Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Maximum volume too low

Solved!

Maximum volume too low

The maximum volume is too low when using the Windows Client. Any solution? Turning the Windows master volume up or the speaker/amp volume is no solution for me. Every other app, web-based, ... is fine regarding the volume. 

When I am in the 1/3 part of the volume slider I can barely hear anything.

30 Replies

AWESOME! totally worked!

Thanks a lot, turning off the volume normilizer helped for me.

I've had the same problem for a while however I've found a better solution then all of the others. I realised I had the volume bar on the spotify application at half way the whole time. The volume bar in Spotify can be found when opening the application at found at the bottom right. Turn that up and the sound will be loud instead of having to go through the sound panel and manually changing the whole volume on your computer.

This definitely works for Windows 7 but depending on your sound driver and playback device, these options may not be available. This works on my Laptop when playing sound on the laptop speakers.

- Right click the sound icon in the system tray by the clock

- Click "Playback Devices"

- In the Playback Tab double click your default playback device (probably your speakers). If you're not sure which one is the correct one. Start playing music and then view the list of devices again. The current playback device will have a green fluctuating VU meter next to it.

- Click the "Enhancements" tab

- Check the box next to "Loudness Equalization", making sure that all other enhancements are unchecked.

- Hit "OK" and enjoy

Unchecking that option fixed it for me

I've had the same problem for a while and no suggested fix worked. 

I decided to fiddle with all the settings in windows and what I found is the Loudness Equaliser thing in playback devices decided to reduce the volume to roughly a third without notifying me about it, sneaky ***** windows. Turning it off fixed everything 😄

god bless your soul, my friend!

Sorry bud, I'm not going to pay for an add-on to provide sound for a MUSIC service that I already pay for monthly.  Really? Sheesh!

That's a good troubleshooting opportunity but what I think some people are missing is that Spotify by default outputs at roughly 85% of the normal output of Windows apps. iTunes, Groove, Chrome, etc. all output audio at 100% volume whereas Spotify will always be lower. There seems to be problem more-so with the app's ability to boost audio. The fact that people have to install third-party apps to manage an EQ to artificially boost the signal is pretty lame. Spotify should remedy this. If anyone is recording their streams, they'll have to use another third-party app like Audacity to boost the signal of the files they capture. I know, tough life of the pirate, but it's still a little annoying that Spotify would miss on this detail. Makes a moderate difference if you don't have very loud speakers to begin with.

UPDATE: I found out that as far as audio capture, Windows needs to be set around 90% output with the "recording" tab found by right-clicking the volume icon and selecting "recording devices" and finding the levels tab. So that solved the output to sound card capture problem that some have mentioned but that doesn't solve the app being a quieter volume output by default compared to every other app installed on your computer.

Wow I just noticed that UNCHECKING "Loudness Equalization" does make Spotify louder, but just about everything else gets louder with Loudness Equalization ENABLED, especially Netflix, Xfinity streaming video, and foobar music player . I had initially turned it on because Netflix was so quiet when played on my laptop speakers. Never played with the setting again because I noticed higher volume for nearly everything on my laptop. Weird. 

Marked as solution

Hey @Mickey,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this in the Community 🙂

We just wanted to suggest a few more troubleshooting steps in addition to the solutions that have been posted here already:

• check if Volume level is set to Loud or Normal on app's Settings
  • log out, restart the device, and then log back in
  • try a clean reinstall following these steps
  • connect to a different network
  • try using a different device

Hope that helps!

Suggested posts