Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

265 Replies

Well I acually thought the inversion was a new feature. I surely adds an interesting touch...

I can add things to playlist using right click, but why is dragging not working anymore? It worked fine in the last version.

So dragging is known issue, but has anyone else the same problem as me, that the playing song is not highlighted? Or well, it is highlighted when I click to play a song, but when it moves to the next song, the only indication of the playing song is below the cover art. I really miss the highlight 😞

There are more HTML5 views in this version, and drag/drop is a little shaky on linux in those unfortunately.. We'll try to improve on that.

OK I'm done - support for Spotify 0.8.8 on openSUSE has arrived!

Please head on over to https://github.com/aspiers/opensuse-spotify-installer and give it a try.

If you find any issues, please report them here: https://github.com/aspiers/opensuse-spotify-installer/issues/new

Happy listening 🙂

I also have the drag-and-crash bug, quite irritating. At least I can right click and add songs to playlists but please fix this soon.

Sometimes when browsing an artist's catalogue, I get a screen of empty space between every album. I haven't figured out exactly when this occurs.

@parbo, on openSUSE 12.2 I get a segfault every time I shut Spotify down.  This isn't disastrous but it's kind of annoying and I think it results in a crash dump being uploaded on every startup.  Unfortunately gdb shows nothing useful because you stripped the binary:

11:28:46.343 I [AppManager.cpp:520              ] Removing instance of application search.
[Thread 0x7fffdfd54700 (LWP 32099) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe1b43700 (LWP 32094) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe2344700 (LWP 32093) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe47f9700 (LWP 32089) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe0b20700 (LWP 32098) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe3346700 (LWP 32091) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffd5df7700 (LWP 32118) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffd55f6700 (LWP 32119) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe1342700 (LWP 32096) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe7b84700 (LWP 32095) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffd46a6700 (LWP 32137) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe2b45700 (LWP 32092) exited]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x0000000001cf6d80 in ?? ()
Missing separate debuginfos, use: zypper install spotify-client-debuginfo-0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-1.x86_64
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000000001cf6d80 in ?? ()
#1  0x00000000011301f7 in ?? ()
#2  0x000000000113054f in ?? ()
#3  0x0000000000cfa2b2 in ?? ()
#4  0x0000000000cfa3d0 in ?? ()
#5  0x0000000000e14bc9 in ?? ()
#6  0x0000000000d2385f in ?? ()
#7  0x0000000000d1a6bf in ?? ()
#8  0x0000000000d1d61b in ?? ()
#9  0x0000000000583d36 in ?? ()
#10 0x0000000000425002 in ?? ()
#11 0x0000000000439a7d in ?? ()
#12 0x00007fffef91c455 in __libc_start_main (main=0x439670, argc=1, ubp_av=0x7fffffffcec8, 
    init=, fini=, rtld_fini=, stack_end=
    0x7fffffffceb8) at libc-start.c:226
#13 0x0000000000423169 in _start ()
(gdb) 

Any ideas?

Just made an ebuild for Gentoo, you could get it from my Gentoo overlay

Some more references for this ebuild:

I'll look into the shutdown crash. Does it happen every time you exit Spotify?

Yes, every time.  If you can't reproduce and you were able to provide a non-stripped binary, I'd happily run it through gdb and provide the stacktrace for you.  Thanks!

I also receive segfault every time I shut down spotify, Im also using openSUSE 12.2.

I have the same issues with the drag and drop problem.

Whenever I try to move a track from an album to add it to a playlist the client crashes.

Workaround: work with the right mouse context menu "Add to:"

I use Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

cheers

chri

I have symbols on my end, so I can resymbolize that stacktrace. 🙂

@parbo wrote:

I have symbols on my end, so I can resymbolize that stacktrace. 🙂

You mean, just from what I pasted, without a core dump and without reproducing the issue?  Just curious, how would you do that - something like http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8545931/using-gdb-to-convert-addresses-to-lines I guess?

That's one way, yes. I also have a map-file (which contains information on the addresses of functions etc) which I can use to manually (or with a script) lookup the symbols. 

For 32 bit builds I can also look it up in our crashdump database, where it is automatically symbolized. We use breakpad and https://github.com/mozilla/socorro for this. Some issues with the obfuscator we use sadly prevents us from doing that automatically on debug builds.

I see, interesting 🙂

BTW, now that we've done the heavy lifting for packaging the client on openSUSE, what would it take to brib^H^H^H^Hpersuade you to distribute rpms as well as .debs? 🙂

Great stuff! Thanks for the upgrade!

It seems that most of my facebook friends are gone? I used to follow 7 or so, now only 2 remain. Also, I am unable to find the page where I can actually search for facebook friends also using spotify? Under Main -> Follow I only see 6 random fb friends but I can't search for more. Many of my friends use it, so I got to love the social aspect of spotify!

