Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

thumbs down doesn't work

thumbs down doesn't work

So when I go to thumbs down a song, it does the "Improving Radio Station" but after a few songs, the very song I thumbs downed starts playing. 

Why does it not remember what I thumbs down? It's very annoying and makes me wish Apple's iTunes Radio was out as I'm sure they wouldn't have left such a bug to go unfixed..

Spotify version: 0.9.1.53

49 Replies

I too have this problem. I can't see why the track plays at all let alone within the next 4-5 songs.

I use Spotify as I workout and it's very very irritating to have to re-decline a song duriing the same workout and it throws me off my game. I have started compiling my own playlists so I can simply avoid the issue, but I feel the problem still needs to be addressed.

Thanks for looking into it for us  🙂

Mike

I just came to the forums to post about this exact issue.  I'm trying to 'train' a station to play songs I like, and it's pretty much just ignoring my Thumbs Down.  I'll mark a song as thumbs down and it'll pop back in (same song, same artist, same version, etc) 4-5 songs later.

What's up with that?

I was thinking that thumbs downing a track is only applied to that specific spotify URI so, if there are another 20 versions of the same track on Spotify, you may have to thumb down them all before the track stops showing up. Maybe search on the track title and see if there is more than one copy in the catalogue?

I cant see the point for paying for this if we are unable to raise this issue with any technical support. If free services work better than goodbye spotify. why do they think it is ok for this not to work?

This is a pretty fundamental functionaility so I will  probably have to cancel my subscription

You can raise it to technical support if you like, just drop them an email via the online contact form

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I don't understant why it would keep giving different versions of a song you obviously don't like though. If it can compile songs similar to the ones on the playlist that we'll enjoy, why can't they not suggest songs we obviously won't like? 

Oh you seem to have thumbs-downed 10 Drake songs. Why don't I play you some more Drake? Even the same song you don't like? Maybe it'll grow on you.

LOL, I totally agree. I gave up on the radio function a long time ago - it's not something Spotify does well just yet. But then I don't subscribe to spotify for the radio so I can live with it 🙂

What is the point of the thumb down, it doesn't stop the song from playing. In fact it even seems to make that song play more often.. Seems pointless at least it works on other player fix this please

I think i figured this out after struggling with it. By playing your thumbs down songs, or artists, Spotify can tell if you are engaged with Spotify at that moment. You are at your computer and have the interface up. They can track that you will unlike it again. Why? So they can guarantee to advertisers that X number of people will see their ad. It's quite genius. (I've thumbs downed every Billy Joel song on a certain channel and still I get Billy Joel every 15 songs or so.) Spotify is checking to see if I'm still available to click the thumbs down at the moment.

Overall, the radio feature doesn't work very well.  Its not what Spotify does, its an afterthought, really, a convenience more than anything.  Artist radio picks a lot of unrelated artists in my experience.  When I want radio, I use last.fm.  Its much better.

So is Spotify going to do anything about this for Premium users?  Why even have the thumb up and down buttons if they do not do anything?  Please improve the thumbs down button.  If you thumb it down on Premium, it should go away forever!

I'm letting the musik play in the background on my headphones while I'm working (yup, I'm a software devolper) and it feels like I've already disliked every 5th song that's playing. 

No matter how often I dislike the song, it will return shortly. It's like both the like and the dislike button have exactly the same same functionality, except that the thumbs up does make the thumbs down button appear darker.

No I'm reading here that this problem exists for at least a year.

This is telling me that Spotify doesn't care about this problem, or that they are not capable of integrating such a basic functionality.

So what reason is it?

This has been really frustrating for me as well. I agree with the user who posted a possible reason a few posts ago.

I think Spotify is just using us and our distaste for these songs to get them better advertising and interaction results.

I've thumbed down "Blood" by In This Moment probably 100 times on the same station.

Spotify, we're on to you, and we don't like it. Please listen to your users and provide a solution that works for them before they take their ears (and your advertising dollars) to another competitor.

@PeterD wrote:

I think i figured this out after struggling with it. By playing your thumbs down songs, or artists, Spotify can tell if you are engaged with Spotify at that moment. You are at your computer and have the interface up. They can track that you will unlike it again. Why? So they can guarantee to advertisers that X number of people will see their ad. It's quite genius. (I've thumbs downed every Billy Joel song on a certain channel and still I get Billy Joel every 15 songs or so.) Spotify is checking to see if I'm still available to click the thumbs down at the moment.

The idea the Spotify is not providing a basic Internet radio feature to improve their advertising profiles might make sense to some twisted marketing types, but the Spotify Android app ignores "thumbs down" responses from paying customers too.  Advertising isn't involved in my Spotify subscription.

I can't imagine including thumbs down functionality in the user interface and then ignoring it.  Worse yet is ignoring subsequent customer complaints about it.

________________________________________--

This has been really frustrating for me as well. I agree with the user who posted a possible reason a few posts ago.

I think Spotify is just using us and our distaste for these songs to get them better advertising and interaction results.

I've thumbed down "Blood" by In This Moment probably 100 times on the same station.

Spotify, we're on to you, and we don't like it. Please listen to your users and provide a solution that works for them before they take their ears (and your advertising dollars) to another competitor.

@PeterD wrote:

Yes, this is a huge problem!

All the time I get negative energy from bad songs, I want them out of my radio stream!

I'm getting the same issue...but I'm alsio getting it with thumbs up! (Although I suspect the problem is the same regardless)

I've noticed it is song specific though. The same songs will never register that I've given them a thumb up or down.

Thumbs up don't register on:

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot

Avenged Sevenfold - Seize the day

Avenged Sevenfold - So far away

Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife

Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the king

Bullet for my valentine - All these things I hate

System of a down - Toxicity

System of a down - Chop Suey!

Rise Against - Make it stop (September's Children)

Rise Against - Under the knife

Rise Against - Prayer of the refugee

Rise Against - Worth dying for

Rise Against - Give it all

Linkin Park - In the end

Linkin Park - Crawling

Linkin Park - Burn it down

Linkin Park - Breaking the habbit

Slipknot - Duality

Slipknot - Psychosocial

Slipknot - Before I forget

Stone Sour - Through Glass

Sick Puppies - You're going down

Three Days Grace - I hate everything about you

Haelstorm - I miss the misery

Haelstorm - Love bites [so do I]

Holywood Undead - Undead

Three days grace - Animal I have become

Otherwise - I don't apologise (1000 pictures)

Apocalyptica - Not strong enough

Volbeat - Still counting

Papa Roach - Last resort

Disturbed - Down with the sickness

Breaking Benjamin - Breath

Thumbs down doesn't register on

Avenged Sevenfold - Critical Acclaim

Crossfade - Cold

Pop Evil - Boss's daughter

Bullet for my valentine - Last fight

Soil - Breaking me down

What's the point of having thumb DOWN when it still doesn't work (as of July 2015.)  It really want me to switch back to Pandora where they respect my preferences.  

Yeah seriously I am at the point of frustration from having to constantly thumbs down songs I already thumbed down a few hours ago when I return to the radio station I was listening before. Whats the darn point of having a thumbs down if it doesnt do a darn thing! I am at the point that I want to cancel my subscription of $9.99 a month and switch to pandora. The thumbs up or down are useless and pointless untill they fix it! I really want to cancel my spotify if it doesnt get fixed and i really doubt it will from what i see this has been going on for well over 2 years!! over 2 years!!! Spotify programmers open your eyes and wake up! this problem is going to make you guys loose paying members like myself

Funny, two years later I'm still having this issue. But now that Radio function doesn't work on any of my devices.

Apple Music is looking tempting now.

Suggested posts