Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play music at all

Solved!

Spotify won't play music at all

Hello, 

Does anyone have a real solution to the fact that spotify doesn't play ANYTHING (neither local nor remote songs). 

I have tried various solutions found on Spotify Community : 

-  Uninstall / reinstall Spotify and Update flash play

-  Update Quicktime

-  Unlick the local files in preferences

-  Change proxy settings

I have been over a month without music and am literally having a depression for not being able to listen to music at work. Plus i'm starting to get annoyed because I have paid a month's subscription for nothing. 

Who thou shalt solve my problem will be sent one kick ass playlist.

Larry

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Came in here to say that i had the same problem as most of you. I installed the free version on my PC, didn't connect to facebook or anything. I tried listening to certain songs from my music library, and even just a randomized palylist, but when I would click for the song to play, nothing would happen. The song would show up in the "playing now" area, but no progress bar, or sound was happening.

I managed to fix it though somewhow. I got annoyed and brought up all my songs on shuffle, then began to literally click songs at random. After about 15 or so, all the sound started and it actually showed the tracks playing. I found the miracle cure guys.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

All,

I actually fixed my issue above after reading through some common issues . Needed to upgrade QuickTime on my PC.  Magicially tracks started playing. Spotify is rockin again! Hope this helps some of you:

Can't play m4a files (Quicktime)

If you're having trouble playing .m4a files you might want to try reinstalling or upgrading Quicktime in order to help Spotify play them. You can give this a go at: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Marked as solution

Would you be able to exit Spotify and double check in Control Panel > Sound:

- The correct output device is set as default, since Spotify will only use the default device. 

- Disable any sound enhancements.

- Try toggling the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" settings.

It might also be worth checking with your vendor if there are any sound card driver updates available on their website.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I had the same problem, the songs wouldn't star playing at all.

I found a way that fixed it for me though, I rightclicked a song and copied the HTTP link.

Then I started up my browser and put in the link and logged in to my spotify in the web browser.

The song would start playing but I was afraid I would have to do this whenever i wanted to play a song.

Turns out this somehow made my spotify client start working and now everything is fine.

I hope this helped someone 🙂

Marked as solution

Sure @iDuffy234 . Make sure you have the latest Quicktime installed then restart spotify. If you still have problems, you may also need to install additional codecs which you can get here although, usually, Quicktime is all you need.

Marked as solution

This fixed my problem instantly.  I have a USB audio interface plugged in to play audio through some studio speakers and when I unplugged the USB and plugged it back it Spotify magically started working.  Thanks Apoc!

Marked as solution

thank you, this solved it for me 🙂

Marked as solution

This worked. Thanks a ton. Just copy the song link(right click) and paste it in a new tab. Click play and it should work. Go back to your other songs and it should work too!

123 Replies

Hey Larry,

Are you getting any error messages at all in your Spotify? What are the exact symptoms?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

This Is the exact same problem as I have, After paying for a subscription i feel completely ripped of after not being able to listen to a single song ! when I click on a song it registers that i have listened to it on facebook and the artwork appears it the bottom corner of spotify but nothing happens from then no error message and no song ! Pretty frustating as it just suddenly decided to stop working !

No error messages.

Connects to internet fine : "What's New" is refreshed at start up, spotify social works, literally just playback doesn't work.  

Not an account  problem as my spotify works on other computers...

Not really much more I can say....

I also get no sound when using spotify. Same symptons:

Artwork shows up

Shows as being played in queue

Length is shown at bottom but continually stays at 0 even though it is "playing".

Here is what I see:

spotify-no-audio.jpg

Spotify Version: 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d

QuickTime Player Version: 7.7.2 (1680.56)

Not sure how to check Flash player version...

Anything else I need to provide so you can help troubleshoot?

Just add ing to the thread. Have the exact same problem. The slider just sits on 0. Worked fine a couple of weeks ago (have been away, haven't listened in a that time). Have resinstalled, updated quicktime and unlinked local files.

