Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't add to the queue

Can't add to the queue

After loading the latest update (version 1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9), it cleared my queue and now won't let me add anything new to the queue. I've tried right clicking from my history, from new albums, anywhere. I can play music directly but can't seem to add anything new to the queue.

Any ideas?

80 Replies

If you look at the Queue, you have many songs in the "Queued tracks" section, right?

Please try the following.

1. Go to your Queue
  2. Click on a track-- Ctrl-A, DeleteKey.
  3. Now there are no tracks in the "Queued tracks" section, right?
  4. Now try to play that playlist again.
  5. The playlist played now without "going back to the Queue", right?

Does that solve the problem?

HEY SPOTIFY, YEAH YOU... GET OFF YOUR LAZY BUMS AND FIX THIS ALREADY!

@jayy, did you try Ctrl-A, DeleteKey after clicking on a TrackName in the Queue?

After that, play your playlist the way that you want-- for example, DoubleClick on the playlist name with the Shuffle button On.

Hello,

The problem is I don't want to play a album / playlist...

I know that if I am playing from a playlist and or album the queue will work just fine...

I just want to queue individual tracks without a playlist going or album.

This video explains it and has been sent to Spotify.

- And has been IGNORED!

Now it's time to make this video go from private to the public hands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ulQpYphm0

That's right Spotify Moderators... Now you have a VIDEO because you guys are so stupid posting on here acting like you need more information on how to duplicate this....

Since this video has been sent to your DEVELOPERS 3 MONTHS AGO, I REPEAT 3 MONTHS AGO.... THEY STILL HAVEN'T FIXED CRAP!

Soon I should just pull a Taylor Swift, pack my crap and say to you Spoitify that We are never ever ever getting back together!

@jayy, I applaud your MTV award-winning music video and serious demonstration of what the Spotify developers should do.  I completely agree.

But in the meantime-- because it will take a while for the developers to do what they should do-- you might try the following if you want to hear the great music in the fantastic Spotify catalog.

Try the following please.

* Install Spotify as you demonstrated-- or start from your 1.0.13 already installed.

* Play >> this track << displayed by dragging to the Ctrl-L, Search box of your 1.0.13 and Clicking Enter.  Ignore what is in the "NEXT TRACKS" section of your queue.

* Do your "Add to queue" routine that you demonstrated.

* Click NextTrack.

Good listening! -- until you can get the Spotify developers to do what they should do.  I vote for You!

In 1.0.12 I could at least work around this by playing a 0 track playlist, which would somehow cause all my invisibly queued stuff to magically appear and start playing.  (I didn't even want to bring this workaround up because I was sure it would disappear.)

Sure enough, they unfortunately "fixed" that in 1.0.13 and now I can't play my zero track playlist, so I'm stuck back where I was with 1.0.7.  Now I get to decide whether I want to downgrade to 1.0.6 or 1.0.12 - how exciting!

All I want is to be able to add a track to my queue, have it show up and be playable.  How can this be such a showstopper?  It seems like such a little thing to expect in an application for playing music.  (I mean, that's what I ASSUME it's for - maybe it's really for ads and social nonsense and I've just been using it wrong all this time and I really should learn my lesson.)

Hey everyone!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble queuing tracks.

So we can get all the details back to the right team, could you run us through each step you're taking on your end when the issue arises?

We'll be sure to get this passed on.

My problem with queuing tracks was resolved by uninstalling and then reinstalling Spotify. I was worried this would lose by playlists but it didn’t. Haven’t had any problems since.

(incidentally, the advice came via Spotify’s twitter account: I tweeted about the problem and got a response pretty quickly).

Hi Pete,

Please refer back to my response to Jason (which will refer you back to my response to Adam).  

I'm glad you all appear to be reading this thread and communicating with each other.  (That was sarcasm.  Sorry.)

After reading ade33's post, just for grins, I completely uninstalled Spotify and did a fresh install of 1.0.13 to see if I could start queueing tracks.  Unfortunately, it still didn't work.  

I decided to downgrade to 1.0.6 again.

When you first install 1.0.13 in Windows XP, Vista, or 8.1, you cannot add to the queue.

To reproduce the bug after you first install, @Pete, ensure that you do the following.

* Do not "play" any track or playlist.

* Merely try to "add to the queue"-- such as by Select some tracks, right click, "Add to queue".  Check your queue.  You will see that you cannot "Add to the queue".

* Of course, you might say, "What is wrong with playing a track just to fix the recurrent bug that you cannot Add to the queue?"  I agree.  

But I prefer some silence before I start to play what I put onto my queue.  I have a Playlist just to fix that recurrent bug in 1.0.13 -- a playlist I named "Clear_TheUnEditableQueue" that you can find in your Ctrl-L Search.  I merely start to "play" that "Clear_TheUnEditableQueue" playlist and Voilà!  You can add to your queue all you want, Now-- as long as you avoid all the other bugs in 1.0.13 that put 1.0.13 into a state where "You cannot add to the queue."  But I am keeping this simple to start-- Right, @CRZ@jayy, @LucyLuLuu,  . . . . . ?