I use Arch Linux, btw., with Gnome MM Key support enabled by https://github.com/jreese/spotify-gnome . (Arch users: I made an AUR pkg here) Do you think at some point you could integrate the listening for DBUS events, like in this small python wrapper script, into spotify? Shouldn't be too hard and Gnome users would love you for that 🙂

cheers!

Dear Spotify developers,

there is a HUGE problem within multiarch in this version. First of all, it's great there are native 64bit now. Thanks a lot!

I just reinstalled my ubuntu system to check this problem. I'm running on ubuntu raring (13.04) AMD64 (x86_64/"true" 64bit). Spotify work great out of the box. dpkg -i spotify*.deb; sudo apt-get -f install; done!

Spotify started without problems and sound working.

But then I installed WINE for a game to run (and because this is a 64bit system I needed some 32bit-libraries also, like mesa, libgl1..., dri and stuff for my games to run). And for Skype and Google Earth, who use fake 64bit-packages and install a lot of 32libs. (Again, thanks, that Spotify is also available as *real* 64bit! That's just great.)

I rebooted, and spotify complained about missing libnspr4.so.0d, libnss3.so.1d, libnssutil3.so.1d, libsmime3.so.1d, libplc4.so.0d

I checked /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu and they are all there. They are symbolic links, (not broken), linking correctly to the libraries in the same directory.

We can assume, that *before* I installed i386-files, before my system went multiarch, everything was fine. Because after the reboot Spotify stopped working.

So... for these files (libnspr4.so.0d, libnss3.so.1d, libnssutil3.so.1d, libsmime3.so.1d, libplc4.so.0d) I made symbolic links from the original libraries from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/* to /usr/lib64/*, plus additional symbolic links for their ....so.0d/1d versions.

After that Spotify works fine. Well, it starts... but not so much. "There's a problem with your sound card". I really struggled with this error before. But this time I knew, that everything worked perfectly before the reboot.

So I COPIED everything from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/* to /usr/lib64/*

sudo cp -arf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/* /usr/lib64/

After this everything works perfectly fine again. No complains and sound is working.

Please do consider that ubuntu is relying on multiarch since 12.04. So you need to fix this in the directory structure. Just include /usr/lib64/* as a "search directory" (I'm not a programmer) for the binary.

For me it seems like the *directory structure* gets *different* for systems which actually use multiarch capabilities. Instantly when multiarch is first used on these systems. Before I had only native packages and libraries (only 64bit) on my system, Spotify work instantly and without any problems. Installing Wine and Skype (with their 32bit packages), Spotify refused to work after rebooting. Only copying the files it was complaining about makes it start, but of course sound libraries are not found and so it says "There's a problem with your sound card". After copying all libraries and directories containing libraries from /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux/* to /usr/lib64/* -- all works perfectly again.

Without access to the source, but still... I wonder if spotify-client actually is the culprit here. If you run 'ldd spotify' you will see a lot of dynamic dependencies. These are resolved by ld.so(8), and I think your question boils down to why this work or not.

If you have libraries in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which not are picked up by ld.so,, I would check:

- That  the spotify dependencies are fully qualified, so a 32-bit library cannot satisfy the 64-bit dependency (this is a

packaging issue).

- That the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu path is mentioned somewhere in /etc/ld.so.conf or /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.

- If it is, try running l'dconfig -a' to update the linker cache.

'ldd spotify' is your friend digging into this.

HTH

EDIT, At a second thought the gnu libs are certainly public.

The spotify client showed the License Agreement and I figured the client was updated. Thank you so much for the new Linux release! I'm using it every day at work, and at home. It seems to be integrated better with my DE (Cinnamon, so GNOME 3.x I guess) - especially when it's reduced in the taskbar.

Hi, the client itself is woking just fine, but none of the apps do, most of them show no content at all or just a bare minimum frame.

Oh, and the sidepanel/friends activity stuff is just a white box as well.

Tried to "fix" by rm'ing ./cache/spoitfy but didnt help.

Am on Ubuntu 12.04 - any pointers, please?

Errordump from startup with some gtk and a whole buch of zipreader errors (thte are a lot more where this came from..):

14:49:46.914 W [zipreader.cpp:143               ] [zip] file not found in archive: inspector.0
14:49:46.915 W [zipreader.cpp:143               ] [zip] file not found in archive: inspector.0
14:49:46.915 W [zipreader.cpp:143               ] [zip] file not found in archive: inspector.0
14:49:46.922 W [zipreader.cpp:143               ] [zip] file not found in archive: bridge-desktop.0
14:49:46.922 W [zipreader.cpp:143               ] [zip] file not found in archive: bridge-desktop.0

(spotify:30140): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkFixed' to `GtkBox'

(spotify:30140): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `GTK_IS_BOX (box)' failed

(spotify:30140): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkFixed' to `GtkBox'

(spotify:30140): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `GTK_IS_BOX (box)' failed

Suggested posts