Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to install: error code 53

Solved!

Unable to install: error code 53

Hi

My work PC just got updated to Windows 7 Enterprise. I started installing all the needed programs including Spotify because I listen to a lot of music at work. However, I'm unable to install. I get this error message:

---------------------------
Spotify Installer
The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 53)
Retry Cancel

I tried hitting Retry a couple of times. It downloads the installer again and after a few moments I get the same error message again. I couldn't find anything on this error code on Google or Spotify FAQ/forums.

What do I do to make it work?

119 Replies

This doesnt work for me. Windows 8.1 - Cut Spotify folder from Roaming to User folder - folder is empty.  I only want to download so I can re-order the tracks in my playlist since apparently that is impossible to do from my phone or from the Web player...driving me crazy - This is the #1 reason I went premium and since it doesnt work I think I will cancel.

Fabulous!!!   Thank you.  

This worked perfectly for me. And yes, it's still an issue. Ha.

I don't get a start button. Help.

You shouldn't get a "Start" button to run the application. You will click the "Start" icon in the bottom left corner (Windows 7) to open up a search bar, then follow these instructions:

2) Click START and, in the search bar, type 'show hidden files'.

3) In the results, click on 'Show hidden files and folders' - This will open a  window. Verify that the 'Show hidden files' option is selected.

4) Navigate to:C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.

5) Right click the Spotify Folder and select the 'Cut' option.

6) Back out to C:\Users\<USERNAME> and paste the Spotify folder there.

7) Open the Spotify folder and locate the 'Spotify Launcher'. 

Without having the 'Show Hidden Files' selected, you cannot see the AppData and other folders you will need to go through to locate the Spotify folder.

Hope this helps clarify the process.

the offline option worked for me. thank you so much!

This would be a solution if the problem was that you could not open the application but the installation previously added the files to this directory in AppData. Seeing as how people are getting the error before the file writes this may not be a feasible solution. 

@jdmagic21 wrote:

This would be a solution if the problem was that you could not open the application but the installation previously added the files to this directory in AppData. Seeing as how people are getting the error before the file writes this may not be a feasible solution. 

In those cases, that is when you download the complete application using the offline installation I referred to. Some systems won't allow an online installation due to security settings, (usually blocked by group policy if you're at work). You can download the full application and run that installer instead.

For some reason the error code 53 problem is still live...

Looks like Spotify is installed in a different location to all other programmes i.e. look up your main list of programmes and Spotify is not there - it is installed somewhere else.

I keep getting two different versions of Spotify - probably in different locations...

When will it be sorted out?

P.S. Tidal appears in the right location...

This was it for me. Thanks!!

I have the same problem with Error Code 53 but I am blocked by the council for acess to the local disk. Can i fix it any other way?

I recall my problem was that Spotify puts itself into a weird folder and it
ended up with duplicate versions. Activate 'start' bottom left and search
'Spotify' to make sure only one version is loaded.
However you have limited access through work so you may need to speak
nicely to your IT person...
Good luck

This one, the "full setup" one, worked. Thank you

In Windows 8.1 I just dragged the Spotify folder from  C:/Users/myname/Appdata/Roaming folder into the C:/Users/myname folder.  Clicked on Spotify.exe and the program worked correctly.  I then right clicked on Spotify.exe and created a shortcut to the Spotify.exe file, dragged the shortcut to my desktop, and when I click it everything now works.  This was after getting prior error codes 53 and 17 and downloading the full Spotify program.   

Thank you!

credit to 'nicer21'

my pc: windows 10 / nvidia geforce gtx 1070 / avast / cryptoprevent

spotifysetup.exe (web installer) did not work

download spotifyfullsetup.exe
run spotifyfullsetup.exe
move entire spotify folder
    from C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify
    to C:\
restart pc
send C:\Spotify\SpotifyLauncher.exe to desktop (create shortcut)
run spotifylauncher.exe

*note: this is EXACTLY what i did and it worked. (no run as admin, no compatibility mode, no hardware accel off, etc.)

*note2: my first attempt of moving entire spotify folder from C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify to C:\Users\<USER> caused the 'black screen'/'blank screen' problem when i ran spotifylauncher.exe.

I don't understand how I'm meant to do this. I can't find what you're talking about

3/13/18.  I just finished with a Spotify support person. Turns out the problem DOES have to do with where Spotify installs their installer or Launcher.  Here is a transcript of what I was told to do... AND IT WORKED!!   PC Laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

1. Run installer normally. The install will fail with the 53 error. That's alright.

2. Click START and, in the search bar type "show hidden files."

3. In the results, click on "Show hidden files and folders." This will open a window. Verify that the "Show hidden file" option/button is selected.

4. Navigate to C:\users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.    NOTE: I had a few different user profiles so I had to go through a few users until I found the Spotify folder. But I did find it.

5. Right click on the Spotify folder and select "cut" option.  

6. Go back out to C:\Users\<username> and PASTE the Spotify folder there.

7. Open the Spotify folder and launch the "Spotify Launcher."  

This launches the full Spotify program, not the Web Player. Once I opened it and closed it a few times to verify that it was working, I created a shortcut to my desktop. Problem solved.

Good luck! 

Oh my gosh, this finally worked for me.  Thanks for posting that link.  YAY!  

I was unable to install Spotify when attempting to use the regular installer and moving the folder from my appdata folder. It worked immediately though when I downloaded the full installer. If you are having issues with an error 53 code then your organization is most likely blocking files from running from your appdata folder.

Suggested posts