Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Soundrop alternative?

Soundrop alternative?

Is there some kind of alternative to Soundrop somewhere, now that the API it relied on is gone?  All I want is a way for people in different cities to listen to the same song at the same time.

Details: I use this when running tabletop role playing games (think Dungeons and Dragons) online using programs like Maptool.  It adds a lot to the experience when all the players are listening to the same music at the same time.  We've never had much use for Soundrop's voting mechanics, or the shared management features -- we're busy playing the game, the music is for ambience.

I've got the playlists; I just need to play them for the group, which currently has members in Seattle, Grand Forks, and Denver.  Suggestions?

7 Replies

I haven't tried it out myself, but I did come across this software recently that was created specifically because of the discontinuation of Soundrop: http://soundbounce.org/

The only problem is it does require a premium account and is only on Windows right now. From the developer's site: "Soundbounce uses Libspotify, which requires a Premium account to use. In future, we may be able to release a fully browser-based solution, but Spotify will need to enable developer support for apps in their Web Player."

Anyway, it looks like a decent solution if everybody can actually install the software and has Premium accounts. I'd love to see a web version.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well, we're trying SoundBounce.

The fact that all the rooms are currently public is a bit awkward.  We just had somebody join our room and add music to the list during a game session, which would have been fine if the music had fit the occasion even a little bit.  But it didn't.

I can't figure out how to shuffle the playlist.  And there doesn't appear to be a volume control built in, which is pretty basic.

So ... early days yet!  But  it does indeed synchronize the music, which is the important thing.

Thanks.

Also there is an OSX beta

Hey wdmartin, have you had any luck finding anything like soundbounce the past few years? Has anyone else been having the same problems you have?I am looking into build one myself.

Well, after Soundrop died we used SoundBounce for a good long while, and
it still works, though the lack of private rooms is annoying.

Lately we've been using Discord. I've got SyrinScape, which plays sound
effects, and there was a good tip on their forums about forwarding
network audio through Discord. Link:

https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/syrinscape-protip-08-using-syrinscape-with-discord-for-online-play/70...

Basically, it uses a program called VoiceMeeter to map a bunch of
virtual audio outputs, such that audio from my computer gets forwarded
into Discord and sent to anyone in the same voice channel as me. So I
just play music in normal Spotify and the other players in my D&D game
hear it.

It works pretty well, but it has some downsides:

1) When it's active, it forwards ALL audio. So if some program makes a
notification DING noise, for example, that gets broadcast.

2) It's not especially easy to set up/take down. I got it working, but
I haven't dared touch it since, even though it would be nice if I could
put it in a mode that doesn't forward audio.

3) If VoiceMeeter isn't running, your computer will have no audio at
all.

4) The normal system volume control does nothing when VoiceMeeter is
running -- volume can only be adjusted through VoiceMeeter or within
application-specific volume settings.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Just keep posting help.

Sounbounce v2 is pretty cool, works via website and can connect on all devices:

v2.soundbounce.org

Suggested posts