Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

still getting this problem with windows 10 spotify i tried unchecking high quality stream and local files but its still happening and even when it did work last night it start getting static when i was playing music

2016 - WINDOWS 10 . totally worked . TY

My Spotify stopped playing the songs before I restarted it for the update. It seemed to jam everything else too that used internet(?), so I checked the local songs and HQ options off and everything works like it should.

Thank you so much! 🙂

Marked as solution

I had the same issue "Can't play current track" Error message.

I tried the following

• Switched off high qulaity streaming
  • Uninstal re-instal spotify
  • Clearing the spotify cache
  • installing older version of spotify
  • deleting connections to local library
  • turning off hardware acceleration

all without success. Many hours scanning through this community. 

I did find  my problem. It was the audio driver on my HP computer. It had a tab marked "enhancements" I disabled all of the enhancements and everythng was working again.

So if you have tried all of the above, and still have issues have a look at the settings on your computers audio driver.

Thanks bro/sis searching the internet for a week for a solution you gave in 4 words. You saved my ass!

high quality streaming is off but for some reason i get a glitching message saying "cant play current track" and it just skips through all the songs in my playlist...

Marked as solution

There's a fair few reports of people seeing the error message "Can't play the current track".

This can be confusing because the message can pop up in a number of instances.

Here are the reasons for the message, and the troubleshooting that can be tried:

1. Playback fails to start on all tracks (PC and Mac).
  2. Playback fails on local files.
  3. Playback fails on some, but not all non-local files.
  4. Playback stops mid-song (PC only).
  5. Playback fails, and all tracks skip through to the end of a playlist with no audio (PC only).

For all instances, the first thing to try is a reinstall. This often helps the error go away.

For 2 and 3, you can try removing all local file sources, then add them again.

To do this in-app:

• Click Edit (PC) or Spotify (Mac).
  • Select Preferences.
  • Scroll down to Local Files.
  • Deselect all sources.
  • Close, and restart the app.
  • Select all local file sources once again.

For instance 5, try out this suggestion in your PC's settings. 

I've tried deselecting local files, unchecking HQ streaming, and a full reinstall. I still get the Can't Play Current Track error. Help!

Is it just for one track or any track?

I get this error when I have a poor wi-fi connection. I usually go to another track and then come back to the song to try again.
Marked as solution

Oh Boy...!
You saved my life.
This is exactly what happened to me and your advice helped fix it.
Thanks a stack!
Marked as solution

@morgybabe thank you! Would mind clicking accept as solution on the post too, helps with moving up the ranks 😉

Also, don't forget this is also a generic error that can occur when a track in a playlist is no longer available on Spotify in your region, or possibly every region. This can be confirmed by clicking on the album title and seeing whether that track is greyed out or not.  This happens regularly in my playlists.  Rather than the track getting greyed out in the playlist, it appears as normal and begins to play a few seconds, then stops and skips to the next track while producing this error.

In this case it seems it is the same error as "Track not available" discussed here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Track-not-available/m-p/863647#M9352... but instead displays this generic error message.

solved! Thank you

Hi, same problem on here with all of my playlists. It's not that the tracks are unavailable as its a Spotify UK playlist.

Tried the local files solution. Tried reinstalling twice, restarting, signing in and out. It's very frustrating and about the fifth time it's happened.

Feeling like I should be finding a better service at the moment which is a shame as Spotify when it works is great.

I have a stable Wifi connection, using Windows 10 and all of my hardware is up to date from last check (about a week ago).

I am a premium member.

Please help.

Thanks Billbee you've saved me a lot of time and frustrtation with your fix. I had exactly the same problem.  Was all working fine up until yesterday when I got the dreaded "Can't play current track" error message when I tried to play any track. So I unticked "enhancements" in my audio settings on my HP computer and now everything's playing as normal before. 

This solution worked for me. Perhaps Spotify was searching for local files that were no longer there?

Marked as solution

I was having the same problem getting can't play current track, and songs were moving randomly.  I followed your advice with Option 5 and it fixed the problem.  Thanks!

still having the "cannot play current song" problem. ive tried unchecking the local files, logging out, and just turning off my computer but its still not working. I have really good wifi and my playlist is downloaded. i pay for premium and this just gets so frustrating

I've solved the problem by unchecking local files, and rechecking them.

I am also getting this error message all the time. The solutions here with reinstalling, unchecking rechecking, etc. does not help at all. In generell spotify is very slow. Especially after startup nothing works. I cant search, etc.... Takes about 30 minutes till it works better but not flawlessly. Very frustrating. And i have this problem with different PCs on different WiFis/networks. Spotify in generell seem to have an infrastructure problem or whatever. They don't care about their paying users.

Suggested posts