Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 13

Solved!

error code 13

I'm trying to download it and right as it gets to the point of running the installer it says "the installer is unable to install Spotify because the necessary files could not be created (error code 13) I've tried everything I know how to do, apparently it's a Protocol issue, but I don't know. Someone help?

61 Replies

it worked, thx

Thanks a lot 🙏

I tried to reinstall spotify, but always get the error code 13 message. Basicly tried al suggestions on this site but nothing works. Anyone have an idea how to solve this. I can reach my accounct via the web version of spotify, but I paid for premium to be able to listen off-line!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Alexander

I had the same problem on win 10. Have you tried running the installer in XP compatibility mode?

It worked for me too! I then just chose the suggested options of configuration and it worked

this is it, thanks 

update on 20 jul 2016. spotify recently changed something and the fix using XP compatibility mode caused a black screen on Spotify. I then turned off the compatibility mode, and everything worked just fine. I was kind of surprised spotify finally decided to fix that problem, but a few days ago, spotify decided to upgrade itself without asking anything, and the install stalled. I then reactivated the XP compatibility mode, install ran fine, but I obviously got the black screen running the new and still disfunctionnal spotify. Luckily, turning off the compatibility mode did puteverything back in order. Thank you for wasting my time spotify, it's becoming worse than windows 10 around here.

it worked for me too! Thanks!

I have same issue and the installed here gave the same Error 13 result. 

I have the problem that i couldnt open spotify so i uninstalled it and i was doing to reinstall it but when i clicked on the launcher it said  Error 13 The Installer is unable to install spotify beacuse the neccessary file could not be created

I need Help 

Despite having tried everything suggested in this thread, I keep getting the same error code. I've changed the compatibility around, tried an administrator account and the alternative download which was posted here earlier, but nothing worked. I'm using Windows10, by the way.

in my case the problem was created by company policies restricintg access to the appdata folder. So for it to work, i created a symbolic link from appdata to documents so the files will be written in the Documents folder

CAREFUL: you need to be an administrator or this will not work

1) Delete the Spotify folder in the appdata/roaming folder

2) Create a folder named Spotify in the Documents folder

3) open a cmd as administrator and paste this

mklink /d %appdata%\Spotify %userprofile%\Documents\Spotify

4) run the installer, it should work now

Hope this helps

I found that my problem was that after successfully installing Spotify in Safe Mode I still didn't have access to AppData/Roaming or /Local in Normal Mode.

What helped me is to simply move (in Safe Mode) Spotify folder from Roaming on C drive anywhere to D drive. 

I think in my case Windows 10 changed something in permissions after one of regular updates.

Its still not working for me. It keeps saying error code 13 and that it doesn't have the nessacary files for it to start up. I have tried uninstalling it several times but it still isn't working. Please help me with this problem.

Thanks, 

Leoske.

Unfortunately, I get this 😞

C:\Windows\system32> mklink /d %appdata%\Spotify %userprofile%\Documents\Spotify mklink : The term 'mklink' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:1 + mklink /d %appdata%\Spotify %userprofile%\Documents\Spotify + ~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (mklink:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException PS C:\Windows\system32>

cmd /c mklink /d %appdata%\Spotify %userprofile%\Documents\Spotify - it worked, by Spotify is still trying to install in AppData

you are using powershell. try the command again in cmd

Yes, you are right. Thank you for prompt reply. However, there is still another problem, DPD:Win32.KME.based in Spotify.exe, described here - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/doctorweb/m-p/1968089#M194827

Don't know if it's a false detection or Spotify.exe is really infected somehow, but my antivirus keeps deleting Spotify.exe 😞

Using the mklink method worked for me after all the other attempts failed.  (I'm on a work computer with limited access to certain things.)  I suspect moving the created file to somewhere that I had full security might work too.  Thanks so much, SuperZampa!

I am also getting Error Code 13.  I have tried the recommended solution but I am still getting the same error.

I have the same problem but the installer is not werking either

Suggested posts