Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is not working at all

Solved!

Spotify is not working at all

Description of the Problem - Hi!  I’ve been using Spotify since the beginning of June, I believe, with no problem.  But today, when I started to use Spotify, it wouldn’t work.  I downloaded the recent update on 7/23/2012.  I did do a search of the Windows forum to see if someone had the same problem – which someone did.  I did what the solution was (uninstall and re-install Spotify, but do a clean re-install), and that seems to have done nothing.  My problem is that whenever I try to play music, it says that the music is playing (there is a pause button instead of a play button), but the time slider thing (excuse the poor description) does not move.  When I try to move it, Spotify freezes up, and often times, I have to close the program.  This is really frustrating for me, because I don’t have Spotify premium, so I cannot listen to any of my playlists at the moment, and many of the songs in my playlists are songs I do not own. A more detailed description, using numbered steps - 1. On 7/23/2012, I installed the latest update for Spotify. 2. Since the update, until today (7/25/2012), Spotify has had a little issue, but could be resolved by bringing up the Spotify player window. 3. When I logged onto my computer today, and pressed the play/pause button on my keyboard, nothing played.  I pulled up the window, and noticed the button in the player said the song was playing, but no music was coming out, nor was the time bar thing moving. 4. I hit the skip button, hoping this would make the song play, as it did for the previous two days.  But it just skipped past the song, and didn’t play. 5. Frustrated, I searched the Windows Forums for a solution, and found the idea from a moderator to do a clean re-install of the program. 6. I did do a clean re-install of Spotify, using the website instructions. What I expected to happen - I expected for Spotify to start working again, because I really wanted to listen to my music. What actually happened - Spotify worked for a total of two seconds.  When I tried to play my music, I still had the same problem, and Spotify froze up again. My Operating System - I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. Is your Operating System 32 or 64 bit? - My operating system is a 32 bit system. Do you have a Service Pack installed? - I have Service Pack 1. My Spotify version - I am going to assume I have the latest version of Spotify, since I updated the program on 7/23/2012 (I am not very handy with a laptop, and I’m not sure how to access this information.) My internet provider and country - Comcast, United States of America My username - 1232045308 Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue? - Um, no, unfortunately not.  My computer, in addition to Spotify, has been having some problems freezing up lately, so I am trying to use it as little as possible, until I can get a new laptop. Thank you so much! By the way - sorry for the spacing issues. It's not really working correctly...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Nevermind! For some reason, I restarted my computer a second time, and now Spotify works! I restarted it when I did the clean re-install, but it didn't work then...

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi. Could you try the steps outlined under troubleshooting in this post (windows) or this one (Mac). If that doesn't fix things for you, please provide the template information.

Marked as solution

I found that turning OFF hardware acceleration under the Spotify settings fixed all my problems when running Spotify under Windows 10

Marked as solution

I've gotten it to work now. but when my internet is slow, it tells me to
upload adobe flash version something.
#Tyga is life!!!

Marked as solution

@user-removed wrote:

+1. My Spotify isn't playing anything this morning. Nor is a friends who I wanted to confirm with. 😞

I have had the free verswion for years, they upgraded on about 4/ 06/17 or so and the darn thing wouldn't work.. bummed..I had to delete my old link, like when I had it saved on fav's bar, then download through their site. then it appeared when done loading, like google earth, whatever you call it! Then click on that and it will launch, I'm not a technotird but it worked for me, took a couple hours to figure out... Good luck, I'm getting too old for this BS upgrade stuff, but I still like my free R + R..., Thanks Spot..

Marked as solution

I'm having the same problems on my iPhone 6 installed new updates now I can't get Spotify to work , rebooted lots of times but no change please help it's really frustrating I totally rely on my music I'm not a premium customer 😩Claire

Marked as solution

I USED TO LOVE SPOTIFY BUT THEN I WOULD BE HALF WAY THROUGH A SONG AND THEN I HAVE TO GO SO I TURN OF GOOGLE CHROME (SPOTIFY WEB PLAYER) THEN THE NEXT DAY I WOULD GO ONTO IT AND THEN IT WOULD BE STILL PLAYING CONTIUOSLY AND IT SAYS 1212:3.56 PLZ FIX

47 Replies
Marked as solution

Nevermind! For some reason, I restarted my computer a second time, and now Spotify works! I restarted it when I did the clean re-install, but it didn't work then...

No matter how many restarts, it's still not working. I even deleted the programme from my pc then reinstalled and it still shuts down seconds after it boots up.

Gonna cancel my Spotify Premium if this is not sorted soon

Ive started having this issue lately as well.  The only solution for me so far is to uninstall in SAFE MODE then reinstall and it works.  No idea why it's started doing this as it was working fine before the latest "updates"

Having the same problem here, on Mac. I received a notification to restart if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version. I did and since then I cannot use Spotify anymore, it freezes and I have to force quit it always. I uninstalled the app, re-installed, no success. Not happy, have had nothing but freezes and issues since the latest versions. If this keeps up I am quitting my premium subscription, not paying for something I cannot even use 😞

Just tried uninstalling in safe mode AGAIN, and then reinstalling teh latest version, all was working fine again... Until I rebooted, and now I'm back to spotify not starting.

FIX IT, your paying customers are getting very frustrated.  

It seems the common theme is that we all have spotify premium. I only recently started a free trial and that was when my spotify stopped working. Maybe the bug is there.

+1 on this.  I'm having quite a few problems playing tracks. I think I recent update has broken it 😞

+1. My Spotify isn't playing anything this morning. Nor is a friends who I wanted to confirm with. 😞

+1 - Also can't play anything since update. Tried rebooting, not working. Not even the web player is working..

same here, fix it! I'm not paying for this...

+1 for me too. Tried the same as everyone else. Only place I can get it to work is on my iPhone. Can someone please help sort this for us?

I was having the same problem and I used the solution here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Revert-back-to-Spotify-0-8-5-on-Mac/m-p/3...

Installed the older version (8.5) and it works fine. You may not need to go back that far - I didn't check.

I think I've got version 9.1.53 - is the same as everyone else who's having problems today?

There is a currently ongoing service issue: https://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus/status/346570514053079043

Should be back soon (if not already!)

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have been a Spotify user since November 2012, but a few weeks ago I went to boot up Spotify to play music like I normally do. I selected my song, but no sound began streaming. The program said it was playing as the progress bar at the bottom of the screen kept keeping playback time, but there was no audio. I have tried rebooting and installing updates, but still nothing. Help.

I love the convenience of Spotify and honestly don't want to have to go back to buying all of my music from iTunes. But if it doesn't work than I have no other option.

Thanks!

Marked as solution

Hi. Could you try the steps outlined under troubleshooting in this post (windows) or this one (Mac). If that doesn't fix things for you, please provide the template information.

I still can't get mine to work at all. On my laptops or droid. 

Yesterday I created a new spotify unlinked Facebook account and you guys helped me transfer over my playlists. Since this morning however I cannot access my Spotify at all. I continue to get a not responding message no matter how many times I restart my computer. Or even delete and reinstall it persists. Can you please help? I can't live without music! Thanks guys. 

It sounds like you may need to do a clean reinstall but, before you do that, can you check to see if the web player works for you?

Suggested posts