Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Won't Open

Solved!

Spotify Won't Open

When I double click on spotify it does not open.  I check the task manager and it shows up there, but nothing else happens. 

Things I've tried:

•  Disabling Firewall and Anitvirus
  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling (complete with combing through the registry)
  • Restarting my computer
  • Closing the program through task manager and opening it again
  • Running it in compatability mode
  • Opening as administrator

And I'm still having the same problem I am running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

Help?

Edit: May it would help if I were more specific.  When I double click on Spoitfy, I see it in the processes section of task manager, but it doesn't show up in my applications section.  I don't know if that changes things.

72 Replies

Spotify was working fine last night, and now it won't run.

I clicked everything i could to open it, and It won't unistall for me to reinstall. i tried a few methods from this thread and nothing is working. 

help. please. 

Hi, after many hours of reading this worked for me...and still on Windows 8.1. I downloaded Spotify again from their website (without being able to uninstall) and re-booted. previously I had tried downgrading the compatibility to Windows 7 or XP but it did not help..nor could I find the 'C:\users etc. Appdata\local/spotify' location either (like many others) to try that solution. I did right click on icon and 'Run as Administrator' so not sure if this added to the cure or not. Good luck

@50shade_of_gtfo wrote:

Spotify was working fine last night, and now it won't run.

I clicked everything i could to open it, and It won't unistall for me to reinstall. i tried a few methods from this thread and nothing is working. 

help. please. 

After reading this topic having the same problems but didnt get an answer,  ive found my cure.... Antivirusprogram Bitdefender somehow stopped the program from working completely. After taking the protection off for a sec... spotify started up normally and i could play music again. Turned Bitdefender on again and spotify keeps running.

Hope this helps someone

Edit*

You can exclude spotify.exe from being scanned. Spotify works normally again

I firgured it out.  Someone mentioned Bitdefender.  I went into Bitdefender, went to protection, pressed on antivirus, went to exclusions and found Spotify, and disabled it for that, and I launched Spotify right away and it worked.  

Right click > detect compatibility issues > run test > works fine now.

I also have Bitdefender and 'yet again' Spotify would not open. I added Spotify to the excluded processes list and it opened straight away.

Same issue here:

Spotify won't open after it gets automatically updated to 1.0.7.157. So right now, everytime I would like to use it, I have to deinstall/reinstall it with an older spotify setup file. Therefore I assume it is linked to the latest update because it only happens after I close spotify and it is updated automatically.

1. How can I fix this?
2. How can I disable automatic updated?

Using Windows 8 laptop
Spotify 1.0.4.90.g0b6df40b
which then gets updated automatically to 1.0.7.157

Hi, can anyone help?  I am on Spotify premium and I use it on an iphone as well as desk top.  Since icon turned pea green yesterday I am unable to open it on my iphone,  Can anyone help?  I dont want to have to delte and reinstall as I will lose all my saved music and it will cost me to resave?

Reboot the phone.

Sorry. Already did the standard tech techniques. Didnt work

Hello:

All who are having issues with the updating of spotify. If you do a full uninstall, removing files and folders associated with the spotify app. Then shut your system down fully, not just a reboot a full system shut down. Then start the system back up and go to this install link for version 1.0.8 here http://upgrade.spotify.com/upgrade/client/win32-x86/spotify_installer-1.0.8.44.g2d463d4e-99.exe

now try and reinstall and see if things run correctly.

Hey, thanks.
It was bothering me for a while now!
I was one who were reinstalling Spotify every time.
All good now, and Tray is back.

Appreciate it.
Cheers
J

This worked for me when I could not open Spotify.

seisoppa's answer:

1. Go to C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Spotify
  2. Delete the contents of the Storage folder
  3. Start Spotify

Just ran into this problem with Spotify.

The quick fix that worked for me; right click the spotify shortcut > properties > compatability tab

then click the box "Run this program in compatability mode for:"  then select Windows 8

Hope this helps!

This worked for me, might be worth a try for anyone who got it around today (12/02/15).

Go to the "Spotify" folder that many people have mentioned, do so by searching "%appdata%" in the search bar of the start menu on windows 7 or by right clicking the windows button and selecting run, the searching the same there.

From there, find the "Spotify" folder and go into it, inside of there you should see two items (executables) with the spotify logo, one will say "Spotify" and the other will say "SpotifyLauncher", by launching with the second option I was able to log in and continue using spotify happily.

Now just make a desktop shortcut, pin that to your task bar as a replacement for your old one and now, because you are forcing your computer to load Spotify from the initial state of logging in, you should not have this issue again.

Hope this helps, Good Luck Gents!

I just wanted to post a solution that worked for me. I've had the same problem several times in the past.

Basically, Spotify works fine for awhile, then when you click on the icon you see the Windows hour glass icon flash for a second, then nothing. Spotify shows up in the task manager as started, but you cannot see it anywhere. I tried to uninstall it, but the same thing happens. You see the Spotify process in the task manager, but it doesn't uninstall (I also tried that after stopping the process, after restarting the computer, etc.).

What had previously worked for me was to delete the cache data (C:\user\<user name>AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage). This worked great once. Keep in mind that where I wrote <user name>, you will see your user name in the path. Also keep in mind that the AppData directory is hidden. If you want to see it you need to open a file explorer window and (in Windows 😎 click on "view" (in the explorer ribbon) then select the little box that says "hidden files". If you're on Windows 7, you need to open (if I remember right) the file explorer, click on options, then view, then advanced, then scroll down till you see the box for hide/show hidden and system files and set it to show them.

That option did not work for me this time. This time, it seems my bitdefender installed an update and was preventing Spotify from opening, uninstalling, etc. Blahsheep's solution of going into BitDefender, clicking on protection, then clicking on antivirus, then clicking on exclusions worked. When you click on exclusions, you need to click on "excluded processes", then "add", then you need to find your spotify.exe file (usually it's in c:\users\<user name>\appdata\roaming\spotify). When I did this, it started with no problems. If you are running BitDefender I would suggest trying this before you delete your cache, otherwise you'll have to download your songs again.

Just my two cents. I hope it helped.

Hot Poker

Marked as solution

Dam n... That's frustrating.

I really put much effort trying to keep using Spotify as my player. But it keeps disappointing.

I tried your way and it didn't work at first.

So I deleted the whole "\AppData\Local\Spotify" folder and then it worked.

Hope it helps someone else... Better luck for us in the future.

Cheers

J

I am having the same problem, except that the app doesn't show up in the task manager.

By the way, just to add that:

I'm having to delete the cache folder ('AppData/Local/Spotify') everytime in order to open it.

So it's been only a wayaround...

Right click desktop, click display settings, then under multiple dispays select "show only one". This worked ffor me on windows 10

Suggested posts