Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

Solved!

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

67 Replies

Spotify deleted.  Problem solved. Will buy CDs.

I was not able to open preferences?What to do?

I'm having the same problem with the auto startup and tried your suggestion of also setting the "can be opened from web" option to No.  Rebooted and Spotify did not launch so problem solved for now.  There must be something seriously wrong in the latest Spotify update as even if it has now stopped autorunning at startup, closing it is also a problem after you've voluntarily opened it.  It takes ages to close and stays on your screen.  I'm running version 1.0.58.573.g57c9cd87 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Unbelievable that this thread dates back to 27th February 2012 where part of a post from 20th April 2013, includes this statement:  "The Spotify developers either do not know how, or don't care enough, to fix this."   So which is it Spotify?

Interesting to see that all these threads on this topic get the label 'solved' while it is not solved it all. Already reported in 2012, it's now 2017!! Problem is that even when setting "do not autostart" in the advanced settings, it still autostarts! It is absolutely not done to set this to autostart during installation without asking the user. And it's not done to have a setting "do not autostart" which has no effect at all.  It is also 'not done' to not have solved this issue after 5 years. The best solution is to remove this aggressive program completey from your system.

Wow this issue has been plaguing users for almost 5 years? That is ridiculous. What purpose do you even have that option if you refuse to make it work!?

What finally worked was to turn off the option: "Allow Spotify to be opened from the web". Apparently, that option means "we do what we want".

options.PNG

I turned off the auto start AND no to opening from the web, and it still opens. And the "don't open" button is always re-checked. I never checked it EVER.

I'm on a mac. If there Is a folder I can find re previous versions that may be instructing this, would someone give me that info?

Thanks

@rnet1 wrote:

Hey, this was driving me nuts too (Mac OS X), but I discovered this: Right click the Spotify icon on your tray, click Options, and then uncheck Open at Login. There, all better 🙂

@rnet1 wrote:

Hey, this was driving me nuts too (Mac OS X), but I discovered this: Right click the Spotify icon on your tray, click Options, and then uncheck Open at Login. There, all better 🙂

There is NO (Options) when I right click. Only Pin or Unpin from Task Bar (which has not helped.) & Open Spotify, (which is automatically opens.) Went to settings and even Open as Administrator. Nothing works. 

There is a PortableApps program called "AutoRuns" that will let you manage all startup applications.

It's what I use to manage these kind of applications with non-obvious startup controls.

Sorry to see people still having issues with this years later.

Goodluck.

Suggested posts