Hello all (who had the same problem) ,

I opened my spotify today and it has magically worked again! Does it work for you too??? 

I noticed a supposidly server problem saturday (spotify on my mac was down for like 5 hours).  Maybe the fix to that caused the fix to this....

I have the exakt same problem and have had for months now. Nothing I do seems to work. Signed up for Unlimited and thought that that would solve my problem (silly me) but now I have paid for Unlimited for several months without being able to play music. Getting a bit frustraded here. 😕

Hi guys,

What version of Windows are you all using? Have you all tried a clean reinstall of your Spotify?

You can get directions here: http://www.spotify.com//help/faq/tech/clean-reinstallation-of-spotify/

If you all could provide as much information about the problem as you can, it'll help us look into it.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I can´t play, too. (local and online songs)

I´ve reinstalled Quicktime, Spotify and it still doesn´t work.

No error messages

For what it's worth I 'had' this exact same issue and I am using the Linux client.

Here is what I noticed:

Symptoms:

Open Spotify - Fine

Whats New Page - Loads Fine

Open any playlist - Fine

Play any song - Fail - Double click song 'Play' button turns to pause button. can move the slider bar through the song and it would stay at the point it was left at, but still no music.

Close app by hitting the cross at top right and then right clicking Spotify Icon in tray and hitting close.  Then open app and I was prompted to send a crash report (Which I did).

Music still did not play (same symptoms).

Cache size - Less than 1 GB (Storage Directory was circa 750MB - Nowhere near the size of my disk)

Hardware - Laptop - Not plugged in to power when symptoms first arrived.  Plugging in to power made no difference.

Killing app from command line - Same symptoms as closing app.

Other points of note:

Just before this issue I installed/added a couple of apps - Noteably TuneWiki, Sounddrop  and MoodAgent.

Just before I started playing music at the start of this issue I opened tunewiki and it showed me the lyrics of my last played song from exactly where it was up to.  I then hit play (Bottom left hand corner play button) - Music did not start.

I removed all 3 apps and restarted spotify - Same symptoms.

I then plugged my laptop into a power supply, closed spotify restarted my laptop, opened Spotify and much to my delight the music started again.

There was no change to the size of the cache at all.

I am using Spotify Version 0.8.3.278.g21c75667

I hope this helps the developers get to the bottom of this bizarre issue.

Thats as much info as I can give.  If you want developers/spotify to help with your issues you need to give them as much information as possible.  If they can recreate the issue then they can fix it!

Trojan.

I had the exact same problem described by trojan82 on a Windows 7 machine. I uninstalled Windows Media Player and restarted Windows and the problem went away. I then reinstalled Windows Media Player and Spotify continued to work.

I'm having this issue, as well. I'm on Mac running OSX 10.6.7. Haven't made any changes to my account or settings before the issue started.

Same here. Problem sometimes appears, sometimes just goes away. No clue what is happening. Somehow it is related to other apps playing sound. W7 here, updated.

Marked as solution

Came in here to say that i had the same problem as most of you. I installed the free version on my PC, didn't connect to facebook or anything. I tried listening to certain songs from my music library, and even just a randomized palylist, but when I would click for the song to play, nothing would happen. The song would show up in the "playing now" area, but no progress bar, or sound was happening.

I managed to fix it though somewhow. I got annoyed and brought up all my songs on shuffle, then began to literally click songs at random. After about 15 or so, all the sound started and it actually showed the tracks playing. I found the miracle cure guys.

I have had the same issue. I have deleted and re-loaded, restarted.....everything! Is there someone who represents Spotify who can help us??? I Love this app...LOVE IT...when it's working!

I have had this issue a lot, on PC, android and iPad and have fond a solution that works. Go to settings and turn it to offline mode, then back to online. 

I can't believe I'm paying for Spotify premium and this keeps happening to me. What the hell gives? Spotify's performance has been spoty since I got it.

Having the same problems wont play offline files or and other music just stays at 0:00 even though it says playign. hurry up spotify sort it out!

I carnt even find were to play music??

Suggested posts