Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play certain songs anymore

Solved!

Can't play certain songs anymore

About 2 days ago I noticed that alot of the songs in my playlists and songs in other peoples playlists seem to be removed. I can't play them anymore even though I have Spotify Unlimited. Does anybody have an idea as to what the problem might be? The song title that used to be "white" is now grey and it says "this song is not available anymore" but a few days ago I didn't have a problem playing them.
72 Replies

I think it got messed up after I did the deduplicatior 

Hello, I'm having a similar problem where some of the songs on my playlist just wont play. The artwork will load in the lower left and everything, but the progress bar doesn't show up  and the song won't play. Sometimes I have to tab to spotify and play a few different songs and then the one that wasn't working will play, and sometimes the song just won't play at all. I have all of the songs locally, but some of those that aren't playing are also in Spotify's streaming library which is pretty lame. Is there anyway I can ensure that all of the songs I have will play?

Ok it just happened, heres a screenshot to show what I mean: 

http://i.imgur.com/Gqvhi6A.png

In this case I just had to double click the song above yahtbmf and then click yahtbmf again and it worked, but sometimes the song will just refuse to play.

I just noticed that I was having this issue with Corrosion of Conformity's "America's volume dealer". I updated my app and now only two songs on the album are available.

@bigtal

I just noticed that I was having this issue with Corrosion of Conformity's "America's volume dealer". I updated my app and now only two songs on the album are available. 

As you likely know, Spotify is ~20% owned by four major Hollywood record labels. I would expect that in the future, the only music available on Spotify will be from these labels.

I've noticed a gradual deletion of music in my playlists over time. Basically Spotify is slowly deleting non-Hollywood music from its catalog.

@AbsolutelyNoFB wrote:

@bigtal

As you likely know, Spotify is ~20% owned by four major Hollywood record labels. I would expect that in the future, the only music available on Spotify will be from these labels.

I've noticed a gradual deletion of music in my playlists over time. Basically Spotify is slowly deleting non-Hollywood music from its catalog.

Do you have any hard proof of that (deleting on non-Hollywood music)? 

Spotify upload any content they have been given by record labels to stream, as far as I am aware "Spotify" as a company don't remove (or even edit) any tracks which are uploaded. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

AbsolutelyNoFB - No we're not. The catalogue is actually growing incredibly quickly.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Peter

Proof? I can look at my playlists and see most, if not all, of the music that has been deleted from the Spotify catalog is not from the big four Hollywood labels that own ~20% of Spotify.

Obviously as Spotify doesn't regularly publish its complete catalog, I can offer no more "proof" than my own experience.

@Sam

I find this assertion that Spotify's catalog is growing at some fantastical rate to be quite mythical.  In order to make such a claim, Spotify should regularly publish their entire music catalog, for each region. If this were done every month, or every quarter, we could see what music got added and what music got deleted.

Until there is some history of published catalogs that have been verified for accuracy, I don't think Spotify should be making any sort of claims about what is or isn't going on with their catalog.

As I said elsewhere, when Spotify deletes old music, they are essentially nothing more than a music advertising service, not a music listening service. A proper music listening service would not be deleting music that its customers love and want to listen to.

Currently, there are over 20 million tracks licensed globally. That would take quite a document to publish. Would you really go through and read that entire list?
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Sam

I would not page through it, no. Rather, I would write a computer program to do it and output some useful reports, i.e. what's new over a time period, what's been deleted over a time period, average number of songs available per artist over time, average number of albums available per artist over time, various maximums and minimums, etc.

Would you count the number of new tracks added? 😉
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi, I am also having the same problem. I had to reset my phone and restore all the apps that i had on there as i had a virus on there. Since resetting my phone and re- installing spotify, i have found that there are certain tracks that " are no longer available" and im not sure why this is. The tracks still play on my PC but not on my android phone. I am a premium member and i assume that they are the right format as they played an hour ago before i reset my phone but not now! Any help would be gratefully welcomed

I have similar problems now with "Uprising" by Muse - the whole album is available, but not this song, and it was available.

Can you help me with that?

Best,

KM

Is it greyed-out? Do you get an error message when you try to play it?

I found the problem. I had this song linked with an mp3 file on my PC. And this file was not working. I disconnected the song from the file and it works.

Best,

KM

I just want to know why I can't play some of my favourite songs anymore. Three days ago I was playing it fine, but now three songs that are all by different artists won't play and it's quite annoying. If you can't fix it, that's not too bad but I would at least like to know why it's doing it.

@aubreydl - Do you get any error messages at all?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

comatose by skillet is one of the songs that is like this.  It shows it in my music, but it is gray and it won't let me play it

I am having an issue with some songs from Artists like Grand Buffet and Pavi with Tropicalia.   They were in my lists.  Now they are not.  If I log on through my web interface, it shows them in my playlists, but won't play them.

Ok so I was trying to listen to the soundtrack to Aladdin. I noticed the two songs that are grayed out are the ones Robin Williams sing. I noticed rhapsody did the same thing. What gives? Is this a license issue with the Williams estate or label? Only way for me to listen to it is by buying the cd.

Suggested posts