Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Installation location spotify

Solved!

Installation location spotify

Is it possible to install Spotify on a different location then in the profile. We are using roaming profiles and it's not really helpfull if a application like this uses about 50mb of profile space.

Best,

Delarian

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I just cut-and-pasted the Spotify-folder to another location, and ran the executable. Worked like a charm, and my roaming profile is clean 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Since nobody posted this solution:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

You can create junctions to refer to different locations. Hence you can change the install location.

With friendly regards,

TCR

View solution in original post

64 Replies

I have the same question. The installation process is really quick and neat, but maybe a little too much? Being able to select a different install locaation seems like a good demand. Also, the ability to choose where the cache is stored during installation (to save some admin work) would be very nice.

To Spotify: A pro installer perhaps, with the same software but a more competent insaller?

Regards

Johan

Bump!

*Bump*

Here is my issue:

I noticed there were spotify.exe and uninstall.exe in the Application data folder and two Spotify in "Add/Remove program".

I've always had only one - under c:\Program Files\Spotify

Application Data folder is not the place to put exe-files, common sense!

If a user wants to install a new program, then he/she need to talk the admin to avoid security breaches.

I also try to avoid installing programs on the system disk, i.e. i always install them on another disk like D:\Programs\

This i want to do, but it seems I can not do that with Spotify. 

Not possible. Spotify install is in AppData. You can not change this folder to another.

Lies, it is possible. It is a matter of implementation. 

Spotify install is default to AppData. Years ago it was Program Files.

You can not change this, so it is not possible. Of course Spotify can add it to Install process, but you need to ask, add Idea to Idea forum.

*bump*

I also need this, hogging AppData with roaming profiles is bad, at least give us an alternative!

Marked as solution

I just cut-and-pasted the Spotify-folder to another location, and ran the executable. Worked like a charm, and my roaming profile is clean 🙂

Interesting... will try! 😃

EDIT: Works fine 😄 thanks mate!

You're welcome 🙂 I was very (very!) happy that it worked.

It's still mallware behaviour to install binaries inside the user profile. And enough reason to blacklist this application. What helps is automatically cleaning the contents of the spotify directory with a loginscript, then denying everyone access to it using ACL's. Spotify will run but wont be able to store any settings anymore.

But there are 2 Folder! Roaming and local. So it is Not possible to just  move "the" (1) spotfify  Folder.

As a  User i like to get Asked where a Software will Install  to. For me, this  behavior is Unprofesional. I cleand it and will Not install it again.  Why Not Running it directly from the Browser? Why a exe?

@mclach wrote:

But there are 2 Folder! Roaming and local. So it is Not possible to just  move "the" (1) spotfify  Folder.

As a  User i like to get Asked where a Software will Install  to. For me, this  behavior is Unprofesional. I cleand it and will Not install it again.  Why Not Running it directly from the Browser? Why a exe?

Good news is, Spotify Web Player is currently in beta, being tested by a small number of users.

Fingers crossed it will be available soon, you can check out the discussion and latest news on this thread.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks Kyrien. I used the trick in my mini-laptop to move from disk C: to disk D, because my old Asus Eee had no space to download a playlist for offline listening.

I should note that after copying the folder, you have to remove the folder from disk C. I also uninstalled Spotify. Then, go to D and click Spotify Launcher. Of course, you can also copy it to your desktop.

"Like to install the latest version of Spotify? Just restart Spotify to upgrade."

Need to manually "install" unpack (to hard-coded path) new version and move it again.

Any hope next version will ask me where I want it installed?

Sorry, but doing so (moving the folder and fixing the shortcuts) will just write Spotify back to your AppData folder the next time it wants to update. Furthermore, when updating in this fashion, Spotify will set itself to autostart on login again, which should not be done once I've set it to disabled - an upgrade should respect this but does not. It will still be in your Program Files folder too, but every time you run it from there, it will want to update/restart and then it runs from your AppData folder again. Stupid design choice by Spotify, and while it's not quite as bat-poop insane as, say, Microsoft's choice to install Age of Empires Online (a game that measures in at ~10 GB or more) to your AppData folder (even though the latter installs in Local rather than Roaming), it's still just bad design. Tried to solve it using symlinks instead, but then my Users folder also ends up being written to ProgramFiles which I do not want, obviously. "Users" folder goes in AppData, the rest goes in ProgramFiles. It's as simple as that.

Spotify, PLEASE let us choose our install location (like it used to be - why did you "fix" this when it wasn't broken to begin with?) and don't try to force us to use AppData for reasons unknown. AppData is NOT meant for installing executables and shared data into. Doing so is considered bad form by most coders as well as administrators, and even, as someone said, could be considered malicious behavior as it attempts to circumvent user privileges. As the suggested workaround, while sound in theory, doesn't really work because of the weird hardcoded way your updater works, please award us the courtesy of being able to choose our install location. Installing to AppData is not okay for every scenario or user. There are those of us who have our own computers and want to only install into ProgramFiles (as it should be done), and there are those of us who run roaming profiles at work and don't want our networks sunk by a thousand copies of Spotify being moved back and forth every time the users log in and out.

Installing binaries in appdata is no longer acceptable.  Many companies are not blocking outright any binaries in the app data structure and it is being recommended by Microsoft to do so.

Unable to install or update spotify because it is doing so.  Data okay, Binaries not okay.

Blocking against things like Cryptolocker

All .exe's launched from any of the following locations (based on the OS) will be blocked:

For Windows 7:

Path: %AppData%\*.exe

Path: %AppData%\*\*.exe

Path: %LocalAppData%\*.exe

Path: %LocalAppData%\*\*.exe 

MOST software doesn't do this.  Binaries are in Program Files or Program Files (x86) with perhaps user specific data in AppData....

I wanted to install it and buy the premium services. But once i realized that i´m not able to choose the installation directory i will remove it and not install it again. I´m sure there are some more professional competitors.

Bumping this again for 2014. I'm a premium customer since about middle of last year. I recently upgraded my computer to a 120GB SSD as my primary windows partition. I'm very dismayed when I just found out about this inflexibility.

I now have very little space left on my SSD partition and want my spotify to be installed to my 1TB HDD partition. Dude, what were you guys smoking when writing spotify?? 😞 😞 😞

PLEASE PLEASE put this on your main priority on the improvement list.

Suggested posts