Probably the best fix for this bug would be to make the queue open when you drag a selection onto the queue button-- then you could drag your selection to the position you want in your queue-- even to the top of your queue and release so that your selection drops into the position indicated by the heavy line-- just as Drag-and-drop works in every other civilized playlist and queue on earth.

The thing is it appears that these songs *are* ADDED to the queue....but for whatever reason, there is no update to what gets displayed - the visible queue doesn't update, we can't see it, we can't hit "Play" and start it because it LOOKS like it's empty, even though it is not.  And, in the past, there have been ways to trick Spotify into making the updated queue show up, but I'm not going to bother going into that because I don't want to distract you.

I'm not sure there's any other way to describe it or any more information I can provide.  Surely someone over there has been able to reproduce this by now so you can see it yourself and fix it?

And on all of my systems, that little trick of "playing" my playlist "Clear_TheUnEditableQueue" that you can find in your Ctrl-L Search serves as "a way to trick Spotify 1.0.13" into "making the updated queue show up".  Well said!  And I completely agree.

But that queue that "looks like it is empty when it is Not" is only the beginning of the whole nest of bugs in the 1.0.13 queue-- Would you agree?

What happens if you add 200 tracks to your 1.0.13 queue?

More bugs and Hidden and Truncated queues that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You can "Connect and Play" in the lower right of 1.0.13 to a running instance of 0.9.x to display the other almost half of your queue in that buggy 1.0.13 instance.

Why don't you just switch to >> 0.9.x and block updates? <<

Up to you.

Just a question because I am curious.

Very simple
I have my "queue f**ked up again* playlist.... which at this point is actually gathering my "play every damday" songs
You can put a collector in a virtual world & she'll still collect crap...... just virtual crap 😉
But it does the trick, jump starts the queue, it's almost habit now to just open, hit library, playlist, go......
Lot of steps tho, when playing song/queue is right at bottom of screen when queue is going

I don’t know if this will help, but here’s what worked for me (I have the latest version).

1) I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.
2) There are two kinds of queue: Next Tracks and Queued Tracks. Next Tracks are automatic and derive from whatever playlist you are listening to. You can’t change this list or its order UNLESS you click and drag tracks to the queue icon. These then become Queued Tracks and you can add to these from anywhere, including Next Tracks, until they are all played, when you will be back to the automatic Next Tracks list.
3) Only 50 tracks are visibly queued but you can still add more than this number to the queue. Numbers 51+ will eventually appear at the bottom of the list, one by one, as earlier tracks are played and move to history.

Good luck

Hey Spotify!

Guess what?

You still can't add to queue on (1.0.14.124.g4dfabc51) you keep releasing updates but are not fixing a $%^^ing thing.

Yes! I'm still pissed. Yes! I will continue to FIGHT for queue to work like it should.

If your developers can't fix the program then fire your current developers and hire new ones.

This issue has gone on long enough.  It seems you guys are more worried about improving the social media features of Spotify, vs the program which is supposed to be about MUSIC, etc!

I'm not using Spotify to see who is following who and or who is listening to what and honestly I could care less about all that @#%^.

So I will keep adding my 2 cents on every update until this is FIXED and so far it isn't... I'm just one voice and you know I don't care I have the balls to speak out if you're getting a paycheck from me I have every right to tell you how I really FEEL ABOUT YOUR CRAPPY DEVELOPERS.

I installed 1.0.15.133.gf21970bd - no change to my earlier report.

My new workaround is to go to my "History" and click on a PLAY button - this starts music AND makes all my invisible, previously queued "queued tracks"  show up.  Not ideal but it keeps me from having to queue up a playlist.  (Note: This workaround assumes you managed to have something in your History list)

I sure hope a moderator chimes in and asks me how to reproduce this issue!

So this has been going on for something like 8 months.  It started with the queue not updating, and then got to the point where if your queue is empty you can't add anything.  From the point of view of a software developer, it appears that the application has some sort of updateQueue method, which should be extremely fast as we are only dealing with a list of a few hundred items.  This method isn't being called very often, at this point it only appears to be called when a song completes, which when the queue is empty never happens.  You can see this by moving around or deleting tracks from your queue, the UI doesn't change.  If you do more than one operation you get unexpected results, like if you delete the top track, nothing happens,  so you do it again, selecting the same track, when the song switches two tracks are deleted.  Again this  seems to me that the "updateQueue" method is not happening when an operation is done.  

This should be dead simple to fix (fire off this method when any queue operation is done, or if that is too hard have a thread do it once a second, it shouldn't be an expensive operation), but probably Spotify doesn't want us to use the queue like this for business reasons, so they are hiding behind this "bug".  

As for playlists with a song, or empty songs or what have you.  Yes it is a work around, and I can delete the song once the queue has started, but really that sucks.

The problem continues...err...thinking of quitting the membership

I think it's more the menu isn't working, I was trying to remove some old music and I'd go to remove it and nothing would happen

Suggested posts