Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

I had been using the free version of Spotify and noticed that the stream kept getting interrupted (pausing). At first you'd assume a bandwidth issue my end. Unlikely as I am in a City and have a consistent 10mb connection.

Anyway to be sure I tried a well known UK competitor beginning with D and there was no issue streaming from them.

Must be the free service? So I upgraded to unlimited, still getting an interrupted stream!

I followed the uninstall and cache clearing procedure, the reinstalled and still no joy.

Currently I have a Spotify account that is unlistenable (if that is such a word) and I am having to use D(UK) in the meantime.

Suggestions?

284 Replies

same here, tracks are really slow to start seems fine once its up and running just get bored of waiting for a track to start.

Interesting points made.  I have used Spotify Premium for about 5 months without any complaints. Have noticed this problem in the past several weeks, so I am with you. 

There has to be a resolution from Spotify. Does anyone know how to reach their Support or Help Desk? 

quite simple really:

Spotify Support <support@spotify.com>

aaargh - mine now crashing every minute - can anyone recomment alternatives to spotify please

Is there any news on this? I'm getting really sick of it and WILL be cancelling my premium subscription soon if it doesn't get sorted.

Gave up this afternoon.

Aggggggggggggggh!

My Spotify is unusable, cuts out all the time.

I'm on Windows 7/Vigin Media.

There's nothing 'premium' about this service, it's an absolute joke - sort it out or i'll be going to Spotify's closest competitor.

Who is Spotify's closest competitor? Pandora in the US...? Who's in the UK? 

Is anyone from Spotify actually reading any of these posts?  I really don't mind sticking with it but not at the 10 pounds a month for something that is unusable. 

By the way, the email for support does not exist. I received an automated resonse saying to turn to the Community portal. 

Just resend automated response back and Spotify response to you.

Like all other posts on here I am also having cutting out issues , and can confirm this is via many different devices and os, apps Sonos, iPad 3, windows 7 and mac os snow leopard . I have virgin board band 100meg service , I don't have any other issues with streaming from other services such as movies etc, also can confirm that when I am using a dedicated leased line at work using my account it still cuts out so common denominator is spotify

you can send Spotify a message via their well-hidden contact form: https://www.spotify.com/uk/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

you get an automated acknowledgment but then they do reply.

their suggestions to me so far

"Have you tried a clean reinstall?
1. Delete the Spotify application from your iPhone/iPod. To do this, press and hold the application until it hovers and then press the X symbol
2. Restart your iPod/iPhone
3. Install Spotify again from the AppStore "

"There are two possible solutions to try if your playback is stopping after every few songs. They are both reasonably quick and easy. So if one does not work, give the other a go.

1. Restart the device (iPhone, iPod touch)

2. Switch to a different streaming quality.

Spotify app » Settings » Stream

If it is set to "High quality", try out "Low bandwidth" (or the other way around).

Once you have played a few tracks, you can then change the setting back again. This should solve the problem. "

I replied to say that I have already tried re-installing the app and that I didn't think their other suggestions were actually  'solutions'  at all.

RM12, Deezer are a UK alternative.

Since I started this thread I have been in contact with Spotify many times, tried all of the mentioned tips, as yet they have not presented a solution.

They continue to blame ISPs but I have not seen any evidence of ISPs restricting their service. And even if they are then why are other services not affected, this is Spotify's issue not ours, any mention of compensation for lack of service, not that I've seen.

Spotify have a great offering, unfortunately it's broken, even worse they won't admit it. Sending out canned responses I'd really not the answer when they are aware of the issues. Also they haven't visited this thread in a while either.

Please Spotify we want to use your service, be honest with us and we're likely to wait for a fix, keep passing the buck, someone else is going to get our money instead!

One of the moderators replied to me yesterday in this topic: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Annoying-lag/m-p/66181/highlight/false#M6096 stating that they are aware of streaming issues, and that *this* topic would be updated.

Yes that thread was started by me.

I dont think this is an issue about what kind of ISP you have or what OS you use. Its a problem occurring in both Windows and Mac. Its getting painful. At least use some of those money to upgrade the speed of the service. Or else its Piratebay next...

Theres a thread about this over at the Virgin Media support forums as well - might be a good idea to keep an eye on both...

THREAD HERE

I've been experiencing a textbook example of this problem (Mac desktop client, Android mobile, Virgin Media) and I too was quick to point the finger of blame at Spotify.

However, if you're on Virgin, I can only recommend trying the action suggested by one user (@deecee) on their forum, here. His/her advice is to alter your DNS settings to Google's public settings:

Instructions on how to do so (in case you need them) are contained in the next @deecee post, which I'll quote here:

for iOS users (and this means iPad as well as iPhone and iPod):

Go to Settings > Wifi > Tap on the wifi connection blue > arrow. Then in the DNS bit type this exactly...

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

For Mac users:

Open System Preferences > Network > Click on the Connection you're using > Advanced button > DNS tab
Click the little + icon bottom left. Add those two settings individually ... 8.8.8.8 and then add 8.8.4.4.

Windows users go to the following link and read how to do it with DNS settings edit being at the bottom:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-tcp-ip-settings

I can't personally guarantee this will fix everyone's issue, but I can assure you, I've had not one single playback issue since I did it over 24 hours ago :smileyhappy:

Speaking from my own (and @deecee's) experience, this seems effective (i.e. I no longer experience any lag or interruption in the stream), but the forum suggests it has had less than universal success. Whatever, it seems to imply that the problem lies more directly with Virgin Media than Spotify. (Indeed, Virgin have acknowledged a fault, which they expected to have repaired by the end of today, although they do not accept that the issue stems from any attempt by them to manage P2P traffic. Again, you can read about this in the thread linked to above.)

Either way, I don't think either company is coming out of this with honour wholly intact. At the moment, however, I'd settle for a resumption of normal service.

I can't see how it is virgin, as I have a dedicated leased line at work and the problem is the same there. have also tried it in BT and the problem is the same.

@Sir_Lurchalot, I take your point that it isn't necessarily a Virgin issue (indeed, there are people on this thread who have reported the same problem from outside the UK). I suppose all that we can really assert from the available evidence is that it's not Spotify (or at least not solely Spotify) who are culpable, even if that only makes the issue seemingly less clear.

For those on Virgin, if the DNS workaround works for you (and holds) it's at least that - a workaround - but I think we can all agree that something has gone awry and that all parties (who take our money) must work on fixing it.

I have always had my DNS settings set to Google, have tried OpenDNS as well. The problem still occurs. It's has even started occuring with the mobile app via 3G (however I half expect that to happen). Sorry but I don't buy it, that it's an ISP problem and not Spotify. The fact the matter is that it used to work and now it doesn't. Spotify need to find out what is causing it as customers are starting to lose patience and jump ship. Their service should work via any ISP, therefore they need to work with them to get this problem resolved rather than pointing the blame.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. All I can do is report that, thus far, changing the DNS settings is working in my case. And by working I mean literally the service I am receiving has returned to its pre-disaster levels. I don't want to seem like a Spotify apologist on here - they need to sort it out (however many ISPs it affects and whoever's ultimately at fault) because, as you (and many others) rightly point out, people are getting sick of paying for an unusable service.

I can attest that the above method of changing the DNS has worked for me (OSX and in Australia). As soon as I did it the stream stopped pausing and has continued without issue so far. Thanks!

Suggested posts