Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps stopping - streaming issues - i'm off!!

Solved!

Spotify keeps stopping - streaming issues - i'm off!!

well i hate to say this but after more than three years as a premium spotify user i may be leaving.  due to constant issues with streaming quality things have come to a head and i am trying alternatives.  currently got a 15 day trial to try with a rival.  so far so good no constant pausing like i get with spotify.  a bit different - going to take some getting used to, but for me the constant pausing has become a big issue.  i will still be using spotify as i have almost a month subscription left.  hopefully they can sort their issues in time.  this has been happening for a month or two now so dont hold out much hope.  a shame really, i havebeen a big spotify fan for a long time and drive my frinds mad saying how great it is.  maybe it has outgrown itself - server issues maybe i dont know.  i have 30mb connection and have tried all the tips listed on this community including turning off firewall (?!) and harware acceleration to no avail also tried running in poor sound quality mode - still breaking up/pausing.

90 Replies

At our office I only have problems streaming music via Android tablet (Motorola Xoom Wifi) on wifi connection. It is really spotty and nothing helps as far as Spotify settings are concerned.

Using the same network, everything works fine via iPad (wifi) and linux laptop (LAN).

I can use Spotify on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2, mobile data) without problems.

:: Carpe Jugulum! ::

It looks like it is a problem for premium and non-premium users. I have been having the same issue for the past 2-3 weeks.

Long live rock'n'roll !

I've noticed the same issue, i.e. intermittent streaming problems that have become more common in the past few weeks. There may be issues with how Spotify data is being routed as some of the IP addresses they use are also associated with malware distribution (do a tracert on the Spotify IPs and then do a search and you will find stuff similar to the below):

Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for AS29017 (GYRON)

What happened when Google visited sites hosted on this network?

Of the 13337 site(s) we tested on this network over the past 90 days, 531 site(s), including, for example, usingenglish.com/, glamourpicturelibrary.com/, myindex.co.uk/, served content that resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google tested a site on this network was on 2013-03-26, and the last time suspicious content was found was on 2013-03-26.

Has this network hosted sites acting as intermediaries for further malware distribution?

Over the past 90 days, we found 116 site(s) on this network, including, for example, insuranceclaimsaccommodation.co.uk/, filiatro.co.uk/, ezedeals.co.uk/, that appeared to function as intermediaries for the infection of 184 other site(s) including, for example, beastialitytube.org/, beastiality-tube.com/, zootubevideo.com/.

Has this network hosted sites that have distributed malware?

Yes, this network has hosted sites that have distributed malicious software in the past 90 days. We found 97 site(s), including, for example, roomhirepudsey.co.uk/, juggydroadshow.com/, t4-heathrow-parking.com/, that infected 285 other site(s), including, for example, extremeitservices.co.uk/, leadingsolutions.net/, t.co/.

Same here in Thailand. Have been using the service for 2 good years now but only lately (about a week or 10 days) I have had problems streaming music. I have a feeling this is a routing issue on a grander scale.

It may just be that Spotify's recent expansions have resulted in network problems for many Spotify's customers. From Engadget:

Rumors around the web have pegged Spotify for an impending expansion into more countries, with an official announcement purportedly slated for tomorrow. But it looks like the company's jumped the gun, as tips have begun to trickle in reporting the service as currently operational in Malaysia and Singapore. And it could be live in even more territories right now. A quick glance at Spotify's country selection page lists working sites for Mexico, Iceland, Hong Kong, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. We've reached out to the company for official comment on the rollout and will update when we hear back. Regardless, if you're living in any of those nations mentioned above, your streaming music options just increased by one.

@AbsolutelyNoFB wrote:

I've noticed the same issue, i.e. intermittent streaming problems that have become more common in the past few weeks. There may be issues with how Spotify data is being routed as some of the IP addresses they use are also associated with malware distribution (do a tracert on the Spotify IPs and then do a search and you will find stuff similar to the below):

Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for AS29017 (GYRON)

What happened when Google visited sites hosted on this network?

Of the 13337 site(s) we tested on this network over the past 90 days, 531 site(s), including, for example, usingenglish.com/, glamourpicturelibrary.com/, myindex.co.uk/, served content that resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google tested a site on this network was on 2013-03-26, and the last time suspicious content was found was on 2013-03-26.

Has this network hosted sites acting as intermediaries for further malware distribution?

Over the past 90 days, we found 116 site(s) on this network, including, for example, insuranceclaimsaccommodation.co.uk/, filiatro.co.uk/, ezedeals.co.uk/, that appeared to function as intermediaries for the infection of 184 other site(s) including, for example, beastialitytube.org/, beastiality-tube.com/, zootubevideo.com/.

Has this network hosted sites that have distributed malware?

Yes, this network has hosted sites that have distributed malicious software in the past 90 days. We found 97 site(s), including, for example, roomhirepudsey.co.uk/, juggydroadshow.com/, t4-heathrow-parking.com/, that infected 285 other site(s), including, for example, extremeitservices.co.uk/, leadingsolutions.net/, t.co/.

@AbsolutelyNoFB You are aware that GYRON is just a datacenter provider? 

