Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

I just canceled my subscription. I was playing a playlist that didn't seem to have any Explicit Labels, but several bad words came out, and I got in trouble with my company. I need clean playlists. Obvioulsy this comany doesn't care. So I'm moving on.

Good for you Mike. I just sent you my email address to get on your list.

Frank

You can sign-up for a free beta here: http://designful.ca/apps/spotify-playlist-manager/

Thanks for your effort, that is great. But I am not going to give Spotify my money as they have obviously intentionally chosen to be an anti-family company. Therefore I will take my businees elsewhere. Good luck with your app though.

Nice, Spotify will censor my comments, but not their music.  Hypocrites.  (For contex, multiple attempts at a meaningful reply have been deleted.)

One more try, without the link.  Google "Spotify rejects my app".

I've just cancelled my subscription as well. I really appreciate the efforts people are making to develop apps/workarounds etc, but for me this is not the point. The company themselves should be offering this and since they won't I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Why is this feature still missing?

Exactly! I don't understand why this is such a hard thing to do! Everyone else has the explicit content feature to turn off! I was to stream music through Spotify for my work and I'm not able to. I can't even subscrib to premium.

Wow... 5 years and this thread is still being ignored.

I've been looking at the family plan, but I just can't have my 5 year old daughter singing songs at school with '**bleep**' and '**bleep**' in! She wouldn't understand that these words are taboo or would offend people. So until this simple filter is available we won't be paying!
Now lets see if Spotify censor my words??

The irony,... I didn't put **bleep**
I'm sure that someone could start a kickstarter campaign to fund a solicitor to look at the legalities of how the same organisation can censor my words but not a musicians words!!
We are essentially asking for a filter, even if it was only on paid accounts, or even better for Spotify... we could set an age in each users' account on free subscriptions - allowing them to advertise to my 5 year old girl, barbie dolls and such like... crazy!!

Speak with your wallet....I moved off Spotify 3 years ago. A company called AOL had the same arrogance a number of years ago. Look where they are now.

I cannot use this app to srtream music in my car because my kid is usually there with me. So, I will not be subscribing to the payed service. 

Instead, I will have to settle down for the lower audio quality of Pandora's payed subscription. 

I really like the content I can find on Spotify, but need it to have "Explicit" filter. Without it this app is worthless.

I refuse to sit infront of the computer and create playlists manually or monitor the station!!! My time is worth more to me than the value this app provides in it's current form.

Pandora, my $$ are coming over.. 

I just got myself added to my kid's family plan and the first thing I ran into was songs with explicit lyrics.  How can I tell my kids not to listen to this garbage when I can't even turn it off myself?  Now that I know these can't be filtered, I might have to take away the family's spotify.

Is there an official position on why spotify won't add this trivial feature?  Does it cost them less to play songs with explicit lyrics?  Does there agreement with the artists prevent filtering?  What's the deal?

This is there solution -
https://support.spotify.com/us/article/Content-censor/

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Why do they call it censorship? I still don't get this. The term 'Censorship' refers to suppression by someone with the power of distribution, it does NOT refer to a consumer wanting to be able to choose the type of content they're being offered. According to the logic employed by Spotify using film or TV ratings would also be censorship and we should all just 'get over it'. Glad they're not in charge of the content on the TV channels my kids watch.

I don't know why this isn't an option and I'm so glad that I'm not the only person that would like to see this. 

I think Spotify is missing the point here. By providing the option for its customers to prevent / aviod explicit songs being played they are not censoring the artist. It is the artist and the customer that is making the choice. The artist chooses to limit the appeal of their songs, the customers chooses not to listen to the artists music. Spotify is just the interface that enables these things to happen. As such Spotify should allow its customers to make this choice. Spotify may then find it attracts more customers.

Suggested posts