Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Solved!

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

You'll find a list of everything that's changed in the app in our release notes hereAnd we'll be keeping this post updated with the changes we're making, along with where you can give us further feedback.

What we've changed:

1. The app should be a lot quicker now. So if you were affected by any slow behaviour previously, this shouldn't be an issue any more.

2. Clicking anywhere in the Now Playing box, rather than just the album art, will bring you straight to the song. This was reported here.

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed -

i. Bring back the old activity feed

ii. The Favourites feature

iii.Greater control of content in the feed: 

3. Bring back the total playlst length:

4. Filter option on artist pages

5. Go back to the old artist layout 

6. Ability to view all Facebook friends in the Follow tab:

7. View all playlist followers

8. Block/Remove followers 

9. Separate artists and friends

10. Remove 'who to follow'

11. Revert the font back to the original size (or provide an option to do so)

12. Restore 'View as Album List'

Thanks for all your support. We appreciate that there are a lot of changes going on at the moment and it can be a bumpy road at times. But we're confident that you'll like where we're going.

All your opinions matter and go into making Spotify the best product it can be. Keep it coming!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
920 Replies

@rymclarney8388 wrote:

looks like version 0.8.7 is working for a lot of people. Does anyone have a link for that version?

Here you go.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

PrinceWatercres wrote:

Do yourself a favor and use the v0.8.7 fix mentioned in the thread about v0.8.5 crashing/closing down upon startup before you jet. You won't be disappointed.

Seems to be workin juste fine! 

Grazie mille

Wait, where did you get 6.5???   I've found the download for spotify-0-6-3-37-es-en-mac.dmg ... but not 6.5

That's an exe file you've linked too and you're on the MAC/Linux thread.  Thanks though, the effort is still appreciated!

I remember when I first learned to read too ...

This is the desktop help thread, not the Mac/Linux help thread.

krztoff wrote:

You're basically saying "There is no solution to your issue" in more dismissive terms.

Or, you're S.O.L.  Update and like it.  You're MY [Swearing-Peter] now.

Since they've stated up front now that older versions won't be supported, my decision to cancel Spotify is clear - as I don't like the direction the newer desktop app is going, and find the web-app lacking.  I could carry on with old versions but I don't feel like investing any more time and money into a product that is going nowhere fast.

I spent a good part of yesterday testing out Google All Access, and their web-app works better than the 0.9.0 Spotify desktop app.  Better organization features / layout,  very fast and smooth interface, and it can integrate seamlessly with my own mp3 collection (once uploaded).  Google knows how to do web-apps right.  The only feature I miss is playlist folders.  I even found a way to do last.fm scrobbling by adding a browser script.   Most likely the color scheme will be tweakable via script as well.  So I'm considering either Google's service or Rdio at this point.  As an Android user and considering the $8 early adopter rate, Google is looking very promising to me.

Spotify Apps on Windows descktop have been buggy and have had some working remove them and they won't reinstall. Crashing on startup issues.

After having apps like musicmatch and tunewiki working at some point then not working and unable to reinstall I decided to cancel my unimited subscription.

IF IT WORKED I'D BUY IT BUT IT DOESN'T

AND I'M NOT YOUR BETA TESTER SPOTIFY !!!!!!!!

AM I YELLING AND P'ED OFF - YES I AM

heres my feedback...Get your fek*in act together!!  It's all been royally goosed since about  v8.5 and that was looooong time ago!

Suggestions:

• Starred Playlist - The display order in the profile preview of tracks should be descending order (latest to oldest). Also, the continual reversion from public to secret is an annoying known bug, but one that has yet to be fixed when it is a seemingly simple task.
  • Profile - users should be able to erase recent activity if they so choose. Also the way I see my profile is not the way friends/the public see it (top tracks, for instance). There should be a "preview profile" link or something.
  • Activity feed - I would like to be able to comment on songs friends are listening to by clicking on the "______ listened to ___ ___" box. I'd like the option of sending them the message through spotify's inbox or on facebook. I don't want to send them a track they already listened to just to have a conversation about it/the artist.
  • Refresh option - I'd like to be able to refresh any page through the right click menu. I'm constantly having to quit and restart spotify to refresh a page, a problem exasperated by the swelling start up times.
  • Playlist display on profile - most people create and/or subscribe to a huge number of playlists. The current organization of one long continuous list with a preview of the first 5 songs is unwieldy. A possible solution would be a something like a two-pane file view browser.

I'm sure this has been said already, but the functionality of the message boards themselves is pretty dismal. The moderators are very helpful, but it's so hard to use the site to get the help. For instance, I wanted to search through this "Give us your feedback - 0.9.0" board to ensure I'm not repeating things, but you can't! There is no way to search within a discussion, which is infuriating when there are 813 messages and likely 1/4 or more of them repeat.

Specs:

iMac OS X 10.7.5 Lion

Spotify Premium v. 0.9.0.133.gd18ed589

Thanks alot man! Working like a charm 🙂 I was thinking cancelling and moving to wimp for a period(another great streaming service). 

