Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

Solved!

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

For the past week, I've been un-installing and re-installing Spotify like crazy so I could access new music. This also leads to a problem saying that it "cannot initialize the storage of temporary files".

55 Replies

Hi there i am very disappointed with the service of Spotify right now, im paying for the service and all of the comments etc i have tried, it still does not work. It works on my phone no problem but why is there all these problems with just installing it on my computer. Just want a simple solution. If this is happening to a lot of customers thou what is the main thing that will fix it ? 

You did it, moniquebf06! This was the solution for me. Now, I still encountered the dreaded Error 17, so I hit the properties tab and clicked on the previous versions tab, and it somehow magically worked. Thank you moniquebf06!

As for the Spotify programmers, this circuitous error is manageable on your end. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm a **bleep** when it comes to such matters. I've worked with enough IT guys to know now that these matters are not ALL my fault. If Spotify hopes to compete with Apple, their programmers will work to provide its users an easy fix to easy problems such as these. This whole matter was a ridiculous waste of my time.  

Thank you soo much 😉

Under previous versions for me it says no previous versions. I just about give up

yeah dont work FUCL MAN

Here you go! didnt wanne do it, but this is the way i got it to work! Have fun! and enjoy 🙂

Orriginal poster for workarround error 17 Windows 7, 8*, 10! 

Hello, thx for the warm welcome!

Ill give you mine sullution!

Download the latest spotify installer en put de exe file on your desktop.

1) right mouse click properties

2) remove blokkade

3) go to the upper tab compat*

4)check the box and choose install as windows xp service pack 2

5)Hit apply on the bottom and hit ok after this.

6)Now right mouse click on exe file ( spotify_installer.exe) and choose install as admin!

7)Spotify chould be installing and everything should work! 

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Thats very informative lol

the attachment you put still gave me the error code 

I did this and it found a fault.  It removed the fault but then when I downloaded it code 17 still appeared.

Hi,

So i"m unhappy to hear that this doesnt work for some of you guys! Try this:

1) Install CCleaner ( piriform )and deinstall spotify!

2) Clean your registry

3) Restart computer or laptop

4) When the computer is restarted, disable your antivirus software. ( only as long is needed to reinstall spotify ) Also disable windows defender!

5) Reinstall spotify as shown above!

6) Try to run spotify and check if everything works!

7) Enable your antivirus

I hope this helps, if not than i dont know what to do anymore! This helped for me and everything works fine on my machine! 

file1.jpg
file2.jpg

Finally, a solution that actually works. I tried for hours uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify in and out of safe mode and nothing worked. This COMBINED with jo23's response, below, worked for me, and I know NOTHING about computers, fyi.

1. I uninstalled Spotify completely from my desktop.

2. I deleted every "key" with the word "Spotify" in the description from the Registry using the instructions given by trexer1990.

3. I, then, downloaded CCcleaner and used the registry cleaner to also delete any corrupt registry files. 

4. After doing all of this, I reinstalled Spotify, and I am no longer having issues. 

Completely ridiculous, but it worked. And it took no time at all. I only wish I would have found this thread much earlier, because the combination of the two users suggestions is the only thing that worked for me. 

Thanks guys! 

Thank you!! Your suggestion combined with trexer1990's suggestion, above, FINALLY worked for me. I've been trying for 2 weeks to get Spotify back on my work desktop, and finally found a solution that actually works! So glad I found this thread! 

It's work! Thanks alot:)

Thanks bro!! That worked fine for me I love you!!!

Brillient.  Result.  The issue was driving me demented.  Your method worked for me.  Thanks!

D H Greer

Suggested posts