Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac, Windows, Web Player)

Music Fan

Stop Spotify Automatic Startup on Windows 8

You know the deal - Spotify demands to be the first program that opens upon startup, slows down my entire computer with this task, and is just a pain in the rear end because I have to start my laptop multiple times a day and only use Spotify a few times a week.

I've read a whole bunch of help on how to edit the startup problem, but all articles are written for Windows 7 or below, and Windows 8 is a whole new interface. I've tried going to programs and clicking on Spotify, but 'uninstall' is the only option - and to be honest if this problem continues I probably will end up uninstalling it. So how do I fix this problem with the Windows 8 program?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Kudos: 14,240
Solutions: 3,564
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

Re: Stop Spotify Automatic Startup on Windows 8

Can you not turn it off from inside the client?
Edit > Preferences > Scroll Down > Don't open automatically.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Troubleshooter

Checking the "don't open" option doesn't work?

Screenshot - 04_02_2014 , 19_59_49.png

Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Music Fan

I'm trying to stop spotify from opening on windows. I've tried clicking "edit" "preference" but nothing about opening pops up. In fact, nothing at all pops up. I detest spotify because this is the SECOND time I've had to struggle to stop this annoying program from slowing my computer down to a crawl. 

Music Fan

Yeah, I don't see the option to stop it from auto-starting on Windows 8 either.  The preferences do show up in the middle of the app, but there's nothing about startup.  Advanced options has nothing either.

go1
Music Fan

I had the same probelm, it's super annoying.

In the latest version, select edit -> preferences and scroll to the bottom. Find "advanced preferences" and click to expand.

Scroll a bit more and you will then see a headding for "open spotify" change the answer to "no" next to the questions "open spotify automatcially..."

Announcements
Test Spotify Connect
Would you like to help QA test Connect? If so, please log in or register.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.