Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SpotifyWebHelper - Constant pop ups Mac

SpotifyWebHelper - Constant pop ups Mac

Over the last week Spotfiy has started the mac has started to throw up the pop-up:

"SpotifyWebHelper wants to use your confidential information stored in "Spotify" in your Key Chain

It doesn't matter how many times you allow, deny or always allow it still continues to pop up every few seconds - annoyingly on top of any app you are working on.

After following a thread of error message pop-ups with the SpotifyWebHelper I followed instructions to remove the

"com.spotifywebhelper.plist" from Users/Admin/Library/LaunchAgents 

After 2 days it seems to have dropped another .plist in my LaunchAgents folder - is there anyway to prevent this long term?

17 Replies

I am having the exact same problem with Spotify on my Mac. I have completely removed the software from my computer and removed the program from start-up with no success. Please HELP! Um, does anyone work at Spotify that works to resolve these issues. It's concerning that there is no way to reach any type of support via phone with this company.  

this problem is completely disabling to my computer. I am not even able to launch Spotify in order to try to change the preferences to stop this background process from running. can someone at Spotify please fix this, or can some other Mac user who has successfully dealt with it tell us what the fix is??

I'm having this problem too! It's so infuriating I think I will have to stop using Spotify altogether 😞

As far as I'm aware, the solution could be to go into Applications -> Keychain Access and change the keychain settings for Spotify, so that either it doesn't have access to the keychain at all, or it doesn't prompt you via a popup every couple of minutes. 

In my case I can't try this to see if it works because I (round of applause) deleted Keychain Access ages ago in annoyance, before finding out I should have just changed the settings to stop the popups.

Need to reinstall from scratch to get it back, and so far I haven't but now the popups have won.

I was having the same exact annoying problems today. I opened up my keychains app and clicked on "All Items" under Category on the left side of the main menu. I then deleted Spotify from there. I haven't been having any problems for the past 5 minutes. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

You can contact Spotify through the web only if you're having a problem. They get back to you via email within a day or less. 

I'm having the same problem. It's really annoying...

I went through the process of removing Spotify from the Key Chain as well and this has worked for the past day and 1/2 at keeping the pop-ups away! I completely removed Spotify from my computer. I'm not sure yet if I will be reinstalling this again.

Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy!  On the Mac, the application you need is keychain access by the way.   I also deleted a bunch of other applications I didn't realize were authorized to the keychain.   You folks rock!

nothing works, not deleting the app, or deleting the keychain items.

if i have to reinstall my system i will be very sad, i have never had to do this before and i have had this mac book for about five years.

spotify seems to have several ways of humiliating users of older macs, is someone chuckling vindictively behind their bucket of money i wonder?

grumpy mac user seems to have answered his own angst,

i think i might have even seen the soloution out there- here it goes

open the spotify prefs and uncheck things

probably ...... allow spot to be started from the web

cheers 

sorry

SpotifyWebHelper pop-ups were driving me nuts! (OSX 10.5.8)

I unchecked the "Allow Spotify to be started from the Web" preference box and the pop-ups seem to have ceased.

It's only been a few minutes, but I did quit and relaunch the app and it seems to be holding.

This solution is okay for me, because I'm not really concerned about the functionality. It may present an inconvenience to some users.

I had exactly the same problem just after installing the new version of spotify ! I deleted all the keychains related to Spotify and so far the pop-ups are gone ! Thank you so much for the solution !

That's strange you are having this problem still after deleting from your keychain. Everything from there regarding Spotify is removed? I have an older iMac and after I did what I suggested on this forum, I haven't had a single issue. 

Reinstallation of Spotify (OS X)

• Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify)
  • Manually delete these folders:
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder
  • (optional) It might be best to restart you computer at this point.
  • Reinstall Spotify (download)

When re-installing, make sure that you use the newly downloaded installer from the Spotify website.

OS X Lion: How to reveal the Library folder

If you are running the latest Mac operating system (Lion) you will have noticed that the “Library” folder is now hidden. In Finder, click ‘Go’, at the top of your screen. Then press the ‘alt’ button on your keyboard, and the library appears as a folder that you then can click to open.

taken from http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/tech/reinstallation-of-spotify-osx/

Go to: Spotify Preferences ( Edit - Preferences)

Uncheck: Allow Spotify to be started from the Web

If anyone is still having issues with the Spotifywebhelper message coming up after removing the software from a mac, try to go to hdd> users>*username folder*> Library>Application Support In here you need to remove the two Spotify folders. One of them contains the Spotifywebhelper app.

how do u remove spotify from key chain

@Gracie wrote:

I went through the process of removing Spotify from the Key Chain as well and this has worked for the past day and 1/2 at keeping the pop-ups away! I completely removed Spotify from my computer. I'm not sure yet if I will be reinstalling this again.

@Gracie wrote:

The only way I have been able to get around this is pretty unconventional and annoying. If you keep spotify in the trash, the webhelper seems to disappear as well. Just pull it out whenever you want to use it. I'm considering just deleting the app completly and using the web page because it seems safer. 

Suggested posts