Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Won't Open

Solved!

Spotify Won't Open

When I double click on spotify it does not open.  I check the task manager and it shows up there, but nothing else happens. 

Things I've tried:

•  Disabling Firewall and Anitvirus
  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling (complete with combing through the registry)
  • Restarting my computer
  • Closing the program through task manager and opening it again
  • Running it in compatability mode
  • Opening as administrator

And I'm still having the same problem I am running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

Help?

Edit: May it would help if I were more specific.  When I double click on Spoitfy, I see it in the processes section of task manager, but it doesn't show up in my applications section.  I don't know if that changes things.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I HAD the same problem, running Win 7 SP1. When I tried to open Spotify I could see a glympse of the login windows - until it disappeared and the whole program shut down. While struggling with this problem I suddenly remembered that I changed the cache folder for offline playlists. I made an obvious move and deleted the NEW folder and now Spotify runs as smooth as ever.

I'm not saying that this will work for everyone but maybe it's worth trying. By default the cache folder can be found at (WIN 7!) C:\Users\Your_username\AppData\Local\Spotify\storage ...IF I remember correctly.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Dam n... That's frustrating.

I really put much effort trying to keep using Spotify as my player. But it keeps disappointing.

I tried your way and it didn't work at first.

So I deleted the whole "\AppData\Local\Spotify" folder and then it worked.

Hope it helps someone else... Better luck for us in the future.

Cheers

J

Marked as solution

Nice, I've found a sort of solution (for Windows 7).

I think sometimes Spotify update goes wrong and then stops to open.

In 'AppData/Local/Spotify', go to '/Update' and run the installer.

It's like give it a push so it can runs again.

Works for me and don't have to delete all the cache content.

72 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

This is very strange, I have never seen this before!

Are you sure its not being opened but minimised to the system tray?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm sure, there's no spotify icon in my tray.

I am having exactly the same problem as have a number of people on this forum.

I have another installation of windows and it works fine.

I found a solution from another thread; you run windows in safe mode (F8 on startup) uninstall and reinstall, works fine for me afterwards.

how do i do that? 

This is a joke spotify, i want my £9.99 back,

I need to do this windows safe mode reinstall every time i want to use spotify, so i no longer want this terrible service.

Where is the contact us page?? Please refer me the contact details so and i can get a refund and i want all my profile details removed!!

Hey @ElectrixLadyLan 🙂

Sorry for the delay, 

You can get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be more than happy to help you.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

Is there a final solution to the starting problem with Spotify? I am a Windows 8.1 user and once starting Spotify nothing happens. Appplcation apperas in the task list but I am unable to open it/play music. Even after I remove it from the list and try restarting. This is disapointing. Suggestions?

Does your computer have any security or other software running (or group policies on company laptops) which might be preventing Spotify from running correctly from the %appdata% folders?

Peter

I'm having the same problem on a Mac OSX. When I try to open the application, it logs me in automatically and brings up the spotify application, and then immediately shuts down.

I've tried restarting my computer, uninstalling/reinstalling.... but still nothing.

Thanks for any help!

Same problem on a Mac as well running OSX 10.6.8. Loads up and then crashes after a second. Tried the reinstall process a couple times. Help!!

If you start Spotify whilst you are not connected to the internet does it start fine? And then does it crash as soon as you go online?

Peter

Actually yes. It opened, then I reconnected. I actually started playing a song and it was working until I went back to my browser (Chrome) and then it shut down again. 

Just wondering is chrome triggering something. If you use another browser apart from Chrome do you still get the crash?

Peter

Still crashed with Firefox. Went ahead and tried it offline and it worked, but when I connected to the internet it only lasted about 10 seconds before it crashed again. No browsers had been loaded since system restart. 

I have iOS X version 10.9.1 and my spotify crashes after opening everytime.

I've restarted. Uninsalled and reinstalled. It worked for about a day since I got it and now nothing. Please help!

I am getting really sick and tired of Spotify proponents saying, "Hmm, this is really strange!". A simple Google search will tell you that under "Spotify won't ____" the words "open" and "launch" are the first two automatic searches to pop up. Maybe instead of condescending to us and telling paying users that "Oh wow! Never seen this before, this is strange", Spotify should just fix this type of bug in the first place. By the way, I've seen you post the exact same phrase - "Oh, this is really strange!" - or variations of it, on numerous threads that detail the same issue. See the screenshotted image attached here, I've been having the exact same issue.

Screenshot 2014-03-06 01.34.06.png

1. Anyone with a red name doesn't work for Spotify.
2. The post you are referring to on the previous page is from 2012 which no matter what way you look at it is quite a long time ago.

But hey I could maybe help, but I won't bother.

Peter

Hello, Peter

I'm having the exact same problem with spotify as the first message on the thread. The only difference is that i'm working with windows 8.1 instead of xinah's win7 sp1.

basically:

"When I double click on spotify it does not open.  I check the task manager and it shows up there, but nothing else happens. 

Things I've tried:

•  Disabling Firewall and Anitvirus
  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling (complete with combing through the registry)
  • Restarting my computer
  • Closing the program through task manager and opening it again
  • Running it in compatability mode
  • Opening as administrator"

Is uninstalling spotify on safe mode and the reinstalling it a viable solution? 

Suggested posts