Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Equalizer mac

Equalizer mac

Hi there! i´am trying to equalize my mac and i cant find any program fot it. Could anyone help me with this? i know there are some windows software for it (equalice spotify), but does exist any for mac?

thanks!

40 Replies

I can't believe it ! There are lots of other references and links on this thread, and I guess everywhere on this forum !

Ok, I leave the hypocrites amongst themselves. I have nothing more to do around here.

Ciao !

Here's my two cents, as I am interested in having quality EQ in my rig, and I thought, 'why not try digital first?' So, I just checked out out Hear, Boom, and DPS. They are all junk, in my opinion.

I am streaming Spotify using OS X Mountain Lion AIrplay (which sounds better than Airfoil, which I was using before, by the way) to an Apple TV, which I have connected via Toslink cable to a high quality DAC/ tube preamp, which feeds a good solid state power amp, which in turn powers very high quality (I hate the term 'audiophile') speakers that produce excellent frequency response from 30 Hz - 20 kHz. All this to say that I hear every little change in the signal, and the quality of the signal using no eq plugin is pretty good. Could be better I'm sure, but hey.

Point is, with these EQ plugins, the signal is audibly degraded even with no EQ applied, simply with the plugins active. (Boom and the AU/Soundflower trick don't apply here in my case, as neither seem to work with Airplay).

The iTunes EQ is pretty decent. 

This is awesome - thank you!!

I did this myself tonight, and thought there should be an easy to follow tutorial video for this sort of thing... but I didn't find one.  So I made one.  Hopefully this helps some people out (best viewed in 1080p at full screen size):

http://youtu.be/WLuYLPhGTIo

Most righteous, my man! Giving this a go.

Also posting it to Audiocircle, might be handy for that crowd. 

Is that your computer fan that can heard in the video?

Cool, thanks for sharing it glad I could help.

And no, that's actually my A/C coming on.  It's really not THAT loud, but for some reason the built in mic on my retina was picking it up pretty loud.

I used to have a headset that made better quality recordings but my dog chewed it up and I haven't picked up another one yet. Ha!

Thanks monking for the hint.  Audio Hijack has been a great solution for me.  I use the graphic EQ and/or the parametric equaliser (at around ~5KHz to remove some annoying sibilance I get on my system) depending on the recording.  While it is true that it just gives access to the Apple built-in Audio Units, it is low hassle and has capacity for other/multiple plug-ins like VST and 4FX and many other things besides. But is does cost money...

I tried this one and it's an accurate equalizer.

Here's a link to show you how to do it:

http://www.dctrwatson.com/2011/06/os-x-system-equalizer/

So, if they are putting an EQ on the mobile apps, does this mean one is coming for Mac????

😄

long overdue but appreciated

I remain hopeful that Spotify will bring this no-brainer feature online for desktop users. 

Still no Equalizer for the Mac Desktop app? WHY!?!?!?

Spotify even added an equalizer to the iOS App!

Gennis95

remember if you are installing the soundflower workaround to use the appropriate version of soundflower for your version of osx. there are many dos and dont do regaridng the version.... but after all: adding a .au compatible (or at its best a .vst compatible one) plugin manager for osx would be a great thing and easy to do ...

love to see that in spotify for osx (love the warm sound from my tubeamp/soundflower/au setup)

best ever equalizer

thank u so much fot your great job

Why is there not an Equalizer in Spotify for mac yet? Surely they've made enough money to invest a couple thousand into integrating an EQ. Seriously unimpressive.

UP,still waiting

Don't. Just don't install anything from someone's Dropbox link, as the previous post is suggesting. Even an equalizer app, or whatever it pretends to be.

Just saw this. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Allows per-app control.

https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

Used eqmac on my last machine. It was decent

If you have different outputs no can do.So useless.You can controll only one output at time.I need to controll 3 outputs.

I played with the Soundflower solution a year ago and it never worked on my iMac. Now via this thread found eqMac2. It installed simply and needed no extras except some drivers it installs for you. It's doing a good job of sharpening up the dull sound of the iMacs built in speakers, great for speech on streaming video and good for casual music listening too.

Real sound purists with extreme gear should probably avoid adding an extra EQ processing step at the Mac side though.

Suggested posts