Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

Solved!

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

67 Replies

I'm having this auto launch problem still on Mac OSX 10.9.5.

Spotify opens in background when I start iTunes.

I couldn't understand why it seemed to be happening randomly. Now however I've narrowed it down. 

Oddly it only happens when I first launch iTunes.

So I open iTunes, Spotify starts in background, I quit both programs, I re-open iTunes and only iTunes starts.

Spotify preferences: Don't open automatically.

Local Files Spotify preferences: No link to any of my own music.

Mac System Preferences: Login Items: Completely blank.

iTunes version 12.01.26

I'm on the free version of Spotify. This is really irrititating. I don't use Spotify very often.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Spotify has began ignoring my preferences again with the latest version 1.0.2.6.g9977a14b.

It looks like there's been some changes to the preferences and Spotify took it apon themselves to change my existing preference of don't start automatically to start automatically. 

Either Spotify has evil and annoying intentions with this type of stuff or they have a bunch of incompotent software developers.

I finally found a solution! Trash the Spoitify app and use Rdio.

Never happier!

Same here!! I change my preferences so that Spotify doesn't start autmatically on start up but every time the PC starts up, not only does Spotify open automatically but the setting has been reset! Sooo annoying
Marked as solution

Problem was solved for me with the latest Spotify automatic update 🙂

preferences doesnt open. cant scroll anywhere

Got a notification about Kudos for this in my e-mail.

This issue broke my Spotify reliance and I found other options and and perfectly happy to be free of Spotify.

Never act like Malware if you want to keep customers!

It is actually very easy! If you have the newest Spotify update: Click Edit in the top left corner and select Preferences then scroll down to "Startup and Window Behaviour". There should be something that says: "Open Spotify automatically after you log in to your computer". Click on "minimized" next to it and select "No" then you're all set!

No, that doesn't work, although I agree with you that it should! That is the first thing I tried. It is as if Spotify ignores this request. (If you read earlier in the thread, you'll see that other people have said this has not worked for them either.)

I used the function where you can turn it off, you go file - preferences - then scroll down to the bottom and click advanced settings - then click on the button that says 'minimised' next to turn on automatically and click no.

This appears to be a new Spotify 'feature' that it completely ignors the app preferences and start 4 threads and the player on my desktop every time I stat.  Even with the Statup option set to 'NO'
   Not impressed 

Rusty

The best sollution is canceling your account like i did

i simply hate it when a program is not controllable

@clairev wrote:

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

so goodbey spotify

I've been having the same issue since the last Spotify patch few days ago. Spotify seems to be ignoring the "no" automatic startup setting under Startup and Windows Behaviour.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro (with latest Creators build) with Spotify version 1.0.58.573.g57c9cd87

For now I'll try and deactivate the Spotify autostart in my task manager.

----------------------

EDIT: Deactivating the Spotify autostart in the task manager did the job for now. By the way, why are there multiple Spotify entries?

Spotify WIN10 Autostart.JPG

This is NOT acceptable.   They have preferences and they are just ignored.   Why do I need to have an icon in the system tray and also in the taskbar when it is open??? Also when I clicked on closing it in the system tray I get an error that it is unable to open once I have exited.   Nice nice feature !!!!

Marked as solution

It does indeed ignore the "no" at the "startup" setting. I noticed I had "can be opened from the internet" switch turned on, in the same section, and experimentally I turned it off. When I rebooted, the computer did not launch Spotify.

Edit/Added: I didn't even find the app under the startup neither in the activity manager nor the MSCONFIG so there wasn't an option to turn it off by tinkering with the autostart settings in Windows. The only option I had "on" was the "open from web", which I experimentally turned off.

I'm experiencing the problem of Spotify ignoring the 'Open automatically after you log into the computer' setting when it's set to No. I found that the workaround was to disable Spotify Web Helper in Autoruns (but MSCONFIG will work too).

How poor must Spotify's development processes be that basic functionality like this keeps getting broken? Whatever happened to testing updates properly before pushing them out!? Sort it out Spotify!

Same situation here. Sure the "start up automatically" option in Spotify set to "No" and it keep ignoring my setting. It was doing good before I updated my Spotify few days before. Now it shows up every time I start my PC. REALLY ANNOYING.

Wow! This problem has been ongoing for over 5years. Surely time enough to fix it. In the 6months or so that I have had S Premium, the app has always appeared on my taskbar on PC startup. Now it has started to open on the screen. I have unticked the, "open spotify automatically on start up," box, but it still starts up.  I'm just a regular guy who likes music. I don't like the feeling that my computer is being controlled by others. Guess I will be looking at what other music services are out there. Or. Come on Spotify. Fix it.

Marked as solution

Disabling the Load From Web option worked for me too!  Rebooted the computer, and it didn't automatically load.

Disabling the Load From Web option also worked for me. Hopefully the next update fixes this glitch.

Suggested posts