Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

So where has my library gone?

Solved!

So where has my library gone?

Updated Spotify desktop client yesterday (about says v0.9.8.258) and the 'Library' option has dissappeared and been replaced by a rather useless and blank looking Your Music > Songs / Albums / Artists. Also I cannot star anything, a plus seems to have replaced the star. The Library was my goto screen on spotify as it contained all my local files and playlists....Spotify has rendered itself rather useless for me in 1 update, unless I go and manually create a library playlist which I would then have to manually update each time I added new music.

Please advise how to get the library back or a suitable workaround which provides the same functionality. Also, why the hell were users not notified of this big change?

219 Replies

The straight dope on this:

1. The one thing that Spotify desperately needed/needs was for the library function to tell you which playlist a song is in.

2. You can create your library again by dragging and dropping playlists into 'songs'.

The straight dope on this:

1. The one thing that Spotify desperately needed/needs was for the library function to tell you which playlist a song is in.

2. You can create your library again by dragging and dropping playlists into 'songs'.

You can still filter individual songs/artists by going to Edit and then clicking Filter when you're in your Songs section or a playlist, then the Filter box will pop back up at the top of the list of songs.  (You might have to do this after every time you exit Spotify though)

I think 'Your Music' misses the point.

Playlists were ideal for storing your music, and dividing the music depending on genre, artist, whatever you liked.. Now Your Music is forcing me into a structure that I don't want.

Playlists give more freedom, please enhance those instead of introducing new unneeded features.

Check out my curated playlists:

Acoustic & Folk:
https://open.spotify.com/user/ocramarco/playlist/1EpfJ5LMzLIaQPkEQCr8o9

Electroswing:
http://open.spotify.com/user/ocramarco/playlist/2DWCYsKk2ah9gBxVYDzPmJ

Hippies:
http://open.spotify.com/user/ocramarco/playlist/5guJZ5L1KYUIwx6sU6ZmaE

@ocramarco wrote:

Playlists were ideal for storing your music, and dividing the music depending on genre, artist, whatever you liked.. Now Your Music is forcing me into a structure that I don't want.

Playlists give more freedom, please enhance those instead of introducing new unneeded features.

But, what's wrong with having another option? A lot of users wanted a way to be able to save albums without having to make tons of playlists. Playlists haven't gone anywhere. Shouldn't there be more options so people can use it the way they prefer rather than being limited? Not saying Your Music is perfect or even finished by the way, but it's a start.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

How do you move the play lists to the master playlist please?

I've created a Library Playlist, but can't find the method to move other playlists there.

Thanks

I just can't even begin to imagine why Spotify would drop the Library feature.  I have literally hundreds of albums.  I want to be able to search for songs in them, shuffle play between all my albums, etc.  Why can I no longer do this?  

And, if  "Your Music" is supposed to have taken over the purpose of the Library, why didn't Spotify automatically populate Your Music with the music in my Library?  And why do I have to drag and drop each one to put them there?  Hasn't Spotify ever heard of holding down "SHIFT" or "CONTROL" and being able to select a bunch of items all at once?  Either Spotify is employing the stupidest computer people in the world, or they have made these basic things more difficult for some reason, which I cannot even begin to fathom.  Whatever this reason is, why would it trump making the most positive experience possible for your customers?  

Here's a little Business 101 for Spotify: MAD CUSTOMERS WALK. 

I've now managed to move my various play lists into a Library folder, but this does not resolve my issue of mixing (and shuffling) my Local Files with my playlists.

@dinomight wrote:

@ocramarco wrote:

But, what's wrong with having another option? A lot of users wanted a way to be able to save albums without having to make tons of playlists. Playlists haven't gone anywhere. Shouldn't there be more options so people can use it the way they prefer rather than being limited? Not saying Your Music is perfect or even finished by the way, but it's a start.

Yes, I think "Your Music" is a great idea for exactly the reason you said ("save albums without having to make tons of playlists"). It's cool to have that extra organizational feature. Makes your music really feel like a record collection. However, it should have been automatically populated with "MY" music and, for the "songs" tab, be able to filter (CTRL+F). This would solve everyone's problem with the disappearence of "Library."

I found a previous version download for Mac!!!! [Removed link]
Mod edit: removed link to download hosted externally. This is against our Community Guidelines and we don't recommend downloading Spotify from anywhere else than our site.

