Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Solution: No Storage Area Found

Solved!

Solution: No Storage Area Found

UPDATED: 3/20/2016. SEE BOTTOM OF POST.

Good Morning my Fellow Music Lovers, 

I've ran into the Infamous "no storage area found, and after a chat with support, met no resolution...  So since I can't let a problem go, I decided to get to the bottom of this...  Below is the step by step (with pictures) that led to my resolution, and some pointers that aren't quite verified as i'm waiting for my new microsd cards to get here so I can test the root cause more effectively.

First you have to clear all of the app data, if your issue is similar to mine, you can't do this from the spotify app because it won't open, so follow along with the blue circle and the captions...  

1 Open settings on your device.

1 Go To Storage1 Go To Storage2 Select Internal Storage2 Select Internal Storage3 Select Used Space3 Select Used Space4 Select Apps4 Select Apps5 Find Spotify, and select it.5 Find Spotify, and select it.6 Select Clear Data6 Select Clear Data7 Select Delete7 Select Delete8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice9 Select the Home Menu9 Select the Home Menu10 Select the Settings Icon10 Select the Settings Icon11 Scroll Down And Select Storage11 Scroll Down And Select Storage12 Select Device Storage12 Select Device Storage13 Select OK on the Continue Screen13 Select OK on the Continue Screen14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.

I believe that in my case, my old sd card that has survived many smartphones, is too slow and causes read write buffer issues with spotify,  since spotify is set by default to utilize the SD card, one bad write could corrupt the spotify information storage, and then the app can't read what it needs to in order to start... I'm waiting for a UHS-1 and a UHS-2 card to arrive... I'll test and post my results at a later date.

NOTE:  this was performed on a galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

UPDATE:  My assumption regarding the MicroSD has been confirmed.  My old card maxed out at writing 10MBs a second.   My new one is writing at 45MBs a second.   I've switched back to using SD storage and the issue has yet to reoccur after three days and downloading playlists.  I used an app called A1 SD BENCH to get my actual write speeds,  and everything seems good to go now.  

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello guys,

Just to give you a feedback, I have restored the factory settings and it automatically installed version 6.0.1, but the clean installed enable me to open spotify and modified the storage to internal disk.
Also I did another test and it seems to be a good workaround:
1- unistall spotify
2- remove the SD Card from the device
3- restart cell phone
4- installed spotify.
Doing this procedure will force spotify to be set ti use the internal disk.
5- insert SD Card back.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Daniel

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

No, I took out the SD card, restarted the phone. Then I reinstalled the app without the SD card in it, launched the app, logged back in and changed the device settings for spotify. It has worked well for the past hour now

View solution in original post

44 Replies

I encountered this problem too. I still have enough storage for more data though it showed different. I don't want to clear data and lose stored songs. I wonder how to fix it without losing these.

Wow. I still have it all after deleting data. Problem solved. Thx

Thanks very much - problem resolved

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen!

If you are still experiencing this issue could you please post in this thread 🙂

Thank you! 🙂

Hello guys, I am still having this problem on my Moto x play. It started just after updating Android to 6.0.1. If you have any new tip I appreciate.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application?  Also, I found that reformating the sd card helps in many instances.   

thanks for the step by step instructions... 🐵

I reinstalled the app and nothing changed. Also for some reason I am not able to formart the SD Card. I'm prerry sure all these problems are due to android 6.0.1. I'm thinking to put the factory settings back to my moto x play, and do not update Android to the latest version. What do you think about it?

I can't promise that the factory settings will revert you to a previoud version of android... However, I'd be interested in knowing if that's the case... have you tried switching to the internal storage as shown above?
Marked as solution

Hello guys,

Just to give you a feedback, I have restored the factory settings and it automatically installed version 6.0.1, but the clean installed enable me to open spotify and modified the storage to internal disk.
Also I did another test and it seems to be a good workaround:
1- unistall spotify
2- remove the SD Card from the device
3- restart cell phone
4- installed spotify.
Doing this procedure will force spotify to be set ti use the internal disk.
5- insert SD Card back.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Daniel

Thank you. worked great. no more issues and no lost songs.

Hey, 

I tried to use your method and it did not work. After clearing App data it still will not let me open the Spotify app on my phone 

Thanks for posting otherwise, this is incredibly frustrating, especially for something I pay for! 

hi, have you removed the SD Card prior to reinstalled spotify?

You need to installed it without your SD Card in.

And on your last try, do a factory settings  reset, I did that too, and after that I reinstalled spotify with no SD Card in my cell phone.

I am going to give that a shot, and then I will get back to you! So far removing the SD card has helped with other issues I was having on my phone, so thanks for that..but I will get back to you on Spotify

Jeb

Hey that worked, thanks brother

So you did the factory restore? And then reinstalled without your SD Card in?

Marked as solution

No, I took out the SD card, restarted the phone. Then I reinstalled the app without the SD card in it, launched the app, logged back in and changed the device settings for spotify. It has worked well for the past hour now

I am trying to avoid doing a factory reset

Cool man. Yes factory reset would be the last option. I'm glad it is working now.

Now we need to wait a new Android version that will probably fix all these bugs.

Take care.

Suggested posts