Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app exits directly after login, on ICS

Solved!

Spotify app exits directly after login, on ICS

I have a Nexus S android running ICS.

A couple of days ago the Spotify app started malfunctioning. When I started it, it would log in as expected and display the playlists. However, after a small number of seconds, it exited without any warning whatsoever. I cannot use the app anymore since it exits almost instantly.

I have tried to clear the app data and reinstalling the app, it didn't work.

(Another problem that I've had quite a while (that I think is unrelated) is that my offline playlists fade from the cache. I have to re-sync my phone every couple of days.)

/David

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got it working on my Galaxy Nexus running ICS.  I'm not sure if it was luck or coincidence, however here are the steps I followed:

1. Uninstall Spotify

2. Reboot Phone

3. Reinstall from the Market

4. Check "App Info" to verify there is no data and the app is not running

5. Run the app, it should prompt you to login; it worked for me at this point

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I just updated my GS2 to ICS with a clean install, everything on factory settings. I installed Spotify and wo and behold - it almost works. But just ALMOST. When not on wi-fi connection, it's always offline. Even tho I have full HSPA+ up and running it's offline.

So I can't stream anything unless I sit on my sofa.

Marked as solution

For anyone with the problem of an immediate crash back to the homescreen after starting Spotify in Online mode, delete the /sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui directory from the SD card. This will remove all your synced playlists, but it works for me every time.

Dave
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

44 Replies

Could this be the infamous too-many-playlists bug?

I tried clearing the app data and reinstalling the Spotify app but somehow my settings survived. I'm at a total loss of what to try next.

I have got the sampe problem on my Galaxy Nexus an ICS 4.02.

At this point, I don´t see a solution.

This exact problem just started for me today. Galaxy Nexus, silently crashes a second after starting the app. Uninstall & reinstall, restore from backup, didnt fix.

Not the playlists bug. Simply sounds like the 'ICS is not supported' bug/issue/annoyance.

At some point in the future, Spotify might deign to upgrade the app. Until then, lots of people are being upgraded to, or are buying phones with, ICS, and many of them will leave.
----------------

Same bug here. I have a Nexus S with ICS Smiley Frustrated

There's always the thread I started in the Ideas forum to upvote - register your desire for a fully supportive app for Android - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-needs-to-support-Android-3-Honeycomb-Android-4...

----------------
Marked as solution

I got it working on my Galaxy Nexus running ICS.  I'm not sure if it was luck or coincidence, however here are the steps I followed:

1. Uninstall Spotify

2. Reboot Phone

Same bug here on a nexus S and a galaxy nexus.

Found that starting spotify in airplaine mode and disconnecting allow me to start the app.

As soon as I connect again the app exits so I can't download my playlists anymore...

Same Problem

Samsung Galaxy Nexus ICS.

Same promble here, Samsung Galaxy SII and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3

Sent mail to Spotify support to see what they've got to say about it.

Support told me that "we have no ICS support and can't say if we are going to have it for now, please follow ou blog for any update" ..

Needless to says that disapointed me a little...

Well, it says right here that my phone is supported so they better fregging fix it 🙂

http://www.spotify.com/us/mobile/android/

Yeah, come on, this is outrageous. Since I upgraded my Galaxy S II to ICS I've had trouble with stability, and today, it kept on crashing on startup. I could do nothing. Eventually, I solved it by manually deleting the Spotify folder on the internal memory using a file explorer, which wiped out all offline cache and settings, and I was able to get the app in it's normal, craptastic condition again.

I've been using Spotify since right from the start, but using it on the go is about the only reason I pay 99 kr/month. Now, I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription, since the mobile app is useless to me. Pull yourselves together quickly, Spotify, or you're going to lose subscribers. You aren't the only viable music service out there anymore.

/John

Your last line is true. I got Spotify because Deezer (which is inclusive with my tarriff) didn't work with ICS on launch day (when I got my Galaxy Nexus). Now it has been sorted for ICS I think I'll be looking at that service instead.

Spotify_france twitter account just announces that an update for android was on its way.

Hope it will be released soon 🙂

Weird, because I went to http://m.spotify.com/ - too see if my mobile with ICS was considered compatible - and the page clearly stated that my phone was supported.

@Scotro wrote:

1. Uninstall Spotify

2. Reboot Phone

This did the trick for me. I uninstalled the Spotify app, rebooted my phone and installed it again from the market. Before this I uninstalled and reinstalled without a reboot inbetween. When I didn't reboot, the app remembered my password and playlist information. It seems that the reboot cleared the cache for real.

I removed some playlists on my desktop before I got it working (because I read about a bug related to many songs and/or playlists) so it is possible that this helped as well.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I hope this works for you. However, all this only removed the symptoms, I fully expect the bug to return some day. I hope spotify gets their act together on the android app soon!

I also ripped hair out of my scalp because of this.

Anyways, for me the trick was to delete manually all the spotify cache and offline data.
Dunno if the problem will reappear though. 

Same thing here. On ICS, Galaxy Nexus. FCs few seconds before opening. Nothing seems to be working. It's time Spotify solved this issue and get to proper coding. I will soon consider changing service. This has been going on for too long!

Suggested posts