I use up to 80% of my time in spotify looking for new music and listening to related artists, and I have loved spotify and been a premium member now for years, to the time where they first came around. So this issue with making it so much harder to browse related artists as you keep going back to "overview" everytime, instead of related artists where you were browsing is just so time consuming and annoying the hell out of me. 

I really hope you spotify staff can fix this issue with not going back to related artists when you check out new artists, but end up in overview and have to do things "all over" again, as you have done alot of great things. Kudos to the guys working in spotify, I am sure they have alot of heat these days, but to them that administrate these changes you need to get a grip before you loose a whole lot of costumer base. We have patience, but it's start wearing out now.

Also I use desktop app for spotify, with high quality streaming. Wimp have now started to work on flac streaming, and I hope you guys follow up on this!. I hope you dont put less effort into desktop app(I use it 100%) and never use any webbrowser plugin for spotify. I never posted on here and been a happy camper for years now, but these recent months with changes, and by every update I dont see any issues solved my patience runs out

hi meredith

if you want us to use versions from spotify.com , could you please host 0.8.5 / 0.8.7 on there and not force auto-updates on people running that version?  you can be sure that people using legacy versions are running legit software then 🙂

@nk

hi meredith

if you want us to use versions from spotify.com , could you please host 0.8.5 / 0.8.7 on there and not force auto-updates on people running that version?  you can be sure that people using legacy versions are running legit software then :)

Lol. Great request 🙂 In the grand scheme of things that won't happen until "hell freezes over"... they are more likely to take the Aero Snap code from the v0.6 client and add it back to the v0.9 client 😉

@yeoldbastard66

Wimp have now started to work on flac streaming, and I hope you guys follow up on this!.

This. Spotify could be innovating at the high end and offering some awesome improvements, such as FLAC, to their customers.

Instead, they are ruining the music experience for their paying customers by doing all sorts of dumb stuff to monetize the free tier and forcing their paying customers to use the same client as the free tier.

Fortunately, Google realized the free tier doesn't make sense for so many reasons and is avoiding this giant tar pit. I have confidence Google won't repeat the many things Spotify has done to alienate their paying customers.

Thanks mutantdog!

I have just installed 0.8.7.111 over the top of 0.8.5.1333(?, I think). This installation acted just like an update, so no extensive messing about like when I reverted to 0.8.5 last April. 0.8.7.111 doesn't crash at startup for me. Also, it recognizes my previously synced tracks, which is what I was fearing regarding changing version. For me, I have vast playlists which I would greatly struggle to reproduce & now I can at least back-up the playlists I have collected over the years.

system: Win Vista Home 32bit

@brandAnonymous

Happy to hear you got v0.8.7 going without a lot of grief. Mutantdog deserves some props for digging up that version of the client, for sure. The one thing that I will miss when I leave Spotify when the old clients stop working will be the community. There's a lot of great people who use Spotify.

I am pretty sure FLAC streaming requires all new licenses, which considering how big Spotify is would be considerably time consuming and expensive. It would also require an infrastructure overhaul and increase operational costs.

Flac streaming consumes WAY WAY too much bandwidth.  Ain't gonna happen.  But support for local playback COULD happen, I'm just not holding my breath.  It would actually be a pretty simple job to code it, and since FLAC is open source, there is no licensing issues on the playback end of things.

I can't really take the credit for finding 0.8.7. Someone else mentioned it back in the early days of Horrible Update (seems so long ago now), I've no idea who but big props to them anyway.

Seems to be working fine still for me, but it sure takes its time starting up.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

@meahtenoha wrote:

Hi everyone,

We're aware that Spotify version 0.8.5 is crashing for some users. We've taken a look at the cases and it seems we have two groups of folks experiencing the issue. 

The first group is composed of folks running Mac 10.5. We suspect some users who installed version 0.8.5. from our site are having new problems and we're currently investigating the cause. Please check this thread for updates

The second group are folks composed of users who are not running Mac 10.5. Previously, we offered version 0.8.5. specifically because the legacy version was more stable Mac 10.5. However, we can't promise that the legacy version will function properly on newer, officially supported operating systems.

If you fall into the demographic of folks that personally prefer version 0.8.5. due to design or feature reasons, please know that we're listening to your feedback over here. Spotify recommends that you only use versions of Spotify hosted on Spotify.com

Thanks for escalating this issue with OS X 10.5. We'll update you shortly

Hi Meredith, you pointed us folks from the"spotify crashes as soon as it opens" thread to this one saying that you have adressed the 8.5 crashing situation in this "Give us your feedback - 0.9.0" thread. I do not understand your redirect. I have been having problems with 0.8.5 crashing at startup all of a sudden on May, 15, 2013.

Further, I do not fall into either of the two groups you describe as I am a windows user. I did find an answer to my Spoify crashing in this thread, tho. Is that what you meant to accomplish with pointing here?

I have not tried 0.9.0 yet, so I maybe I shouldn't be talking to this thread. From what people are saying about 0.9.0 I won't likely be trying it unless we premium users get some uninterrupted service that we had previously been accustomed to from subsequent versions of Spotify. Thanks for showing the subscribers that Spotify is listening to us experiencing issues that prevent us from using the service we pay for & have been enjoying for the past few years. 

Suggested posts