Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play music at all

Solved!

Spotify won't play music at all

Hello, 

Does anyone have a real solution to the fact that spotify doesn't play ANYTHING (neither local nor remote songs). 

I have tried various solutions found on Spotify Community : 

-  Uninstall / reinstall Spotify and Update flash play

-  Update Quicktime

-  Unlick the local files in preferences

-  Change proxy settings

I have been over a month without music and am literally having a depression for not being able to listen to music at work. Plus i'm starting to get annoyed because I have paid a month's subscription for nothing. 

Who thou shalt solve my problem will be sent one kick ass playlist.

Larry

123 Replies

spotty spotify... can you believe this costs $120 a year

I had the same problem as many of the posters on this thread- Spotify would not play.  The slider did move as if it were playing but no sound.  This was true for playlists, radio or library collection.   Inexplicable as all the sound on my PC worked perfectly in other apps including iTunes & Grooveshark.  I tried most of the solutions offered here but nothing worked.   Finally I expanded the Playback option next to Help on the top left of the Spotify application.  There were selections for Volume Up & Volume Down listed.  I clicked on Volume Up a few times and voila!  Sound!  I have no clue as to how the Playback volume was reduced to zero but it had & that was indeed the solution to my problem with Spotify not playing.   Running Version 0.8.5.1333 & loving it once again.

The problem I have is ONLY with local files.

For example I have iTunes AND spotify. I have opened up iTUnes and its pulled in all my local tracks and I have purchased tracks using iTunes.  But when I try to play a track I have locally from spotify the marker never moves. I get total silence, the song marker remains at zero.

This ONLY happens to me with local files. In fact I have listened to a track on spotify. Purchased the track and tried to listen to it on spotify....NOTHING.

I thought maybe there was a permissions issue between spotify and iTunes (or for some others ...maybe WMP?) but couldn't figure out how to change that.

This music isn't corrupt, correct? You can play it in iTunes no problem?

Marked as solution

All,

I actually fixed my issue above after reading through some common issues . Needed to upgrade QuickTime on my PC.  Magicially tracks started playing. Spotify is rockin again! Hope this helps some of you:

Can't play m4a files (Quicktime)

If you're having trouble playing .m4a files you might want to try reinstalling or upgrading Quicktime in order to help Spotify play them. You can give this a go at: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

That's great! Thank you for using Spotify 🙂

So, I don't have Spotify on my computer, I log into my account through Facebook. My account is a free user account, no paid subsription, and I went to listen to music while working, and it wouldn't play my music. Any thoughts?

i also have this problem and the help wont help me

@poohbear96 wrote:

i also have this problem and the help wont help me

Are you getting any error messages at all?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi!

Got the same error at work. When I'm trying to play music it somestimes plays 1 sec or not even that.

I have exact the same problems here.

After the Update Spotify doensn't play any music. Not even my own music.

I'm not able to click the play button. And nothing happened after reinstalling spotify 😞

I'm using old windows Vista and haven't had this problems at all before the Spotify update.

same. i'm on osx 10.8.2. the album art reflects the song i choose, but the song doesn't play, and the play button itself is disabled: http://cl.ly/image/2N3q2l2d073t

it's been working fine for months. if i recall correctly, i updated spotify this week.

i went through the "get started" popup window, skipping everything until the end, without closing it out early. when i was finished my play button was back. but, i also restarted. not sure if it was the window or the reboot.

I keep seeing posts about the horrible update and also Spotify freezing. The only solution for freezing that I have seen is to re-install. That works for me for a while, but wihin a day the program freezes again or at least moves very slowly so that is is almost unusable.

This happens on my laptop with Windows 7 and on my desktop with Windows 8.  It appears that when I download a new one, it is the pre-update version, but the next time I start it the update is applied.  

What is the answer for the program freezing?  Will you revert to the previous version until you fix this?

I have the same problem since the update, it isn't possible to activate the play button,

the button stays grey for all files

windows 7 64 bit

spotify premium

just solved the problem,

works again after clicking on the tutorial for the same time as program starts opening window

Done 🙂 Great! Thank you very much.

I didn't pay 4 my app plus it is on my iPad mini, but I've been experiencing the same thing! I am desperate 4 some tunes and I am broke so iTunes is not an option. HELP ME!!!

@sasha_luvs_u_12 wrote:
I didn't pay 4 my app plus it is on my iPad mini, but I've been experiencing the same thing! I am desperate 4 some tunes and I am broke so iTunes is not an option. HELP ME!!!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Do you have a premium subscription? 

Unfortunately, it is required to listen to your playlists on any mobile device (including tablets). Spotify free customers in the US get free mobile radio too, but if you aren't in the US you need premium for anything mobile.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have experienced this problem before, and I couldn't fix it. It decided to start working again on its own, but now that it is cropping up again, I am feeling somewhat disgruntled, especially since I am paying for premium. I guess all I can do is wait until it wants to work for me again.

Suggested posts