Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

This is awful. I cannot believe that Spotify is so tone deaf (no pun intended), that they would ignore filtering explicit songs. I am starting to research Google Play and Apple's service now.

I'm going to drop my subscription if there is no filter by next year.

@tonkthetankrox wrote:
I'm going to drop my subscription if there is no filter by next year.

Why would you drop your subscription for something as stupid as them not adding an explicit filter? You guys should know what songs are explicit and what songs are not. Spotify even shows what songs are explicit! If you don't want to listen to those songs then simply skip past them as soon as they start playing.

Oh. Why didn't I think of that! When I'm checking out a new playlist I'll
just spend 3 hours copying it to a new playlist and looking up every song,
making sure that there are no explicit lyrics. Oh, wait. I can't do that
because I have a life. So that won't work. FYI, not all songs with explicit
lyrics are marked so you have to either listen to it, or look up lyrics.
Also, I can't skip it before I listen to the song because I listen to it
when I drive so I CANNOT WATCH THE SCREEN BECAUSE I'M DRIVING! So the only
way I know I should skip a song is after I hear what I don't want to hear.

Adding my voice to the chorus.  I've cancelled my subscription and have signed up for Apple Music specifically for their parental controls/filters - which are built into iOS.  On both Apple Music and Spotify, songs and albums are marked as 'Mature' or 'Explicit', which I believe is set by the label/distributor.  On Apple music, explicit songs do not show up in searches or playlists.

The interface/UX on Apple Music is terrible. Spotify has the best interface for mobile users and it's painful (and dangerous while driving) to navigate Apple's solution.  I would quit and go back to Spotify, if I were not concerned with explicit language.

To reiterate what other parents on this thread have said:  Part of our job as parents is to introduce adult concepts to our children with context.  When to do that is our choice and responsibility.  My children, aged 9 and 6, are not ready to discuss cunnilingus, fellatio, binge drinking, sex with multiple partners, codeine-based narcotics, the effects and usage of marijuana, the historical religious oppression of individuals by christianity, what exactly 'Satanism' represents, corrupt cops, corrupt drug dealers, spousal abuse, the effects of addiction, living with addiction, etc.  All those subjects are found in popular hip-hop, R&B, Rock and Metal.  And they should be: music is expression, and those artists are expressing experiences, thoughts and opinions. 

I prefer to let my children find their own music and expression. I also prefer to choose when they're ready to be exposed to adult themes, and I want to be there to help with context.

Please, make a filter to parse the data you already have.  Roll it out only for searches, not yet radio, etc.  Just start.  To not do it is hubris.

Now, as an adult, I will happily spin some NWA, Biggie, ASAP Rocky, Phish, Prince, Selena Gomez, Emperor, Nothing More, Windhand, Gorgoroth and Guns N' Roses.

... and I'm gone. Cancelled the subscription, trying Apple Music & Amazon Prime.

As someone else pointed out, its bull**bleep** that I can't tell Spotify to go **bleep** themselves on this forum, but I can't stop them swearing at my kids...

Yep, they were able to implement the feature on their forums easily enough. **bleep**ing bleep indeed.

The majority of my music swears and it's not flagged and I am ok with that but when I'm at work and can't turn on my music because I'll get in trouble if it swears it is really frustrating

Another +1. I'd like to add that many adults don't appreciate the same content that we want to protect children from. Queued up the Top 50 USA and I couldn't believe the stream of profanity and vulgarity. I'll pass on the subscription, thanks.

Should be an automatic skip because some people are not tied to their device

Another +1.  This feature is needed.

Apple Music sucks compared to Spotify, but they seem to have gotten this right and it's a deal breaker.

Example: Pick a stream of what I think are pretty ok songs - wait, someone threw in a rap song with a bunch of Mother**bleep**er this and Mother**bleep**er that. Yeah, I should have gone through every song in the list . . . I guess . . . except that's just dumb when this topic has been around for 3 years being ignored. Instead, I think I will go fume about Spotify on twitter and consider my options.

You suck!

We use this for a retail store and dont want to hear all the f bombs!

You Suck spotify, Go PANDORA!!

Make sure you add your kudos to the "Under Consideration" version of this.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869

They should take a note out of the YouTube playbook and outsource tagging of songs as child inappropriate. When songs reach a certain voting threshold they're censored by the community as only available to certain age groups. This puts the censorship in the hands of the community rather than the company. This seems a far more appropriate way to go than having some overly stuffy suits deciding what we are and aren't allowed to listen to.

I totally agree. All the students want me to use spotify in the classroom for more control than Pandora. However, without this feature I cannot ensure that my students won't be exposed to inappropriate language. I am willing to skip the songs that are about inappropriate subject matter. 

This was requested 3 years ago, they obviously don't have any intention to add this feature. I use this at work and it would be very handy to filter out songs with explicit lyrics in them.

What is Spotify doing? Add this feature please. It doesn't hurt and also good for your business. I guess they just a bunch of fat asses who are lazy to do their jobs. I play it through my shop today and I think well if it doesn't have "Explicit " label on it would be okay, but nope I got f word at full volume. Trying to find explicit filter, can't find one, spotify you are stupid now I'm going to change to Apple music after the expire date. You just lost another customer.

**bleep** cencorship! I would be absolutley furious if someone decided to censor something that I had created. 

You simply DO NOT censor art! It is unacceptable! Censorship has no place in the free world, it is a tool only used by dictators.

I fully support Spotify in their decision to not censor art!

Nobody is suggesting that Spotify start censoring art - what we're asking is if we can have a switch that says "I'm in an environment that it would be considered unprofessional for me to be listening to explicit songs" and it auto-censor what we don't want to be listening to at that time. Likewise those of us that have kids want the option to be able to have parental control and state "I don't want my young children listening the versions of songs that have explicit lyrics." We're not by any means suggesting that anyone is enforcing censorship on Spotify users.

Suggested posts