Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search not working

Search not working

Hi, just loaded the app but the search does not return anything. This is on a HTC sensation on android 4. The only search that works is voice.
13 Replies

Please note I am in online mode not offline.

Dazzam - Are you having this trouble on the official app from the Google Play store, or the newer Android preview app?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Sorry for being such a cynic, but I see two possible answers coming from Spotify support here...

1. If the user is using the current Android app the suggestion will be to upgrade to the preview app and see if the search works there.

2. If the user is already using the preview app the answer will be something along the lines of... This is only a preview app and our developers are still working on it. Hopefully the search will work better when the new Android app is finally released.

On both. Although on the play store version there is an Orion to use google voice. Which works to a point. However on the preview app there is no google voice option. Really frustrating as I have to search for music on lap top then add to play list that way.

Dazzam - Just to clarify, are you logging in with the username 'dazzam' here? It looks like you have two accounts, a free account and a Premium account. If you use the username 'dazzam', you should be able to login and search. If you're accessing the free account, this won't be possible.

Steve - No need to be a cynic. The preview app does appear to sort a lot of issues with ICS, as it's compatible. This is why we suggest it. It is a preview app, yes, but this doesn't mean we won't help troubleshoot.

If you feel as if you can offer any support at all, as an Android aficionado, please do so.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I am using the dazzam account, did not know I had another account. Can you delete the other as I should only have dazzam. What is the other account, could that be the problem?

Ok. Firstly, can you try an entire clean reinstall of Spotify, but only install the preview app. You can get directions here: http://www.spotify.com/help/faq/tech/clean-reinstallation-of-spotify/

Does this happen when you're connected to a WiFi network as well as a 3G network?
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Ok, I have done all the above and still no joy. This is the same over WiFi or 3g. I now don't have the googlevoice option either. I am on HTC sensation android 4.0.3. When going into search it brings nothing back not even songs in my playlists. I am using it online. Darren

I'm using the preview app on Android 4.0.3 on a HTC One X and the search is working fine.

Maybe your problems are just a misunderstanding of how the search works. A couple of points I would make (and Sam can correct me if I'm wrong):

1. The search function on Android does not appear to search amongst your playlists or local tracks (or if it does it does not specifically highlight that's where it got hits)

2. The search function on Android does not dynamically return results as you type like on the desktop client. You need to hit enter on the Android keyboard for the search to execute.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but you'd be surprised how often that a simple misunderstanding can be the cause of someone thinking that something is not working.

Doh, how stupid do I feel now.  Yeah I was expecting a dynamic search feature but I have sussed it now.

Many thanks for everyones help and sorry for being such a daft one.

Many thanks

Darren

I'm having the same problem on my htc one although it was not solved by striking the return key. Oddly, I was able to search earlier today. 

I'm having this at the moment. I'll ask around.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Mine seems sorted. How's yours getting on?
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts