Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Airplay for the Desktop Version

I would love to have Airplay built in the app itself, so I don't need another program such as Airfoil.

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is on the Newsroom blog for updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas!

Comments
iclems

Same here — Have been testing Apple Music extensively today and considering moving for this feature + Apple Watch offline support. 

Not buying premium because routing all my audio does not implement the proper WMM spec which causes the audio to stutter (and NO I'm not going to turn off WMM on my router, because A: it won't let me, and B: it's part of the WiFi N spec and obligated).

Spotify should implement AirPlay themselves instead of the OS "route all audio" feature so that they can implement the proper WMM classification and let everything work as it is supposed to be, OUT OF THE BOX.

Scandalous.

Routing all audio as is currently suggested in the FAQ (https://support.spotify.com/us/article/Stream-Spotify-using-Airplay/) is not a working solution as this has the wrong WMM classification and thus audio will stutter (even on good quality connections).

Only way to set the right WMM class is by implementing AirPlay in the spotify app itself. Since Mac OS 10.8 the AirPlay API is public / usable. Here is the tutorial your developers should be able to follow:

https://joris.kluivers.nl/blog/2012/07/25/per-application-airplay-in-mountain-lion/

Please, implement this in your next sprint, and help all Apple Mac users have a more seamless experience with Spotify and AirPlay. My wife is already using Spotify Premium and I was considering going to Spotify too. However, this is a major lacking feature for me and will probably have us ending up with an Apple Music Family subscription for me and my wife. You're losing customers here!

This ticket is kinda a duplicate of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Airplay-in-the-desktop-version-of-Spotify/idi-p/199

Best Regards,

An iOS / Apple developer that considered moving to Sweden to work for Spotify.

darb6000

bugger i was hoping this would work, i often use spotify in my study / studio ... but i want to airplay to the yamaha aventage amps in the main part of house.

Itunes does it wonderfully (except it's Itunes and thus sucks a golfball through a garden hose).   Don't really have any choice.

There is spotify app within the yamaha, but it simply requires the spotify app on IOS ... and the app on windows won't engage with it.

if anyone has a way i can "spotify" to my yamaha amps from my windows 10 studio machine would be fantastic.

it's all via wired gigabit connection.

@darb6000I don't think there are any problems when on wired networks, this is mainly a wifi/WMM problem.
darb6000

@user-removed oh really, thanks!  So how is it done, should i be looking for a little airplay icon to appear within my spotify app on my windows 10 PC?

@darb6000 Sorry, I was replying in the context of my own message. Apple has not build an AirPlay audio device for windows sadly. You will need a third party tool like Airfoil or TuneBlade to stream from windows if it is not built into spotify.
darb6000

ok yeah thanks ... i know apple itunes will talk airplay to my amps from the same PC, but it must be something spotify have not builtin to their program.

Begs the question why not though ... if itunes can easily have some code builtin to it, why can't Spotify.

Perhaps Apple want some licensing $$ for it and Spotify don't want to pay it.

I did notice just now it's picked up the "spotify connect" function running on my amp so i might try that... which bypasses the need for airplay. 

Steph_B
Hey there!

Thanks for your feedback, we'll pass it along to the team.

We'll merge this with the thread you mentioned. Any updates will be posted there.
drfrogsplat

Just came back, 5 months after cancelling my premium subscription, to see the update in this thread... "Not Right Now"... fantastic work Spotify.

The ridiculous thing is this feature is so trivial to impelment (and has been since 2012)

https://joris.kluivers.nl/blog/2012/07/25/per-application-airplay-in-mountain-lion/