Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

Solved!

Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

So the problem itself is pretty simple: Spotify will not play any local music files, radio, or any music at all. I can click on the song to play and it'll load the info in the bottom left, however the actual song timer/slider will sit at 00:00 and nothing seems to work as far as getting it to play.

Looking around it seems quite a few people are having this problem as well.

I've tried the usual disabling hardware accelerator and cross fading, neither worked.

I unistalled and did a fresh install, didn't work.

Any ideas or what information you need?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There seems to be a number of different issues here - I'll try and handle them all.

dylanmiles - Make sure that Spotify is running. Then go here:
Start > Control Panel > Sound / Adjust system volume

See if Spotify has its own volume channel in the Volume Mixer. If it does, see that the level is high, and that it's not muted.

For most other issues, are you running any Firewalls, or using an internet proxy at all?

If it's a firewall, try adding Spotify to it's "Allow" list. That might help.

Another thing you might want to try is ensuring that Quicktime is installed on your computer. Bizarrely, this appears to have worked in some cases.
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Most likely means that you don't have any older audio drivers to rollback to. You could try getting the latest drivers for your audio device.

Marked as solution

My issue was same as many others: Spotify loads just fine, plays the radio or song just fine by indicating in the bottom play bar it is running, BUT no sound!

To fix/solve my Spotify no sound problem I did the following: I went to Spotify support and they said to do a uninstall then reinstall, which I did, and now I have SOUND AGAIN!

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Marked as solution

Since I have a Mac Book Air what I did was click out of spotify, quit spotify, re-opened the app and it worked!! I hope this will work for others.

Marked as solution

This thread is 5 years old and they're still having this issue. IT'S PATHETIC!!! I was ready to support them with a premium account but they can't even get their act together long enough to sort a five year old issue what's the point. Even posting on this forum was a shore with a capta test that took 15 minutes to pass.

Marked as solution

Seriously. Why doesn't someone fix this stupid problem. Honestly, my friend kept trying to convince me to switch to Pandora, and I was like,"Nuh-uh, sweetheart, why don't you switch to Spotify?" Right now, I'm texting her ' **bleep**, I'm so sorry. I'm switching to Pandora RIGHT AFTER I'm done sending this complaint to this dumb company.' So, Spotify, honestly, good job.

97 Replies

Having the exact same problem.

My Spotify has been wonky for months. There has been all kinds of problems, but now it doesen't seem to work at all.

It freezes if i open Spotify, try to play a song, or it will work just fine until a change playlist that is.
When Spotify isn't freezing up, it won't play songs. It will load up, but not go anywhere from the beginning of the song. Sometimes i will get the sngs to play by jumping a bit in the song, but it still won't play the song that comes after.

What's going on? It's ben like this for months. No other application is making my PC freeze. I've restarted Spotify and my computer several times, but still it won't work.
I'm currently reinstalling Spotify, as it won't work at all anymore. Hopefully it will work some.

Spotify, fix it please?!

I am getting no sound, the track plays but is muted. The volume on spotify and my computer is turned up and works fine for everything but Spotify.

Yeap, this has been happening to me as long as i can remember. However, it only used to happen once a week (maybe even less). The last couple of weeks it has been happening a lot more (two times a day is not uncommon). Restarting spotify solves the problem for me so i doubt that it has to do anything with my connection.

On the mac forums people are complaining about the exact same thing. And if it isnt OS specific maybe the problem lies elsewhere? I've send a email to support to see if they're aware of the problem and if so, what they're planning to do about it. Ill post their answer as soon as they get back to me. 

Marked as solution

There seems to be a number of different issues here - I'll try and handle them all.

dylanmiles - Make sure that Spotify is running. Then go here:
Start > Control Panel > Sound / Adjust system volume

See if Spotify has its own volume channel in the Volume Mixer. If it does, see that the level is high, and that it's not muted.

For most other issues, are you running any Firewalls, or using an internet proxy at all?

If it's a firewall, try adding Spotify to it's "Allow" list. That might help.

Another thing you might want to try is ensuring that Quicktime is installed on your computer. Bizarrely, this appears to have worked in some cases.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Went to volume mixer. The volume level in the lower left corner is at max. All settings are max. The only sound im not getting is Spotify, all other sounds working fine WMP, itunes, internet ect. ect. Ive checked settings within my sound card,anti-virus settings,ect. ect.

Don't know if the previous solution was meant for everyone but just as a FYI just in case, all volume settings max, no firewall. Now no songs are playing. They never seem to start in spotify after I select them.

Cheers!

Any updates on this issue? Happened again just now. I'm not sure if there is a correlation but this time it happened after spotify had been paused for a while. Maybe that's something to look for?

EDIT: no answer from the support team yet.

Same exact problem.  It is not a volume issue at all....it simply does not PLAY.  Slide the bar.  Nothing.  go from 0.00 to 0.002, nothing.  It's like the "play" "button" is broken.  MADDENING.  Support of course, has not responded to me either.  Could SOMEONE HELP???!!!!!

@David, moderator: how would a firewall have any affect on offline mode?  Thanks.

And here I thought my sound card had went out, good to know but if this problem is frequent , I will go back to Pandora at least the music is always up and running.

If it were your sound card, Pandora wouldn't work either.  I WAS a big Spotify fan.

I'm having the same problem, the slider just sits there at 0:00 it's really annoying! Happens either instantly after pressing "Next" song button, or when spotify switches to a new song after a song is done.

This issue occurs around every 4th song (or worse) on offline/synced playlists.

Having the exact same problem!  Sits at  0.0, nothing plays and I"m paying the monthly premium for what??    However, the weird thing is it shows that I listed to the songs on FB.   NO I didn't.   Getting ready to cancel my subscription.

installing quicktime fixed the issue for me... thanks to the moderator for the input

Also got this problem, tried to reinstall, install quicktime, the mixer is right, allowed it in my anti virus.

It worked yesterday, so the firewall aint the problem.

SOLUTION:

Go to control panel then navigate your way to "device manager" OR type in "device manager" to the start menu search bar

Open device manager

Expand the "sound, video, and game controllers" section

Locate and Right Click your audio device (your speakers)

Select "properties"

Go into the "driver" tab

Click "rollback driver"

Restart your computer and you're good to go!

when i got to this the 'rollback driver' button was not highlighted and so i could not push it. what does that mean?

Marked as solution

Most likely means that you don't have any older audio drivers to rollback to. You could try getting the latest drivers for your audio device.

Suggested posts