@cohenfs wrote:

@dinomight wrote:

@ocramarco wrote:

Yes, I think "Your Music" is a great idea for exactly the reason you said ("save albums without having to make tons of playlists"). It's cool to have that extra organizational feature. Makes your music really feel like a record collection. However, it should have been automatically populated with "MY" music and, for the "songs" tab, be able to filter (CTRL+F). This would solve everyone's problem with the disappearence of "Library."

I get what you're saying.  The only thing about prepopulating it is that was actually tried early on and was an extremely unpopular feature simply because not everyone wanted everything that was on playlists to actually be a permanent part of their library.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I see because it was unpopular you decided to not make it optional. That makes sense... Let's see... Someone objected so you took it out completely... We object and we are told it does not matter because someone objected... Why not make it an optional feature under preferences? Same code it just does not execute until someone asks it to... By the way your argument does not really make any sense... Someone objected to having an automaticplaylst which tjey never had to access? Hmmm... What sort of twisted person hates something they do not use?  Good luck with that argument...

La Rube: Naïve but experienced

Well Fatal we should not blame the technical folks... In most cases someone else drives the design features... The programmers follow the blue prints... Evidently the marketing research shows those of us that used the library feature are small enough to lose to another service... Or put another way they feel they have more to gain from dropping the features than they will lose. I still feel this has something to do with the heavy and compliated burden of royalty payments that Spotify has to manage. Their approach really did change the industry... Everyone else is copying them now... But I will change services if I have lost the history of my listening habits (used to be held in library)...

La Rube: Naïve but experienced

You don't get it at all.  Why give us the library and playlist functions and let us work on them for years and then take it away??

If we neve had it I would understand. The "workaround"  must be for the person with a very small collection which is not yet organized.

Do you expect me to add over 500 playlists with 30000 selections, one by one????  Really!!!!  Tell us why the library  is a problem or

why is does not work!  Please.. !  Or admit this latest organization was a haribrained last minute thought!

Actually I think you want to dump real music fans  (ok addicts)  in favor of a greater number or younger people you live

thru their cellphones and will not be heavy users.  The library had many uses besides searching and being aware or your

total numbers and if things you just did   (add or erase  etc)  actually worked or not. Tell us why we can't have Library back?

Please I want to hear this, maybe there is a real reason.

Yeah I think some people are missing the point like the person above me is saying. I don't mind the your music thing actually, just let me put my local files into it as well. All of the functionality of the library would be nice but I really just wanted to be able to shuffle my local files with the stuff I've saved on Spotify. It's why I came to it, I spend way less money on music every year now and I could still have everything I've collected over the years before Spotify existed, included in one giant collection.

The convienience of the library was too good, I have to imagine they are working on a solution for this honestly.

I can't find my library. Who ever designed this current update is GOOFY. When you can't find the library to choose what you would like to hear, then it's time to move on. Why pay for something that you can't use. With it being all black it messes with my eyes, and it doesn't look cool. What whoud be cool is having the choice to use the new or the old way of Spotify.

Signed,

Very Disappointed Customer

It seems that I would have start all over to build my library to have my tunes that I so enjoy. My mobile has the list why don't this page have it?

Imagine the disappointement when the feature you loved the most about Spotify suddenly is gone!!? The Library feature was simply the best with spotify. A perfect organizer for your music, and the abilty to mix local files with spotify music was the best of it all. And now, *poff* gone!!?? What is happening??

Is there ANY way to mix local music with Spotify music now?? 

@vonadel wrote:

Imagine the disappointement when the feature you loved the most about Spotify suddenly is gone!!? The Library feature was simply the best with spotify. A perfect organizer for your music, and the abilty to mix local files with spotify music was the best of it all. And now, *poff* gone!!?? What is happening??

Is there ANY way to mix local music with Spotify music now?? 

It ruined my whole day!!!  Luckily I found a  download of the previous version, it's for MAC [Removed link]

Mod edit: removed link to download hosted externally. This is against our Community Guidelines and we don't recommend downloading Spotify from anywhere else than our site.

@bettmo wrote:
It ruined my whole day!!!  Luckily I found a  download of the previous version, it's for MAC [Removed link]

Ok, perhaps there is a previous version for Windows too somewhere...

Suggested posts