Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

If you're using W10, one of my reasons for that can't play message was due to Windows Update. My line is only 1Mbps and Windows Update seemed to have gobbled up everything, and having me only to make do with browsing as a result. Even then browsing was still problematic - either non-responding or, at best, the graphics were not loaded up. So running Spotify concurrently is out of question in my case, short of aborting Windows Update of course.

If your PC is connected by hardwire to your router the flickering lights at the back, inspite of the can't play messge, should already prompt you as to where the problem is. You can monitor your network traffic if you login to GUI of your router to see how much is Windows Update gobbling up your precious bandwith.

As of now after more than 5 hours. Windows Update is still running. That should give you an idea how big is this particular update. At times I do feel that Microsoft is absurd since this is not the first time I'm getting the can't play message.

As someone else has mentioned, I too had that can't play message due to forgetting to reset my audio devices to its normal state after connecting my PC to the DAC of my stereo system.  

Hello,

Many of you are complaing that this issue is happening at work. I recently got a new work laptop and docking station and started having the "Cannot play current track" issue repeatedly after never having it on my previous laptop/docking station. After trying all the posted solutions i moved my aux speaker cord from the docking station directly into the laptop microphone jack and the problem went away entirely. It's a bit of a pain when your grab your laptop to go to a meeting (one more plug to take off) but way better since I rarely got through 2 songs w/o having to restart the desktop app. Worth a try for others?

Suggested posts