Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[UNOFFICIAL][GUIDE] How to disable Spotify Connect

Solved!

[UNOFFICIAL][GUIDE] How to disable Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect

1. You can disable the Spotify Connect functionality by manually putting the Spotify app in 'Offline' mode from within the Spotify Settings screen when not in use.
  2. You can permanently disable the connect service if you are rooted by installing the app Disable Service from the Play Store. Open the app and scroll to Spotify then tap it to see all services the app uses. Uncheck the box next to 'AppLinkService' then back out of the app. Now the Spotify connect service will not run on your phone and notify you when you are playing tracks on another device. Note: Don't forget to accept SU permissions when prompted
  3. There is an idea to allow the service to be turned on/off at will from within the app. Please add kudos to this idea if you would like to see it implemented.
  4. If you are running CyanogenMod (Custom ROM) then go to Settings -> Privacy -> Privacyguard -> Press and hold on Spotify -> There is a 'Wake up' - disallow this!. Thanks to @aliceraunsbaek for the tip!

I believe the ability to toggle the service at will is being discussed internally, but nothing is official. At present these are temporary work-arounds which aren't officially supported.

Please do not use this thread to compain about Connect or the inability to disable it manually.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
37 Replies

I also hate this bug. 

I force detention of the whole app (from settings/apps) each time I'm about to play something in my computer or tablet... it isn't the best option, but it works.

Also, if I have wi-fi (mobile internet connection in Argentina sucks), sometimes I prefer playing the music I would love to hear from my phone to my computer. Not ideal, but it solves the problem of loosing what you where listening to (the phone remembers, computer doesn't...).

But it would be great if the app just let us choose where we want to listen our music freely...

WHy is spotify not listening to the unhappy customor

Connect is also using an unconditionally massive amount of battery for this feature, very sad that the development is so poor. I had the recurring issue that my phone would kill the spotify app on occasion, and if I had used connect at all up till then, my PC juts songs so my old playlist, which seems in stasis. So I had janky, uncontrollable music for a while there.

Then I checked my phones battery stats. 

A massive 22% over the last 25 hours, and I havent used the app at all.... It is just really intrested in telling me what song is playing on pc... 

I did have music playing a great chunk of the 25 hours, but on a pc... Cmon. I'm taking off premium if this isn't fixed... 

Connect is a beutifully done feature with the poorest execution... I don't get how seemless it is over cell networks anyway. But that reminds me... I start music in my house after my headphones are plugged into my phone.... Another vital flaw and clear lack of real test use for this feature.. I have headphones plugged in, get a clue.

Glad to see there is a work around for the notifications, hopefully this addresses the battery use.

It is completely unacceptable that Spotify keeps FORCING unwanted/unneeded features on paying customers with no ability to control them. After the third play queue set up on my computer was wiped by my phone this morning, I was ready to smash my phone on the floor in frustration. 

I agree that in certain situations, this could be a very useful feature. But not while I am sitting at my work computer with headphones plugged in, my hands on the keyboard, and just trying to charge my phone. It randomly stops playback on my computer every so often. I look at my phone, the spotify preview is there with a random song on the screen, while not playing on either the phone or the computer. I then go to resume playback on the computer, only to find my play queue is wiped and the random song that was on my screen is queued up. WHYYYYYYYYY? I DONT WANT TO LISTEN ON MY PHONE, I DONT NEED TO CONTROL THE COMPUTER I AM USING WITH MY PHONE, I DONT WANT THIS FEATURE!!!

Spotify, it is time for you to start handing out some free months of service for all the aggravation you are causing me. There are alternatives out there that stack up fairly well with your once great software. Cut the **bleep** and stop messing with the services of your loyal, paying customers...otherwise we will stop being so loyal and we will stop paying.

As for now, I get to decide on whether to charge my phone and deal with the frustration, or not charge my phone jsut so I can listen to miusic peacefully. UNACCEPTABLE. I can't even force close the app when this happens; the app isnt even running according to the "Active Applications" monitor on my phone. So frustrating.

Its very starnge that theres no responce from Spotify .

They really dont care about us ...

If we all stopped our accounts maybe they wake up ????

Thanks for the howto - decided to root my LG G2 especially for that. Music listened on my expensive Stereo connected to my Desktop-PC is completely different than the music I'm listening to when commuting to work. Proceeding Music (exact to the second) when commuting I listened before makes no sense for me.,,

Re: [UNOFFICIAL][GUIDE] How to disable Spotify Connect

Its very starnge that theres no responce from Spotify .

They really dont care about us ...

If we all stopped our accounts maybe they wake up ????

Well they did answer ... that it is a feature that they don't intend to "fix" anytime soon. They see it as working as designed, and not in need of a bugfix. It has been treated as a feature request to allow it to be shut off.

Its better that they totally deleted this stupid useless option

Hey I keep getting the 'Failed to gain root access!' error, any hints on what to do to get around that?

@Samakin15 wrote:
Hey I keep getting the 'Failed to gain root access!' error, any hints on what to do to get around that?

Are you rooted? If so, check your SU app and make sure it's set to 'allow' this app.

If you aren't rooted then going offline is the only way to disable Connect temporarily.

Android Troubleshooting:

Are you talking a SuperUser App?

@Samakin15 wrote:
Are you talking a SuperUser App?

Correct. You need to make sure that the Disable Service app is allowed root access in the Super User app

Android Troubleshooting:

Something must have changed in the recent Spotify App version...

Disabled the AppLink service through the disable service app - but music I play on Desktop still gets pushed to Android even through Play/Pause, Forward and Title changing doesn't work...

Is there another Service added in the recent update that I have to disable?

Yes i have noticed as well today. This is **bleep**ing annoying as hell.

It looks like it helps enabling and then disabling again applink service via DiasbleService. Must be recent update re-enabled something.

I guess noone cares about us so we'll have to vote with our vallets.

Nope - Still the same behaviour in the app after re-disabling the service - music gets pushed through - controls from the smartphone to control the desktop (thankfully) doesn't work and my busy smartphone now doesn't intercepts Desktop-Spotify anymore...

But I still like to seperate my music-system audio from my smartphone - because thats really two complete different types of music I listen to from each device...

I use Spotify Premium on my computer while I am working everyday. I also have my profile on my phone (OnePlus One running Cyanogen 11s, Spotify for Android version 2.3.0.828). Both devices are connected to the same wifi network.

I would like a way to disable Spotify Connect because lately, when I have Spotify playing on my computer (and Spotify Connect automatically on in the background on my phone) I cannot use anything on my phone without it pausing the music on my computer. This occurs every time I do something within the Spotify mobile app, and randomly when I am using my phone but not the app (e.g. in the browser, email, or other apps).

Is there a way to do this without manually toggling between "Offline Mode" on my computer or phone every time?

Look at the first post of the Thread here - there is a way on how to disable connect completely - but only on rooted phones - but I guess OnePlus One should be rooted by default, so you can use the tutorial.

Thank you. I should have included that I have already tried the Disable Service but it noticeably slowed the performance of my phone.

I am kinda hoping that Spotify will just include the option in the app.

Suggested posts