Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fluctuating volume levels during a track

Solved!

Fluctuating volume levels during a track

'Ello.

Has anyone else ever experienced the volume levels changing during a song? The only way I can describe it is it feels like someone's playing with the volume, lowering it for half a second before returning it to it's previous level.

It only does it on a handful of tracks, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this? Could it be an earphone/headphone problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rich

---

Twitter: @RichArrowsmith

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! 🙂 

Can you try disabling "Set same volume level for all tracks" and "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in the Edit > Preferences menu and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had the same problem with my HP notebook. The laptop has dts Studio Sound installed which apparently messes with the sound, applies all sort of dynamic range compression and whatnot. The easy solution was to disable the "audio improvement" on the loudness tab in that application which idles around in the task bar.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! 🙂 

Can you try disabling "Set same volume level for all tracks" and "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in the Edit > Preferences menu and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter

If anyone else had asked, Peter, I'd have said no. But for you...

I'll let you know how it goes! Appreciate the help,

Rich

---

Well blow me down and call me Marjorie. It only bloody worked.

Thanks a lot sir.

Rich

---

No worries my friend! Enjoy! 😄

Peter

Peter

I have tried these things and it is still fluctuating for me.

I have also tried the above..no success...

The Volume Fluctuating Issue is MOST ANNOYING!

I have a windows 8 PC and this issue is really stuffing-up my Spotify experience.

There appears to be very little solutions offered, I have tried a clean reinstall, I have tried disabling and enabling the

settings recommended in the preferences...no success.

Can anyone please offer a solution???

It would be much appreciated, Spotify is totes awesome and i'm really hating this issue...

Cheers.

The volume levels are still fluctuating for me.

I have "set the same volume level for all tracks" disabled, and i have hardware acceleration disabled.  The volume level on every single song still fluctuates.

It only happens on my Windows 7 64 bit PC, not on my iPhone 4s.  And it only started happening once I reinstalled Windows on a new hard drive and reinstalled Spotify.

I can't listen to Spotify like this.  It's unbearable.  PLEASE HELP! 😞

Posted by David a couple of years ago

Try going to the following - Control Panel > Sound > Communications - And taking a look at the check boxes here. There should be one that says "Do not adjust volume" or "Do nothing - Ensure that this is ticked. Hopefully this should stop the volume from messing around!

This worked for me

I have Windows 8.1 and this only happens with Spotify, not Songza, Amazon Cloud Player, or Pandora. It started happening just in the last week and I have no membory of downloading any new software. 

I've played with disabling/enabling on Spotify:

- View > Hardware Acceleration

- Properties> Music Quality> High Quality Streaming

- Advanced Settigns> Crossfade tracks

- Advanced Settigns> Set the same volume level for all tracks

On my PC's Sound settings I checked "Do nothing" in Communications and I tried different options with Beats, which was included with my laptop.

Sound does NOT fluctuate using the app on my phone, so I can only assume it's either my PC or the PC application.

I believe I've tried everything listed in this topic, but posting again in a last ditch effort before I have to end my subscription 😞

Hilariously enough, I fixed my problem by using the web app (https://play.spotify.com) instead of the desktop app. FIXED!

@haziekat

Hello:

If I remember correct Spotify does not play well with Beats. That is shocker being Beats started a streaming service that was eventually bought out by Apple.

Anyway can you try and temporarily disable Beats and then see if Spotify runs correctly?

Didn't help to turn off Beats 😞 
Thanks though!

Pretty sure Spotify is being hacked as the variying volume issue randomly occurs.  It isn't a setting on the local client or anything to do with auto volume adjustments.  The audiosource is simply turning down and will pause a random bit of time and then turn up and pause a random bit of time.  This radomly happens.. some days it does not, some days its un-usable.  The EXACT same thing happens when you use Spotify Connect and turn down the volume from a different device.  This is the same behavior however some ghost of a geek is traversing through Spotify's streams and having a good ol time manipulating the volumes.  This will soon end my spotify relationship however 😞

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Volume-changes-up-and-down-during-al...

I extrapolated a solution to my issue from that post, after months of irritation.  I immediately noticed a drastic reduction in volume, but it's been consistently lower rather than swaying up and down.  The instructions in the link inside that link aren't accurate, but if you open your control panel, sound, select your device (for me it was my "Communication Headphones" which was the only place I can use spotify at work), go to advanced, and uncheck the box for "Enable audio enchancements" near the bottom.  Click ok a few times to get out of the windows and there you have it.  I've not had a volume slide since.

8-10-2015 9-13-04 AM.jpg

This didnt work for me, or rather, I dont have that option. I only notice my audio fluctuating when Im playing video games. Normally it occurs when the game is loading, e.g. Smite, Warframe. Recently though, Ive gotten back into Minecraft, and it seems to happen constantly there, and it seems to be based on the audio output of the game (at least for minecraft). Doors especially trigger the effect almost every time, possibly due to the sudden and loud noise they make.

That's correct. The default setting adjusts volume based on other audio
events. There are solutions to that one elsewhere, but it wasn't working
for me. I think my issue was somewhat "unique", but wanted to share what
worked for me regardless.

I also experienced this fluctuating volume issue.

I run spotify on an Asus laptop with Realtek HD audio manager integrated on multiple sound systems.

The only one which got me this issue is a LS-B40 Soundbar from ONKYO.

It works well on Bluetooth, but there is troubles when connected with a jack.

I activated Loudness is Realtek HD manager, and noticed a huge change, but there was still fluctuating when music gets in low dynamics.

I set the source volume (laptop) on a high value and decreased the Soundbar volume, and it works perfectly now.

It could be a low signal related issue, the fact is this issue should be audio related, but its only on Spotity

Hope, this could have helped anyone.

PS : Spotify Hardware acceleration is on, and SRS Premium optimization is off.

Regards,

Boris

Marked as solution

I had the same problem with my HP notebook. The laptop has dts Studio Sound installed which apparently messes with the sound, applies all sort of dynamic range compression and whatnot. The easy solution was to disable the "audio improvement" on the loudness tab in that application which idles around in the task bar.

try going control panel>sound>communication and press the one where it says " do nothing "

Suggested posts