Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

Solved!

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

I keep getting this "already running" message when I try to open spotify.  It is listed as a process in Windows Task Manager, but it won't close when I try to force end the process.  I've been having this same issue many times over the past month.

Any ideas how to actually end the process, or better yet, keep it from doing this altogether?

141 Replies

I have the same problem running Windows8 (msdn)

Same problem with a collegue of mine who is also running win8. We can play 1/4 ofthe first song untill the app crashes. These problems started yesterday for me and the day before with my collegue.

Has anyone found a solution?

Have the same issue. Any solutions yet?

I suffered from the same problem, on Windows XP (don't ask!), until today.

My solution: I completely uninstalled Spotify and deleted the folder %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Spotify, rebooted and reinstalled Spotify. Since then it's been working. (Knock on wood!)

I am having this issue as well. Has no one seriously found a solution to this in 2 weeks?

Honestly I've tried giving Spotify a good go and give it the benefit of the doubt when it has failed on other devices, but it has become a brilliant advertisement for piracy recently.

I get this, too. Spotify will crash, then it won't reopen saying that it's already running. Restarting will get rid of it but it will give an error. Reinstalling it and deleting the Spotify folders from AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming will allow Spotify to open again, but it'll just crash in a little bit. The interface will react for a few seconds still then it'll completely freeze up. Using an elevated command prompt and the taskkill /f command says "Access is denied"

edit: I am under Windows 8 RTM from DreamSpark

Here's the text from the crash dialog:

Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	AppHangB1
  Application Name:	spotify.exe
  Application Version:	0.8.4.124
  Application Timestamp:	5023d050
  Hang Signature:	b1fa
  Hang Type:	1
  OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Hang Signature 1:	b1faf5f56dcc5911bea16cdfeb050b06
  Additional Hang Signature 2:	998a
  Additional Hang Signature 3:	998accdc926cc8c06f03d9ce889f45ef
  Additional Hang Signature 4:	6c8e
  Additional Hang Signature 5:	6c8e25a243d47f62fdb5b3c69de79c8c
  Additional Hang Signature 6:	fb84
  Additional Hang Signature 7:	fb84912ef7a82123ccbd6d419d4f96e1

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

And here's the text from Event Viewer: 

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Hang" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>101</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-30T05:16:13.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>4335</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>Josh-PC</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>Spotify.exe</Data> 
  <Data>0.8.4.124</Data> 
  <Data>710</Data> 
  <Data>01cd9ec9cdf9170a</Data> 
  <Data>60000</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe</Data> 
  <Data>6b3e2c6b-0abd-11e2-be8f-2c27d7bb13a7</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 
  <Binary>430072006F00730073002D0074006800720065006100640000000000</Binary> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

In the Event Viewer friendly view, that "binary" section reads "Cross-Thread" in hex view. If there's some other log I can provide let me know.

Same problem....

Tried reinstalling and delteting %appdata% 

Spotify freezes after a few seconds of playing

Not able to kill process. Access denied.

Windows 8 64 bit

I've been having the same problem for ages. I think it might be related to putting my laptop to sleep or hibernating as spotify is often not responding when I resume my computer, and then it closes but the process sticks around and refuses to be ended in task manager. I'm on windows 7. 

There was a thread about this here too: https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/crash_after_hibernate_cant_kill_spotify_exe

Also running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit RTM, also having Spotify freeze up at random. Things that have caused Spotify to freeze are:

- Playing any track for around 30 seconds

- Syncing with my Android Phone over WiFi (the program says the sync is still in process and doesn't move, although on the plus side the sync did complete successfully, and the phone is no longer connected to WiFi)

- Saving playlists to offline mode

The app will continue to respond even though these things occur, but if I attempt to change the track, click play, or try to exit the program, it will hang. The process can't be terminated in task manager, and Process Hacker couldn't kill it either (it actually hung too when I tried). Rebooting is the only way to kill it (that's reboot, not shutdown/startup, for reasons beyond me).

I have deleted all cache files, done a complete reinstall - no joy.

@SupaRawr93 wrote:

Rebooting is the only way to kill it (that's reboot, not shutdown/startup, for reasons beyond me).

Only rebooting works because of Windows 8's fast boot, which is similar to Windows 7's hibernate. You can turn it off in Control Panel/Power Options/System Settings

I'm aware of Hybrid Boot, but it only hibernates the kernel, not applications... all apps are supposed to be shut down as normal

Hi everyone - The majority of you are reporting using Windows 8 with this issue. 

We would like to be available on a range of platforms, and hope to support Windows 8 within the future. While it's in the RTM release at the moment, it's still not readily available in stores - watch this space! 

Our list of currently supported desktop platforms can be found here: https://www.spotify.com/help/faq/tech/#supported-platforms

Just to clarify this is frequently happening to me and a range of others using Windows 7 and we've tried everything recommended in this thread.

I sincerely doubt this issue is to do with the Windows 8 platform although would happily be proved wrong... or pointed in any other direction.

I agree, the person who started this thread was a windows 7 user and there are a great deal of others in this thread who are also on Windows 7 exeriencing the issue, this cannot be pushed to one side as something is clearly wrong in the applications code.

I experienced it for the first time today and even running command prompt at an elvated level with the following fails to kill the hung process

taskkill /im spotify.exe /f

Whats the dealio?

These problems are odd. I'v been thinking if it might be something to do with antivirus etc software that might be interfering it or firewalls.

Just wish someone in Finland had this problem and I could try to debug it remotely. I'v tried and tried to replicate this with multiple systems and I haven't been able to. I'v tried Windows 8 and Windows 7... 32 and 64-bit Pro and Enterprise versions of both systems. Custom PC or brand PC.

There has to be some sort of issue with Chipset or such driver or even network drivers can cause issues like this.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Greetings  😉 I too have this problem for 3 days now I am on Windows Vista .... Any solutions yet... Please Help

i also have the same problem, and i have windows 7 proff. 64

i really dont know why im still paying for spotify....

Is everyone else using 64-bit? I downloaded an unofficial super illegal 64-bit version as the official site doesn't seem have one and I think it might have quick fixed it for the time being.

Nevertheless, I don't hold high hopes given our past month in which I have learnt "Spotify Cares" really means "Spotify carefully likes to bang your head against a brick wall, steal your money, and remind you its all your fault".

Indeed my psychotherapist, Eliza, suggested the real solution is to admit it's been fun, but alas the time has come to part ways.

I think it's time we took a break Spotify. It's not me, it's you.

---

Please select 'Accept Solution' to help guide other users.

I too have been having the same problem, probably because I hibernate alot. I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit). I've been having this problem for quite a long time, maybe as long as a year, not sure. I'm surprised that they haven't been able to fix this bug. I've never seen anything alike, can it be so difficult to make a process killable? I'm really disappointed, maybe it is a good thing that spotify won't accept my Visa Debit card with which I can pay with on all other internet stores I've tried but - surprise surprise - not for Spotify.

Tried uninstall (and removing %appdata%) and installing spotify from http://www.x64bitdownload.com but same error. 

Spotify stops playing after 20 seconds...

Suggested posts