Why is it such a shock that they might have some malware sites, to be honest I would say that any hosting company would generate similar statistics. Especially when you consider the last point mentions t.co which is the link redirection system for Twitter.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify runs fine on our computers but is lately constantly dropping connection streaming through our Smart TV. We weren't having a problem, but all of the sudden in the last month or so, it stops every 20 minutes and we have to back completely out to get it to play again. This does not happen with ANYTHING else we're streaming. We never have problems with Netflix or Amazon. It's really frustrating. We will stop paying for this service and find another if there's no improvement.

@Scribewoman wrote:

Spotify runs fine on our computers but is lately constantly dropping connection streaming through our Smart TV. We weren't having a problem, but all of the sudden in the last month or so, it stops every 20 minutes and we have to back completely out to get it to play again. This does not happen with ANYTHING else we're streaming. We never have problems with Netflix or Amazon. It's really frustrating. We will stop paying for this service and find another if there's no improvement.

What sort of Smart TV do you have? 

Peter

Peter

I've had the issues on multiple ISP's, my works being 125 down 10 up. I have the issue on multiple computers and also my Roku. When I have the issue my friends with Spotify also have it. This is a Spotify service issue, and I hope they fix it sooner rather than later cause its getting pretty old.

-Dru

@DrYou wrote:
I've had the issues on multiple ISP's, my works being 125 down 10 up. I have the issue on multiple computers and also my Roku. When I have the issue my friends with Spotify also have it. This is a Spotify service issue, and I hope they fix it sooner rather than later cause its getting pretty old.

-Dru

Do you ever get any error messages? 

Peter

Peter

I've been noticing this for a few weeks, at first it was acceptable to have some hiccups with the streaming, things go wrong. Unlike what I'd hoped it keeps getting worse. I'll have an hour or 2 of perfect stream and then another hour of constant stalling and this drives me up a wall. The sudden drop and to top it all off no explanation from the Spotify program itself, every time this occurs I ping servers, load up web pages, just to see if its my problem...no, no its not. Unfortunately Spotify renewed just a few days ago and got another $10 out of me. This crap doesn't clear up I'm very reluctant to leave but will do so with no results.

Having these issues, too. After a couple weeks ago having the issue about not being able to login at all for a couple days and now not being able to play any songs for the last 2 days really, I'm getting a little disappointed. I love Spotify, but these things shouldn't be becoming frequent issues... 

To be very honest, I'd take a look at your router. I had a Netgear that would drop consistently drop connections on a few specific sites, like clockwork. Immediately fixed when I changed routers. I'm not saying this definitely applies in all cases, but I wouldn't rule it out when troubleshooting.

Or has troubleshooting become a lost art?

@Nodiskus wrote:
I've been noticing this for a few weeks, at first it was acceptable to have some hiccups with the streaming, things go wrong. Unlike what I'd hoped it keeps getting worse. I'll have an hour or 2 of perfect stream and then another hour of constant stalling and this drives me up a wall. The sudden drop and to top it all off no explanation from the Spotify program itself, every time this occurs I ping servers, load up web pages, just to see if its my problem...no, no its not. Unfortunately Spotify renewed just a few days ago and got another $10 out of me. This crap doesn't clear up I'm very reluctant to leave but will do so with no results.

I've seen reports of ISPs throttling P2P traffic which spotify uses for streaming. On the odd occasion when I get dropouts through my cable connection, I switch to 4G and, if that works flawlessly I assume that my ISP is having issues. Probably too simple an approach but at my age, simple is good 🙂

Yeah sometimes I will get an error about the connection. When I do get the error my connection is Solid. Just to note, I'm an IT consultant and run several large networks. So if anyone has

I am also a premium user and also experiencing the same pause problem for the last few weeks.
It's not a usable program for my purpose of playing non stop music for guests so unless its sorted i will cancel also.
I have no wifi or internet problems during the time of pausing.

Which ISP do you use?

@Kdcyp wrote:
I am also a premium user and also experiencing the same pause problem for the last few weeks.
It's not a usable program for my purpose of playing non stop music for guests so unless its sorted i will cancel also.
I have no wifi or internet problems during the time of pausing.

Is it stopping mid track or does it randomly stop at the end of a track & not start up again? 

I had this problem & after realising that it paused only on local tracks,  found a post suggesting that installing Quicktime might help. 

It worked for me - must add a codec that allows spotify to play tracks ripped by itunes or something like that.

But anyhoo, hope this helps!

Hi Paradox,
It stops mid track and unfortunately I am using iOS devices ie iPads, iPod touch and iPhone so QuickTime isn't applicable - presume you're using PC or Mac.
The most likely answer in this thread so far is that perhaps some ISPs are limiting traffic from certain p2p servers like spotify.
Next time it pauses I will try a different device and pc to see if they all pause.
If that's the case, I don't think the ISP would change their policies so I will have to leave spotify and find another music provider.

Thanks

@Kdcyp wrote:
Hi Paradox,
It stops mid track and unfortunately I am using iOS devices ie iPads, iPod touch and iPhone so QuickTime isn't applicable - presume you're using PC or Mac.
The most likely answer in this thread so far is that perhaps some ISPs are limiting traffic from certain p2p servers like spotify.
Next time it pauses I will try a different device and pc to see if they all pause.
If that's the case, I don't think the ISP would change their policies so I will have to leave spotify and find another music provider.

Thanks

Spotify mobile apps on iOS (and other platforms) aren't p2p, only the desktop client is so p2p rate limiting by your ISP should not effect the mobile apps. 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts