Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local mp3 files aren't syncing to iPhone 6

Local mp3 files aren't syncing to iPhone 6

My local mp3 files can be played on spotify on my computer but not on the iPhone 6. They show up along with the other files being synced for offline play, but they are grayed out and not able to be played. How can I fix this problem?

5 Replies

Hello @max_lefar, welcome to the community!

Did you follow all the steps in this article to sync the music to your iPhone? You need to make sure Spotify is open, you are connected to the same wifi and logged into the same account on both devices. After that, go back to your desktop under devices click your iPhone and click "Sync with Spotify" click the playlist with the local files in it and make it available offline 🙂 

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

It's also worth mentioning that there is a current bug that makes it so some local files can't play. The developers are looking into this.

Can you get some local files to sync? Or do none of them sync?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Can't get any of them to sync. Hopefully they fix that soon

@max_lefar 

It looks like the local file bug is affecting any local file that has (parenthesis, commas, dashes, etc.) in the name. The developers are currently investigating this.

Also,

Are you trying to use the "Devices" tab in the sidebar of the desktop app to sync your local files? 

Don't use that. It's a very old and outdated part of the desktop app that will likely be removed with the new desktop version coming in early 2015.

(make sure your phone and computer are on the same WiFi network)

1: Go into the desktop app

2: Make a playlist and title it "Local Files"

3: In the left sidebar under "Your Music" click on "Local Files"

4: CTR + A (Windows) or COMMAND + A (Mac) to select all of them and then right click and select "add to" and add them to the "Local FIles" playlist you created

5: Open the "Local Files" playlist you created on your phone and find the "Available Offline" toggle at the top of the playlist and switch it to on

Then every time you add a local file, make sure it's also inside of this playlist.

Hopefully this helps even though there is currently a bug that might make some local files not sync.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I still got this problem, but irregular.

This means at first I have to re-download my offline music for once in a while.

Thats no problem for me, I just lay down my iPhone for a couple of minutes and it's done.

But the real problem is, that my imported mp3s don't always sync. Thats very annoying, becauseI have no idea what the problem is and why it happens irregularly.

There are no commas, dashes, whatever in the files name, I tagged them multible times to be sure there is nothing crazy in these files what could interrupt the sync.

I know this is from 2014, but I really desperate 😞

Please help me, I need Thom Yorke and Tool for my soul

Suggested posts