Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

265 Replies

I think this read should be made sticky, so it is easier to find, and so people stop using old threads for old versions when needing help with this version.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Thanks for your work on the linux client. After I figured out a solution for localfies not playing, this has been the best version so far on my machine (Opensuse 12.2). I still have the drag & drop problem, but as long as I can use right click there really are no problems.

Ever since the last update, I've been also suffering from drag-and-drop killing spotify, the new horrid light-gray artist pages and more pushy social integration. Could you guys keep older versions in the debian repository, so we could roll back and/or install them on other machines?

There's some discussion on this here.

I just wanted to inform you people and that this is just awesome! I have spotify on my netbook and this version just rocks. I don't have any problems with drag&drop seg faults. It just works as it should. I am on a more or less clean install of Arch Linux. If this is helpful to solve the problem for others I am happy to provide other information!

Btw. I installed the package from AUR(a repacked version of the debian package of 0.8.8) and I would love to use the zip package but I just get errors about missing libraries. I know that I can resolve those with symlinks but will it be maybe possible to get around that and only ask for minimum requierments. Arch Linux is mostly using newer versions of the libraries.

After less than 60 seconds of playing it gives up and starts puking errors 117 and 114. When I close it it coredumps all over itself. Ubuntu 12.04. More or less, I get the same symptoms with the latest mopidy. It didn't happen with the previous version (i reckon that it was 0.8.3). It doesn't happen on 12.10 0.8.4. It works perfectly on another system which is more or less the same (netbook with 12.04 0.8.8).

EDIT: Sorry, scratch that. It was due to a flaky network connection

Missing dependency in the deb: libqt4-network.

I had to install manually. (apt-get install libqt4-network)

I'm delighted to have linux support! Wouldn't use Spotify otherwise. Keep up the good work.

Is there a memory leak with this version. Memory usage starts around 60-100mb then gradully increases to 700+ this can take an hour or so, or even more, but it does gradually creep up.   Hear is a break down of MEM usage

Private
more
255924 KB [heap]
22328 KB /opt/spotify/spotify-client/libcef.so
12704 KB /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify
8660 KB /opt/google/talkplugin/lib/libCg.so
7496 KB /usr/lib/nvidia-experimental-310/libnvidia-glcore.so.310.14

Hello,

I'm a Fedora user and I'd like to signal an issue I'm having with spotify 0.8.8(.323) for AMD64:

the 64bit executable is linked to 32bit libraries.

Doing a ldd spotify | grep "not found", results in:

libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libcairo.so.2 => not found
        libpango-1.0.so.0 => not found
        libatk-1.0.so.0 => not found
        libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
        libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => not found
        libcairo.so.2 => not found
        libpango-1.0.so.0 => not found
        libnss3.so.1d => not found
        libnssutil3.so.1d => not found
        libsmime3.so.1d => not found
        libplc4.so.0d => not found
        libnspr4.so.0d => not found
        libgconf-2.so.4 => not found
        libcups.so.2 => not found
        libgcrypt.so.11 => not found

These libraries are present on my system in the 64 bit version. Providing symlinks as your readme.fedora suggest, results indeed in an ELF compatibility error, for example:

$ ln -s /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 ./

$ ./spotify

./spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

And of course it can be solved by installing 32bit packages e.g. "yum install gtk2.i686" and by correctly symlinking (since your script linklibs will correctly link to 64 bit version, but spotify executable uses 32 bit versions).

I'm sorry if this has been signaled before or if this is not the right place where to report it.

I really think you should provide this thing as a binary download as well. I don't like adding repositories to my Linux...

@QuantumFlux wrote:

I really think you should provide this thing as a binary download as well. I don't like adding repositories to my Linux...

Is that not what the zip files in the first post are for? (including non-debian distros)

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Whoops, yes, sorry. That's probably what they are for...

@Vakio wrote:
I'm seeing this too. The program hangs after those lines, and after a while starts spamming stdout with

"13:26:33.153 E [watchdog.cpp:182 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: network)

13:26:34.153 E [watchdog.cpp:182 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: network)
13:26:34.154 E [watchdog.cpp:182 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: gui)
13:26:35.154 E [watchdog.cpp:182 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: network)"

I haven't found a way to reproduce this yet, but it's pretty frequent. And I also agree with juchem in that it used to happen sometimes, but is now much more common with the latest version. Any ideas on how to diagnose it further? (Cleared the cache already, etc.)

EDIT: Debian unstable, amd64, KDE 4.8.4., kernel 3.7.1-1~experimental.1

Wow, it's been over two months since this message. Funny how time flies when the product you're paying for is unusable. I can't listen to more than 1 - 3 tracks before getting a deadlock crash, but it can happen as quick as ten seconds.

(To be honest, Spotify isn't totally unusable, as I'm also using the Android version. There I'm only fighting with the "New music won't stay downloaded" bug. Sigh.)

Hey Vakio 🙂 

I'm not a linux expert, so I am not really sure what is going on with your issue, but since the Linux client is a preview, be aware it is not officially supported by Spotify. If you are having issues and you have Facebook, you might want to try out the new web player (beta) which you can access from this Facebook page

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the web player link. Seems to work pretty nicely.

I understand that the Linux client isn't officially supported. I'm just disappointed that after years of having a usable version of the software, we end up stuck with a really unstable release and very little visible activity from the developers (the person who tried to start troubleshooting my issue in this thread literally hasn't made a single post since then). Hopefully it'll get fixed sooner or later.

Seconded. The current version (0.8.8.232) is horribly unstable, and crashes whenever I drag a track somewhere. In addition the changes to the user interface are horrible, constantly changing between black on white and white on black. The previous version (which is included in the official Ubuntu 12.4 release) has been giving me sterling service for a long time, now I'm left with an unusable product for which you charge me money.

Would it really be that much to ask not to delete older versions in the repo when you upload never versions? That way we could easily downgrade when you screw up and push out a broken release like the current version.

Tried this, only it won't let me play any of the tracks in my playlist. The player in the top right is not fully functioning. Perhaps you could advise ?

Kind regards

This 'update' is a goddamned joke. It is unconscionable that Spotify has released such an abomination, and gone so far as to cement it by rolling it out on Windows.

Other than the most basic functions, this app is now unusable. 

Some explaination and apology from Spotify would be welcome.  

Hi,

today I've installed the client on Linux-Mint 13-64bit  ( Cinnamon and Mate ) and it works fine !

Good work, thanks!

Thank you so much for working on the linux version of Spotify. It's so great switching from my work (Windows) to my home (Ubuntu) system and still have my playlists!

Suggested posts