Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Liking a song in radio skips to the next track and stops

Liking a song in radio skips to the next track and stops

Hello,

I'm using Linux Desktop Spotify version 0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c and today I've noticed, that when I press "Thumbs Up" icon in Radio mode near the Current Track icon in the middle, Spotify tells me that it is improving my radio, but then something unexpected happens - it Skips to the Next Track and Stops.

Is this an intended behaviour (or a bug) ? if yes, then it is quite an annoing feature, considering Spotify does not allow to press Previous button in Radio mode   😐

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS with all possible updates downloaded today.

Waiting for response.

20 Replies

I got the same problem with the same version (0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c) on Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. Also, if I continue the radio after the described situation, the next song will be played twice. It is very annoying and cannot be the expected behaviour. It works as expected on Windows. I hope this gets some attention.

I'm using the same version (0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c) in windows and am having the same problem as me_sha.  Just one more data point from a different OS.

Hello heidik, I think it would be helpful to know which version of windows you are using.

deleting spotifys cache files helps temporarly for me, but not for long.

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1.

I'm having the same issue on Ubuntu 14.10

Same version, same problem, Arch Linux 3.18.2-2, two different window managers (IceWM 1.3.8, Enlightenment 18.8), three different notification daemons (Enlightenment, Deepin, Mate.) I would bet the problem is on Spotify's server side, not our Spotify clients, because it was working properly before. Spotify, please revert your server code.

Weak workaround: Instead of clicking thumbs up, click "..." and add track to "Liked from radio" list.

Weak workaround: Instead of clicking thumbs up, click "..." and add track to "Liked from radio" list.

But will this improve my current radio playlist ? or is it just useful for bookmarking a track ? 🙂

After some experimenting, I think the only effect of adding to "Liked from Radio" is that you have it bookmarked.

Here's another idea for a workaround: use Last.fm for your likes and Spotibot for your "radio".

Long version: Create a Last.fm account if you don't already have one, install the Last.fm plugin in Spotify, select Last.fm on the left, and when you like a track go to "Now playing" and select "Loved". Once you have built up some likes, go to http://www.spotibot.com/playlist-generator/#lastfm, mark the checkbox for "loved tracks", and generate a playlist. Then load the playlist in Spotify. (I must use the copy-and-paste method, where it says "Button not work? Click here.") Bonus: much more variety than Spotify radio. Minuses: can't start "radio" with just a click or two, and can't do genre playlists based on likes, unless you create multiple Last.fm accounts. (Surprisingly, that does not seem to violate Last.fm's terms of service.)

I am encountering the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS with Spotify 0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c.

It's rather annoying, as this feature used to work correctly. I have become accustomed to instinctively swtiching to the Spotify window when an awesome track comes on my radio station, and now, instead of just noting my enthusiastic response without interruption, it disrupts my listening experience.

+1, this effectively breaks the radio feature in desktop linux, and the web player *still* cannot use high quality streaming.

Better workaround: After you thumb up a track and the station annoyingly stops, hit "back" ("<"). That's all!

After you hit "back", the station continues from the next song. The track is added to Liked from Radio and indeed has a green thumb up if you see it again. (I tested with a new station and new likes.) Obviously, wait until near the end of the track to thumb up, if you want to hear the track.

If you've been browsing, then one "back" may not suffice. Try multiple backs. Alternatively, after you're done browsing, hit "back" until you're back to the radio station, and then you won't have that problem.

Sad bump -- any chance we could get this looked at?

+1. It's very irritating when you are jamming to a great song you just discovered and thumbin it up stops the song 😞 To make it even worse, the next song you play goes on repeat. Feels like a real douchebag move from Spotify when that happens.

Is there a reply from Spotify ? This bug is so annoying. The radio feature is almost unusable now 😞

This is my primary use of spotify. I have been listening to the radio on linux for years as a happy paying member and been one of the main reasons I suggest it to other engineer friends.

I noticed this issue a few months ago and assumed the spotify devs would figure it out but no dice. This is really inconvenient and has me wondering what I am paying for.

Another friend of mine just backed out of getting his full paid membbership because the experience was so bad.

You guys did so well with making a linux client, adding dbus support for scripting, etc etc. Please fix this! I want to love spotify again.

For what it's worth, I've been using windows spotify in wine without much issue for the past few weeks. You need to blacklist dwrite.dll (see the wine appdb page) but it seems to work fine with no audio hiccups.

Update: Radio is back and working in the new 1.0.1 beta. \o/

Experiencing the same bug: liking a song in radio skips to next song and stops. If I like the song I want to continue listening to it! 

Windows Vista SP 2, Spotify 0.9.10.14.g578d350b

Suggested posts