Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

Cancelled my subscription due to the lack of explicit filter.  I have kids and I simply can't use Spotify without this feature!

For the love of all that is musical can we please have the option to listen to a playlist without swearing?  I cannot understand why this isn't an option yet, the OP was from 2012!!! 

I can go on to almost any other website and there is a safe filter so why not on here? More and more playlists contain explicit songs and I'm fed up with it.  I've been a premium member for a couple of years and would happily pay for the option to listen to the music I choose to.  Oh wait, isn't that what Spotify is all about?  Apparently not. Get a move on Spotify.

I wonder if Spotify thinks that it's OK to have aweful filth ridden songs on playlists, do they also think it's OK to same thing on their message boards?  Lets try!

Yo, this **bleep** gonna **bleep** some whores tonight, gonna make em suck **bleep** tonight, like **bleep** yeah, **bleep** their asses tight.

Do you really want your kids hearing that lyric on the Pop radio on Spotify? Really, you think this is OK Spotify???? WTF!

What the F U C K Spotify thinks it's OK to censor my post but not OK to have a filter option!!   F U C K

There must be a lawyer reading this thread..... can we not use the legal system to force this?

After 2 years waiting for this feature, I've cancelled my subscription. For those of you interested in doing the same - here's a link that outlines which music services are best for kids with a section to show you which services allow you to filter out songs with explicit lyrics https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/which-music-streaming-service-is-best-for-kids

I did the same!  All who canceled because of this crucial missing feature please reply and state so.

Hi,

I agree with Jts. I too am a real fan of the idea of an explicit filter. Either an option to filter out all explict tracks in Account settings like attached image 1, or as an option to be able to filter per playlist on an adhoc basis. See image 2. Its surely easy-peasy to action. Get your techy guys on it today please Spotify. Then my kids can listen to music on weekends without hearing expletives. 

SettingsFilter.jpg
ExplicitFilterOn.jpg
ExplicitFilterOff.jpg

Just yet another adding my voice to this.  Sad that this isn't an option yet.  I too have a kid that I don't want to hear explicit versions of songs, and I often have friends and family around.  I won't play Spotify music at those times.  So I go to other places where I know the music played is safe for all ears.  Spotify, I'm disappointed that this is still a concern for your community.

still nothing? I read through 9 pages of the same complaints and just skipped to the most recent one. Still no change? Wow.

I have been stuggling with this for a few months now as my kids are old enough that I find I can't play songs many times when they are around as I get "surprised" with explicit language and they pick up on it.  Wanted to get feedback in that I am probably going to have to switch over to Apple Music as they are now on my Sonos sytem as well---and only for this reason.  Sorry Spotify, I would have stayed.

This is insane.
I chose "Chiil/Pop" to play at work and way too many songs have swear words.
Bad swear words.
It's dumb.

Come On!!! Seriously? This should take no time at all. What % of user don't want or aren't able to play explicit songs? I want to open an account for my kids but this basic filter option isn't available. With so much competition in this market, why wouldn't Spotify implement it... Work, school, families, accounts for children, businesses... So many potential customers that would benefit from this feature.

Not having this feature is keeping me from upgrading to a family premium account. Instead, I'm setting my kids up with a different service.

I don't understand how this is not a thing. Pandora does this. Google Play Music does this. iTunes music attempts this. 

Spotify already knows which songs are explicit, to tag them as such. 

All your competing services have at least made an attempt at it! 

Seriously this is ridiculous spotify. Disgusting to see the way you treat this simple request from your customers. I won't cancel my subscription right away but will now begin to browse over and see what the other music providers offer. How dissapointing.

I agree. It’s like they don’t even read their own community blog or care enough to respond.

Clearly this topic needs to earn more “kudos” before they take notice.

I would really like to see a explicit lyrics filter implemented. Personally, I don't like listening to explicit lyrics when I'm working at my computer and I don't want my children to overhear vulgar language.

I have been waiting for this feature since 2013, still no response... Its not that complicated everything now and days are automated.

Suggested posts