delete the folder from both locations (if still there) and then re-install.

Android Troubleshooting:

Hi so I tried this method but when I reinstalled the cache is created on both my SD and internal memory any suggestions ?

One trick that might work... clear your cache. Log back into the app and before you do anything open the settings and change the download quality to 'Extreme'. Now try and download something and see if your SD card gets used.

Android Troubleshooting:

Just tried the whole delete cache reinstall now my Spotify once reinstalled won't open and says "Unfortunately Spotify has stopped working" and gives me the option of either stopping or reporting.. How can something seemingly simple be next to impossible ?? Haha
Marked as solution

Can you try without the SD card in. Does it open OK? It may be that you SD card has a corrupt sector.

If it works without the SD card in then backup the data from the SD Card an format it in a PC & run chkdsk /f

Android Troubleshooting:

Screenshot_2015-01-22-10-15-25.png

Screenshot_2015-01-22-10-15-31.png

Those are the messages when I try to delete those folders sorry for the double post on phone now difficult to format

So yea is that the corrupt sector on my SD card ? Because when I tried to reinstall without the SD card as you suggested I was able to open Spotify with no problem. So my next question is how do back up the SD card as you said in your prior post never done this before

Ah, to delete the folders manually you may have to use the file manager that came with your phone... it's an annoying Android 4.4 limitation.

To format your SD card, firstly backup any files/folders that are on there. Ideally using a card reader and a PC just simply insert the card into the card reader, pop t into a PC USB and you'll see it as drive. copy all folders/files out onto your PC... you can then right click on the drive from 'My Computer' on Windows and format the disk. Afterwards, again right click on the disk and select properties. Now go to 'Tools' and run the disk check and select to fix any errors.

If you don't have a card reader to do all the above then using the cable that came with your phone you should be able to just connect it to your PC... it should hen appear as a drive and you can follow the same steps as above to grab the files from the SD Storage

Android Troubleshooting:

I have this exact same problem. I deleted cache from internal. But it still is saving offline music to SD card and internal memory. My SD card is formatted as portable. Would this be a reason?

Hi,
This worked for me. First while your phone is switched on, remove the sd card. Check your storage, for me phone storage was no longer being used. So that means that the music is stored on the sd card. So what I did was I turned off my phone with no sd card in. I then put the sd card in and started the phone. The issue was then gone.

this didn't work for me

still writing to both

with holidays coming I need this resolved

it is affecting my phones performance

come on spotify,.what is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMOVE SOLVED FROM THIS THREAD!!

Always someone have experienced the same problems I have. Really like this kind of forums (but I actualy prefer when no one has troubles at all..)
Gonna try all steps now. Thanks!

Suggested posts