Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

Solved!

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

For the past week, I've been un-installing and re-installing Spotify like crazy so I could access new music. This also leads to a problem saying that it "cannot initialize the storage of temporary files".

55 Replies

I tried the full installer, I still get error 17.  I tried installing in 'safe mode,' and it knocked out my internet connection (on my laptop only, not the other ones in the house).  Any other ideas? Anyone? I can't believe this is so difficult.

I just the ccleaner and used that, aaaaaannndddd... error 17. Then I noticed that when I downloaded spotify, it had an (8) next to it, so ccleaner never even touched all the exe files I had.  I went through and hand-deleted all the spotify.exe's except for a ghost file that said it was in a different location, and then I downloaded again, and, wait for it..... ..... ..... error 17.

This is so frustrating. And I'm paid through April 11.  I'm going to just put this all behind me and Youtube it from now on.

This solution worked for me also, I kept hitting f3 to allow the registry to look for additional files unitl every file that had "spotify" was found and deleted.  I then tried a new install of the software and it worked.  Many thanks.

Here is a solution that worked for my windows 7 laptop: I Uninstalled the vesion that wasnt working then followed these steps

1. Clicked to download the program

2. An icon with the program's setup folder appeared at the botton of my screen

3 Clicked on view all my downloads ( bottom right)

4. Clicked view file in folder 

5 Right clicked on the folder and clicked on Troubleshooting Compatibility

6 System suggested a compatible vesion to run the program on

7 Run the program and it installed successfully

Hope that helps!!

you are the bomb.com

Have Windows 7 and the Compatibility with Windows XP checkbox in properties did the trick. Thanks!

Worked like a charm thanks!

Spotify was finally able to install after setting the compatibility to Windows XP. Thanks!

thanks!!!!!! 😄

this worked for me! finally! thank you so much!
i literally tried everything else but nothing worked till now

from properties where do you find "firewall" to unblock?

Hello,

First of all wich OS are u using? 

Windows 7,8.1 10?

1: Normally if you install spotify, you get an automated message from firewall allow/disallow connection! just press allow!

2: If you didnt get the message you can manually ad the program to youre firewall advance settings in and out!

I sent you 12 staps how to do this in windows 10 if you have hidden folders enabled in folder options!

Repeat the 12 steps for incoming and outgoing connection/ restart computer and see if program works! If you still having problems then try removing the install with piriform CCleaner! 

stap1.gif

stap2.gifstap3.gifstap4.gifstap5.gifstap6.gifstap7.gifstap8.gifstap9.gifstap10.gifstap11.gifstap12.gif

want to thank all of you nice folks out there for putting up with us old guys...my pc is using windows 7 premium..in the past spotify would load up and work fine,although it seemed a little long in the tooth at loading...it stopped a couple of weeks ago..it would try to load,but would sit there with a black screen and seemed to freeze at that point..been using the web player recently and it would allow me to long in fine..yesterday I decided to reinstall spotify (3times),noticed one of you folks mention something about compatbility issues..after a few trys and loading in safe mode..I found I could it fixed by using not windows 7(not given as option)but (get this) windows vista(who new??) thanks all..great advice and help..Chris Calgary, Canda EH?

your solution is really working, thanks

I've had it...only going to use other sites from now on.  No issues with any other music service, why only spotify?  I have been able to download, only to have the next update send me into another error 17 situation.  Why is this?  Shame, I have several created playlists I would like to access, but I'm not willing to go thru the drill every time I get a sindows 10 upgrade?

Brill.  Thanks.  Top tip.  Worked a treat.

D H Greer

Im still getiing the error code 17.. I´ve literally tried EVERYTHING! WHAT THE ACTUAL **bleep**.. I am getting so frustrated.. Just let me install the darn **bleep**in program..

So,just to let you all know..when I first had the same problem,I was
able to get help from one of you fine folks by doing the following..I
restarted my machine in safe mode and was able to then install the
spotify install program..since then,I've had no issues..BUT.my machine
is now coming up on 8yrs old...it has windows 7 which have been
reinstalled..my daughter and I have just taken delivery of a new
computer with much more newer compoenents and windows 10..so I guess we
will see how it goes on the new one..thanks to all of you out there
trying to help old farts like me..thanks again..cb
Marked as solution

After trying all of the manual fixed I could find for this, and removing all of the directories related to Spotify, I realized that the launcher was still pulling saved data from some source that no one had listed. So I used CCleaner's uninstaller and then ran a full registry fix with CCleaner. Restart the installer, and everything worked just as it should. I should note that I still had the spotify.exe processes as an exclusion in Windows Defender (running Win10), though I don't believe that had any bearing on my issue.

Still doesnt work. Are we supposed to do any follow up actions to that or just install it?

Suggested posts